Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

Looks to me like a pointy-object was used to place it.

Not necessarilly. Judging by the comments I'd say a pointy-object was used to collect soil samples. Then a clever cacher took advantage of an existing hole. It's all a matter of semantics. Very kewl camo!

:huh:

Ok, let's take that to another level. If I brought out our new cute little Bobcat and excavated your front yard about 24" deep, then dumped it in my back yard, it'd be ok, right?

It's just semantics, after all. I wasn't really tearing up your yard - I was cleverly re-landscaping mine.

Maybe i'm not the only one who can't connect the two?

I did just use a hole that was left there, in fact there are many of the holes around there, I have to disable the cache occasionally because the school goes out to make collections and don't always 'replace their divots'.

Sheesh, I was looking for a place to hide the ammo can, saw a hole that it would actually fit in, just set the thing in it and put some dead grass on top. I told the reviewer what it was and it was okay'd. Simply put I didn't use a pointy object to dig a hole for the purpose of hiding the cache and the cache is not buried. It hid well so I thought I'd share it. There is nothing wrong with it, if you don't like it thats fine, we're all entitled to our opinion. But don't go and say it should be archived, isn't allowed, breaks the rules, yada yada; because it simply isn't true.

I guess I find it amusing because of the 9,000+ soil samples we've taken, they've always been round... I'm not sure what you'd do with a shovel full of dirt... Not have it analyzed by a lab, so I guess now I'm curious what they're doing with it?

Looks to me like a pointy-object was used to place it.

Not necessarilly. Judging by the comments I'd say a pointy-object was used to collect soil samples. Then a clever cacher took advantage of an existing hole. It's all a matter of semantics. Very kewl camo!

:huh:

Ok, let's take that to another level. If I brought out our new cute little Bobcat and excavated your front yard about 24" deep, then dumped it in my back yard, it'd be ok, right?

It's just semantics, after all. I wasn't really tearing up your yard - I was cleverly re-landscaping mine.

Maybe i'm not the only one who can't connect the two?

I did just use a hole that was left there, in fact there are many of the holes around there, I have to disable the cache occasionally because the school goes out to make collections and don't always 'replace their divots'.

Sheesh, I was looking for a place to hide the ammo can, saw a hole that it would actually fit in, just set the thing in it and put some dead grass on top. I told the reviewer what it was and it was okay'd. Simply put I didn't use a pointy object to dig a hole for the purpose of hiding the cache and the cache is not buried. It hid well so I thought I'd share it. There is nothing wrong with it, if you don't like it thats fine, we're all entitled to our opinion. But don't go and say it should be archived, isn't allowed, breaks the rules, yada yada; because it simply isn't true.

Put VERY well! From what I have gathered (and I bet I get alot of sh!t on this one) is we have a newer person trying their best to be a troll...unless it's a newr id....

Edited by wandat24

Put VERY well! From what I have gathered (and I bet I get alot of sh!t on this one) is we have a newer person trying their best to be a troll...unless it's a newr id....

Are you referring to me? I can't imagine that's the case since I have more finds and more posts than you, and have been a member longer... But by the same token, I'm the one questioning the hide, and questioning soil samples that don't meet a standard that would be used by a lab, and therefore, I'm asking what they're used for and by whom?

Edited by Adrenalynn

Are you referring to me? I can't imagine that's the case since I have more finds and more posts than you, and have been a member longer... But by the same token, I'm the one questioning the hide, and questioning soil samples that don't meet a standard that would be used by a lab, and therefore, I'm asking what they're used for and by whom?

hmm lets see Member Since Wednesday, January 18, 2006 for you, Member Since Sunday, February 06, 2005.... HMMM yeah ok.... I am starting a new post, because like it was said before we shouldn't hijack this one.. If you are so sure you want to keep going you will find me on a topic of Continued from CCC, but since it is a bit Off Topic It'll be under the off topic, with any luck it won't get shut down.... I like making my points clear and like seeing other's opinions on my opinions.. may give me a few moments to get it done though....

hmm lets see Member Since Wednesday, January 18, 2006 for you, Member Since Sunday, February 06, 2005.... HMMM yeah ok.... I am starting a new post, because like it was said before we shouldn't hijack this one.. If you are so sure you want to keep going you will find me on a topic of Continued from CCC, but since it is a bit Off Topic It'll be under the off topic, with any luck it won't get shut down.... I like making my points clear and like seeing other's opinions on my opinions.. may give me a few moments to get it done though....

Sorry, misread the year, my mistake. More caches, more posts still stands - unless I've misread that?

OK....... :huh:

How about some plastic fruit or vegetables hollowed out to hold a 35mm film container

giftsandflorals_1894_12319942.jpg

the craft store has alot of good stuff

Shredded Burlap bags and glue

or

Plastic Plants

or

I saw some Fake moss

or

Squirrels, Rabbits, , Turtles that can be found at a lawn and garden store

One of these artificial Saguaro cactuses would be fun :P 55 inches high

mc13010.jpg

more cactus plants HERE

OK....... :huh:

How about some plastic fruit or vegetables hollowed out to hold a 35mm film container

or

Plastic Plants

or

I saw some Fake moss

or

One of these artificial Saguaro cactuses would be fun :P 55 inches high

mc13010.jpg

more cactus plants HERE

LOL that cactus would be fun I have seen a fake lemon on a lemon tree before and they do pretty well.

OK....... :)

or

Plastic Plants

or

I saw some Fake moss

or

I've thought of something similar... I've been thinking about taking a lot and making a fruit bowl (or buying one already put together), and then taking it out into the middle of nowhere and place it at the bottom of a tree. In fact really wanting to do something like this with one cache I'm fixing to adopt.

I'm hoping the cache owner didn't "modify" the rail. They are there as a protective barrier for vehicles. Take a couple of bolts out to make a swinging hidden container, and you may weaken the strength of the barrier.

I'm guessing the cache owner didn't have permission to remove any bolts...

Ed

There is only one bolt holding that one foot block in place, it just holds it against the actual backer, the post in the ground. So long as that spacer (that moves) is in place, in an impact situation, it will still serve its purpose.

Those are loose anyway, only one bolt holds it in place, when you only have one 1" bolt, the member not in the ground is freewheel (can turn on bolt). See the nuts on the single bolt on the back of the members that are in the ground?

I think it's clever, maybe dangerous a bit being on a roadside, but that's not really an issue, just not very kid friendly.

no, most of them freespin if they aremoved away from the upright. if not heat and cold and water swelling would cause stress (central fl gets really hot)

to answer another question, no i didn't tighten the nut, i simply moved the block flush with the upright. since nothing is in perfect allignment it fits really snug.

you're right, not kid-friendly. but, not my hide.

I guess I find it amusing because of the 9,000+ soil samples we've taken, they've always been round... I'm not sure what you'd do with a shovel full of dirt... Not have it analyzed by a lab, so I guess now I'm curious what they're doing with it?

The history/mystery of the hole.

Actually right now it is disabled because my class is going out to take samples just like the prevous classes did. If you would like I would be happy to post a copy of my lab report on population dynamics of bacteria and fungal spores comparing the dry dirt to wet dirt as an ecosystem for micro organisms.

We're students in a bio class, not soil sampling pros, sorry that our holes aren't perfect little cylindars. The shovels the class has are flat fronted ones, apparently they are safer in college students' hands :). Hence the un-round hole. Every class goes out, looks around for those fungus circles (which can be deceptivley huge) and takes a couple cubic feet of dirt from dry dirt and wet dirt (near the creek) so that everyone in the class gets a couple cups to sift through. Then do the same in areas that have a higher chance of containing bacteria, like on a shore of a body of water that does not flow.

That is where my hole came from, probably from atleast a year ago when my prof last taught this class.

Edited by scavok

I don't know how many other people i speak for but for the love of pete.... who cares. We're cachers, not cops. we all know not to bury a cache. I'd like to see more pictures of caches.

thank you.

Amen, I've got a 5 star i'm finishing up. Can't wait to post it. There is a prize for FTF so I will have to wait until its found to put its pic up :wub:

Ya know those big tubs you can get at Wal-Mart to keep stuff in? I've been thinking about taking one of them and cutting a hole into the side of it, putting a reinforcement of some kind in it, then taking it out to the woods somewhere and covering it up with dirt, leaves and the such. Then using it to hide the actual cache..... I have been a bit worried of something trying out their "squatter’s rights".

I have been a bit worried of something trying out their "squatter’s rights".

Just be sure that the hole is too small for a skunk to fit into. Most other critters wouldn't bother me as much, but a skunk would be bad.

I don't know how many other people i speak for but for the love of pete.... who cares. We're cachers, not cops. we all know not to bury a cache. I'd like to see more pictures of caches.

thank you.

X2, well put.

DAryl

Edited by Jeonlyep

Maybe I shouldn't show this one.

penny1.JPG

penny3.JPG

If you look close you can see the string that ties the penny to the cache container. You have to reach through the crack to the left of where you find the penny, and pull the container up by the string to reach it.

I didn't put the hole there!

DAryl

Maybe I shouldn't show this one.

penny1.JPG

penny3.JPG

If you look close you can see the string that ties the penny to the cache container. You have to reach through the crack to the left of where you find the penny, and pull the container up by the string to reach it.

I didn't put the hole there!

DAryl

Are ya sure? Naw sorry... it looks COOL! I may "borrow" that idea, if I could...... and Jeonlyep How can I make sure a skunk can't get in it? I thought they was kinda like cats.... Ya know? If they can get their Noses in they can fit? Maybe I'm wrong there, but I was also thinking about making it where you can see where the hole is, but placeing a door over it instead of leaving it all open.... You'd just have to be right up on top of it

Edited to add: MAN! you have a WONDERFUL! camera I am actually able to see the fish line in the first pic. I had to move it up and down (the page that is) to be sure it wasn't on my glasses or the monitor

Edited by wandat24

can anyone tell me how to place pine bark (that fell off the old pine tree in my back yard :wub: ) onto a plastic (rather small) container that has a screwon lid where youcan't see any of it????

Spray it brown first to match with plastic enamel (I like American Heritage Plastic Enamel when painting our cameras), then use a silicon-based adhesive?

can anyone tell me how to place pine bark (that fell off the old pine tree in my back yard :wub: ) onto a plastic (rather small) container that has a screwon lid where youcan't see any of it????

Spray it brown first to match with plastic enamel (I like American Heritage Plastic Enamel when painting our cameras), then use a silicon-based adhesive?

aw cool, thanks i'll have to try that next time... the fishing line idea i did have didn't work....

Jeonlyep How can I make sure a skunk can't get in it? I thought they was kinda like cats.... Ya know? If they can get their Noses in they can fit? Maybe I'm wrong there, but I was also thinking about making it where you can see where the hole is, but placeing a door over it instead of leaving it all open.... You'd just have to be right up on top of it

Yea going to be hard, the door thing would work. Or pad lock it... Pics coming in the next couple of days....

Edited to add: MAN! you have a WONDERFUL! camera I am actually able to see the fish line in the first pic. I had to move it up and down (the page that is) to be sure it wasn't on my glasses or the monitor

Thanks, but it's really a 3 year old POS Toshiba 3.2 MPix

DAryl

Thanks, but it's really a 3 year old POS Toshiba 3.2 MPix

DAryl

Cool, still a REALLY good pic taker!! :wub: to show that much detail..... I think I'm gonna work on making that container... heck if i can get it sealed right I could just use it for an OVERLY large cache itself lol

can anyone tell me how to place pine bark (that fell off the old pine tree in my back yard huh.gif ) onto a plastic (rather small) container that has a screwon lid where youcan't see any of it????

I've found that Rustoleum Rusty Metal Spray Primer is a VERY good choice for blending things in with red pine logs and needles...

I usually use two even coats of the primer, then spray a real light, broken pattern of flat black to add some shading (also use a flat Hunter or OD green, if it will be hidden with moss or grass along with pine needles)....Then a REAL light coat of the primer again to soften the black and/or green...

teh primer and flat colors dry pretty quick...i have had ammo cans painted like this done from start to finish, and placed within 4-6 hours...

Edited by Cracker.

can anyone tell me how to place pine bark (that fell off the old pine tree in my back yard huh.gif ) onto a plastic (rather small) container that has a screwon lid where youcan't see any of it????

I've found that Rustoleum Rusty Metal Spray Primer is a VERY good choice for blending things in with red pine logs and needles...

The metal primer will often flake off plastic. Stick with the stuff made for plastic.

I usually use two even coats of the primer, then spray a real light, broken pattern of flat black to add some shading (also use a flat Hunter or OD green, if it will be hidden with moss or grass along with pine needles)....Then a REAL light coat of the primer again to soften the black and/or green...

teh primer and flat colors dry pretty quick...i have had ammo cans painted like this done from start to finish, and placed within 4-6 hours...

This would prolly work, but I'm placeing it against the trunk of the tree, it's about a 10 ft tall tree and the closest brank is almost 6 ft off the ground. I'm going to put the bark on it the use fishing line from the lowest branch to hang the cache where hight impared people (like me) can reach it :blink:

This would prolly work, but I'm placeing it against the trunk of the tree, it's about a 10 ft tall tree and the closest brank is almost 6 ft off the ground. I'm going to put the bark on it the use fishing line from the lowest branch to hang the cache where hight impared people (like me) can reach it :blink:

left out a part... the fishing line idea i said i had that didn't work was to use it to put the bark on the tube

Sure, it's pretty easy, but doesn't work well for every situation. Drill small holes randomly over the area you're trying to attach to. Use hot glue to attach. When you push the two objects together the hot glue will push through the small holes and create many tiny rivet-like grippers. The hot glue will fill the holes and keep the container waterproof at the same time, too. :blink:

I live in a ver Urban area and finding places to hide caches is sometimes difficult. We have alot of mico caches in the area, 35mm film, match containers, etc. as you would expect living in a major city.

I've placed a few micro's out in the field and I try to give them alittle different spin. Here is one I just finished up. It's a WalMart waterproof match container (88 cents) but it's attached so something much different. I'll have to find a good hiding place and name for this one...but the GeoCache Gods come to mind :blink:

GeoGod.jpg

Sure, it's pretty easy, but doesn't work well for every situation. Drill small holes randomly over the area you're trying to attach to. Use hot glue to attach. When you push the two objects together the hot glue will push through the small holes and create many tiny rivet-like grippers. The hot glue will fill the holes and keep the container waterproof at the same time, too. :)

hey that'll work really well! It's a log and pen only, may have to make it a log only after doing th ehotglue. It's in my back yard close to the park, so I can check it if it gets REALLY hot, or cold (next winter). Thanks

I live in a ver Urban area and finding places to hide caches is sometimes difficult. We have alot of mico caches in the area, 35mm film, match containers, etc. as you would expect living in a major city.

I've placed a few micro's out in the field and I try to give them alittle different spin. Here is one I just finished up. It's a WalMart waterproof match container (88 cents) but it's attached so something much different. I'll have to find a good hiding place and name for this one...but the GeoCache Gods come to mind :lol:

GeoGod.jpg

heheheheh I like the GeCache Gods You could make a really cool/funny story to go with it... If I knew (could know) more about your area I could help ya with a story :lol:

GCRD79.jpg

GCRD792.jpg

GCRD793.jpg

I'm hoping the cache owner didn't "modify" the rail. They are there as a protective barrier for vehicles. Take a couple of bolts out to make a swinging hidden container, and you may weaken the strength of the barrier.

I'm guessing the cache owner didn't have permission to remove any bolts...

Ed

If you look at the picture it look like the each post only has one bolt to hold the rail on. So I don't think any bolt was removed.

Richard

Love the buoy!! And if it's turned just so.... you could be looking for hours without seeing it.

I love the Official "US Geocaching Site Logging Station" too! Some very creative people here.

I have one that I'd like to post, but will wait until it's found a couple times. :)

c37ca0d0-baef-468a-b4a4-7744c6f4aa5f.jpg

This is my recently finished Monkey Puzzle Cache.

I do not have plans for this container. If you do not have experience in locksmithing or mechanical engineering, it's VERY hard to explain how it works. The pieces must be made to fit and work as a mechanism. The need to make jigs to reproduce exact pieces has kept me from mass producing and selling them for now. I will try to get that done someday soon, but I'm too busy at the moment.

Ok, so I'm trying to plant larger caches in a very urban area. I'm look for ideas. I've got a couple of ideas from this post, however I want something original. I was planning a PVC one, until i saw a post that they are common.

I have access to a wood/machinery shop, anyone got any ideas that I could test out? Give me a good one and maybe ill mail you a duplicate... :)

A golf ball would be cool too.

i found the best way to core out a golf ball. when i go to the mountians i usually bring a few along and play a little gun golf. takes care of the core and leaves a nice hole when you fire it off the muzzle of the gun. get some great altitude too. :ph34r:

This begs the question, what is gun golf? I've played with several variations of tennis ball cannon and have plans for a, yet to be built, potato canon . . . but gun golf? :wub:

JohnTee