Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

Okay, here's one of my cache containers.

9eed9103-fab0-4878-b8c3-c65c89eba28b.jpg

There's a story behind this. I am known for unusual (some might say bizarre) urban caches. A local cacher was out searching for one of my other caches, without success. As he stopped to contemplate where I might have concealed the micro, he noticed a dove sitting in a nest in a nearby tree. At first, he thought nothing of it; but soon realized that the bird wasn’t moving. Upon more careful observation, he noticed that the bird wasn’t even blinking! Confident that he had found the cache, he reached out to snag the bird-camouflaged container. It was then that the terrified dove came out of her nest, flying just inches away from his head to escape his advances. After he regained normal breathing and heart rate, he realized the scope of his error. Seeing the obvious humor in the event, he emailed me his story so I, too, could have a good laugh.

After I stopped laughing (which took quite a long time BTW), I figured that a cache camouflaged as a bird was a great idea, and I set about to create the container you see above.

Edited by Silny Jako Bek

...I am known for unusual (some might say bizarre) urban caches. .

We were in Tucson last year and had a great time finding your caches. Laughed out loud at a couple of them. I see that you are keeping up the good work. :bad:

JARS

how do we make this a sticky topic?

BTW...Bump

call me dumb but what does BUMP mean?

erikwillke, the first time I saw "BUMP", I thought it was some rude, obscure geocaching humor . . . :bad:

I've since learned that it's a 'technique' to put the thread back at the top of the forum list to keep it in view.

JohnTee

There's a story behind this. I am known for unusual (some might say bizarre) urban caches. A local cacher was out searching for one of my other caches, without success. As he stopped to contemplate where I might have concealed the micro, he noticed a dove sitting in a nest in a nearby tree. At first, he thought nothing of it; but soon realized that the bird wasn’t moving. Upon more careful observation, he noticed that the bird wasn’t even blinking! Confident that he had found the cache, he reached out to snag the bird-camouflaged container. It was then that the terrified dove came out of her nest, flying just inches away from his head to escape his advances. After he regained normal breathing and heart rate, he realized the scope of his error. Seeing the obvious humor in the event, he emailed me his story so I, too, could have a good laugh.

After I stopped laughing (which took quite a long time BTW), I figured that a cache camouflaged as a bird was a great idea, and I set about to create the container you see above.

I think my cat brought your cache contaner home this morning :anibad:<_<

how do we make this a sticky topic?

BTW...Bump

call me dumb but what does BUMP mean?

erikwillke, the first time I saw "BUMP", I thought it was some rude, obscure geocaching humor . . . :anibad:

I've since learned that it's a 'technique' to put the thread back at the top of the forum list to keep it in view.

JohnTee

thank you

Large Ammo Can, where is it?

Hiding Spot Photo.

Spoiler: You can actually see it when you look at it, here it is uncovered.

Edited for URL typo.

Congrats on finding a nice rectangular hole already in the land that you could use!

Thank you! It was kindly donated by the nearby school taking dirt samples. It is not a snug fit mind you.

:laughing:

What's the dif between this and a fake drain cap for a below-suface-but-not-buried cache?

Should be archived, IMHO. Looks to me like a pointy-object was used to place it.

Again, What's the dif between this and a fake drain cap for a below-suface-but-not-buried cache? Those are all over the place around here.

I guess my issue is that once the word is out through the local caching grapevine that the cache is below the terrain surface I wouldn't be suprised if cachers don't start showing up with shovels making new holes to find it. Even though the hole is pre-existing it seems, the cache may set a bad example. There are already too many mis-informed land managers that think that geocaching is a buried treasure hunt anyway.

Just my humble opinion, I do like the camo job nonetheless. I am sure with your creativeness that you can come up with something else less provocative.

Should be archived, IMHO. Looks to me like a pointy-object was used to place it.

Again, What's the dif between this and a fake drain cap for a below-suface-but-not-buried cache? Those are all over the place around here.

You know, I asked the cops the same question...

"So what's the difference between the bodies in my freezer - and the ones in Dahmer's?"

Actually, they agreed with me on that one...

If a hole was dug for the fake drain then it too is not "OK". Per the guidelines:

Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

In this example you could have easily covered the entire ammo can with the "grass" and set it among some higher grasses or in a natural "hole".

It looks very cool, but as others have stated it sets a bad precedence.

-al

Here's one I found this weekend. Not mine but I'll post it since I'm not telling you where it is. It is NOT in my usual hunting location.

GCRD79.jpg

Can you spot the cache?

Hint: not the car.

Hint 2: it's not some lame magnet cache. it is a 4/1

:rolleyes: I meant Lame in the nicest way..... :unsure:

Edited by erikwillke

<SNIP>

I don't get caches like this.

Arent we supposed to clean places up? not add to the litter?

I think caches like this have their place.

For instance, in my area, there is a park on the lake. Trash constantly washes up into the park making it a place that always needs CITO, no matter how much trash you bag. This could be a good location for this cache. Its always going to look like it belongs and the cache can entice players to pick up some trash.

This and fake birds nests really get my goat, as they encourage ppl to rummage around real birds nests because it "might be the cache"

That can gives geocaching a bad rap imo

I wondered about bird nests. We can't use real ones as laws often forbid it. Fake ones, however, typically look fake upon close inspection. I came to the conclusion that I don't really have a problem with fake nest caches. In fact, I am currently developing a fake bird cache that some would naturally place into the fake nest. I'm embarressed to admit how long it has taken me to get moving on this project.

I personally think this is awesome and harmless, but to play angel's advocate;

Again, just playing angel's advocate. I think this one's pretty harmless.

I think that while this type of cache may fend off most muggles, it is unlikely to pass close inspection by a uncooperative landowner. I don't think that you'll see it pop up all over.

Looks to me like a pointy-object was used to place it.

Not necessarilly. Judging by the comments I'd say a pointy-object was used to collect soil samples. Then a clever cacher took advantage of an existing hole. It's all a matter of semantics. Very kewl camo!

:)

Ok, let's take that to another level. If I brought out our new cute little Bobcat and excavated your front yard about 24" deep, then dumped it in my back yard, it'd be ok, right?

It's just semantics, after all. I wasn't really tearing up your yard - I was cleverly re-landscaping mine.

Not necessarilly. Judging by the comments I'd say a pointy-object was used to collect soil samples. Then a clever cacher took advantage of an existing hole. It's all a matter of semantics. Very kewl camo!

:)

Ok, let's take that to another level. If I brought out our new cute little Bobcat and excavated your front yard about 24" deep, then dumped it in my back yard, it'd be ok, right?

It's just semantics, after all. I wasn't really tearing up your yard - I was cleverly re-landscaping mine.

How ever much I'd like this idea, it's NOT the same thing. If the placer didn't make the hole, I don't see an issue to keep going on and on about... Do you really?

we used something very simple for a part of a multi-cache. We bought a driveway reflector.. and left the price tag on it, but replaced the bar code label with a label with the coordinates bar coded. You can go to different sites and it will bar code numbers for you. People have e-mailed me and told me it is not there. I reassure them, that yes, it is there and you probably looked right at it. It is out in the open.

OK, but how does someone decode that in the field?

GCRD79.jpg

GCRD792.jpg

GCRD793.jpg

I'm hoping the cache owner didn't "modify" the rail. They are there as a protective barrier for vehicles. Take a couple of bolts out to make a swinging hidden container, and you may weaken the strength of the barrier.

I'm guessing the cache owner didn't have permission to remove any bolts...

Ed

This one is really kewl:

Super Xtra Tough GEOCACHE (eBay)

96_1_b.JPG

I've got one of those and folks have enjoyed it (GCRET0).

All I'm going to say is that a "pointy object" was used sometime for this style of cache.

How's that different from someone putting an amno box in an existing hole?

If we really need to hash this out, let's take it to a new tread and stop the hi-jack.

DAryl

Edited by Jeonlyep

I'm hoping the cache owner didn't "modify" the rail. They are there as a protective barrier for vehicles. Take a couple of bolts out to make a swinging hidden container, and you may weaken the strength of the barrier.

I'm guessing the cache owner didn't have permission to remove any bolts...

Ed

There is only one bolt holding that one foot block in place, it just holds it against the actual backer, the post in the ground. So long as that spacer (that moves) is in place, in an impact situation, it will still serve its purpose.

Those are loose anyway, only one bolt holds it in place, when you only have one 1" bolt, the member not in the ground is freewheel (can turn on bolt). See the nuts on the single bolt on the back of the members that are in the ground?

I think it's clever, maybe dangerous a bit being on a roadside, but that's not really an issue, just not very kid friendly.

Edited by Voigt54601

:huh:

Maybe i'm not the only one who can't connect the two?

I did just use a hole that was left there, in fact there are many of the holes around there, I have to disable the cache occasionally because the school goes out to make collections and don't always 'replace their divots'.

Sheesh, I was looking for a place to hide the ammo can, saw a hole that it would actually fit in, just set the thing in it and put some dead grass on top. I told the reviewer what it was and it was okay'd. Simply put I didn't use a pointy object to dig a hole for the purpose of hiding the cache and the cache is not buried. It hid well so I thought I'd share it. There is nothing wrong with it, if you don't like it thats fine, we're all entitled to our opinion. But don't go and say it should be archived, isn't allowed, breaks the rules, yada yada; because it simply isn't true.