Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

I put this one out today.

And what's that starburst covering? Hmmm...

Near as I can tell, the plastic bag illustrates the different cuts of meat you get from cattle. The star is over a drawing of a side of beef. What we see is the inside of the bag, or the back of the front of the bag, if you will. Thus the lettering is backwards. I can make out "BEEF" easy enough. Other than that, I can make out "Tear Here" on the bag. The bag appears to be a plastic shopping bag of the sort you get at your grocery in the meat department.

That's all I got.

I put this one out today.

And what's that starburst covering? Hmmm...

It not covering anything...just used to direct your eyes to the cache screw top opening.

I had a person actually pick this one up today and discard it, before going back to it and realizing that this WAS the CACHE. He did get a find out of it. :)

Since they are made out of plastic with a metal nano container, I doubt that the squirrels will be any more interested in them than any other micro container.

Anyone ever thought about carrying a hand-held metal-detector in their backpack? hmmm Asuming it has traces of metal in it though.

I have a few containers of which I'm particularly proud. I won't give any details, to avoid spoilers to my local group, but here are some photos. (Hey, for everyone's benefit, if you reply to this, please delete the img links to keep the page reasonably short!)

The first is a REAL car battery. BE VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY careful if you try this - the acid inside the battery is very dangerous, and the lead isn't all that healthy either. But it can be done safely, with plenty of protective gear and patience. Finally, you have to dispose of the contents - which can be done safely wherever batteries are recycled. Don't dump acid down the drain - it will eat pipes.

Once I'd hollowed it out, removed all the original lead and other noxious materials, and washed it many many times, I cut down a container to fit. Then I epoxied about 25 lb of lead shot all around the container. Then I crafted a door from 1/4 inch lexan, and added hinges and a gasket. Not perfectly watertight, but close enough. It's large enough inside to fit five or six CDs. The result is a container that perfectly matches the original heft of an abandoned battery, and from five out of six sides is really the original battery. It's only been found a couple times - the puzzle that accompanies it is VERY hard - but it's proven to be a good misdirection, because they've looked under it but didn't see the door and didn't bother to look at it closer, because it seemed real. The other car parts laying in the woods help hide this in plain sight.

gh1.jpg

gh2.jpg

The second is made from a metal valve stem extension and cap set, purchased from an auto parts store, with the threaded part trimmed to only about 1cm long, and the cap trimmed down too. The center hole just perfectly fit a tiny neodynium magnet, and left enough space to fit a 1/8" x 4" log strip. The cap even included a gasket - so the inside stays completely dry. The final appearance is something like a small bolt head. Despite its nano size, it's been moderately easy to find, because (as you can see) I didn't try to make it directly match other surrounding features of the location.

gh3.jpg

This last one is interesting - there was a pipe sticking up out of the ground near an abandoned trailer home park. I suspect it used to be a mailbox mount. It's literally feet from a sidewalk and a very busy four-lane major road (you can see the road and sidewalk in the background). The pipe is surrounded by unmowed weeds; strangely enough the county has never removed it although they continually maintain the rest of the area. I created a "topper" for the pipe that simulates a bolted end; it's nothing more complicated than a six-inch grinding wheel and a bolt, with a spice container whose lid is held in place by the same bolt. I simulated the rust with brown paint and dirt/sand for texture. It just slides into the end of the pipe, sitting there literally in plain sight of the road and a thousand daily commuters. I check it every day as I drive past on my way home.

gh5.jpg

:mad: I've been reading this thread off and on all weekend. There are some awesome ideas in here, cool devious & unique. Thanks to everone who has shared there caches here. I hope to be able to come up with something worthy of being posted here some day. Edited by IndyLocator

This is one cache that will make you stop and think [:P]

What the heck was that black thing before you messed with it.

jtd, that was a steel animal trap. You know, the kind that would trap an animal by the leg. It's a great idea and I have an old one that may have to get put to this use sometime! :rolleyes:

JohnTee

This is one cache that will make you stop and think [:rolleyes:]

What the heck was that black thing before you messed with it.

jtd, that was a steel animal trap. You know, the kind that would trap an animal by the leg. It's a great idea and I have an old one that may have to get put to this use sometime! :P

JohnTee

Exactly! Can you imagine what a cacher might think when they come upon this out in the woods. "Are you feelin lucky today, well are ya, uh? If you are, grab it, go ahead, grab it! :P I'll bet more then one cacher would walk away from this one without logging it!!!!!!!

Hi Ortisprincess from Oregon here. I have found the pinecones, and some that are in logs with the end cut off and replaced with moss covering the cut. bolts that are magnets stuck to a structure. MINE however I like Interesting more than EVIL containers, LOL I have a huge purple pill, called Prilosec aka Nexium. I used a birth control container, baby bottles, Called "Please be careful" and NOT careful enough. I have a stump that looks as though it is in the ground, but actually has a cache under it. Flashlights, A toy aligator ready to bite the cacher that dare take the log out of it's mouth. I have a small round blistex container dangling from a grate. a butterfly with a micro micro mini attached to the bottom of the body. A shot gun shell on a landing where they target practice. LOL and a candy tin that has on an ammo shirt. a birdhouse, nest to put cache on limb, so that they have to actually look into the bird nest. Many more simple caches. I love the caches people put time and effort into. I have seen some awesome camo job!!

we used something very simple for a part of a multi-cache. We bought a driveway reflector.. and left the price tag on it, but replaced the bar code label with a label with the coordinates bar coded. You can go to different sites and it will bar code numbers for you. People have e-mailed me and told me it is not there. I reassure them, that yes, it is there and you probably looked right at it. It is out in the open.

we used something very simple for a part of a multi-cache. We bought a driveway reflector.. and left the price tag on it, but replaced the bar code label with a label with the coordinates bar coded. You can go to different sites and it will bar code numbers for you. People have e-mailed me and told me it is not there. I reassure them, that yes, it is there and you probably looked right at it. It is out in the open.

What a GREAT idea! I may have to "borrow" that one from you! :(

Oops, I just looked where you are..... edited to add: or maybe I'll just come find that one!

Edited by mizdeeds

(Hey, for everyone's benefit, if you reply to this, please delete the img links to keep the page reasonably short!)

By the way, if an image is repeated on the same page, it's only loaded once. So having people quote your images on the same page doesn't require additional download time, which some people with a slow connection might be concerned with.

It will, however, reload the image if the quote is on a different page. But then again, this might be a good thing if you're commenting on the images. That way someone (on a slow connection) doesn't have to go back and load an entire page of images just to see the one you're referring to.

And I suppose since you said "short" I should add that I agree that it will reduce the length of the page to remove the images, but I don't understand why that would be an issue. People have complained about repeating images in the past so I thought I'd mention the loading thing.

Here's a few that I have.  One of 'em is out in the field but I wan't say which.  Locals, pretend you didn't read this.

X

See if you can guess what I do for a living without checking my profile.

X

This last one is my idea for a multi.  A lag bolt into a post will hold one of these for ages!

Sorry for the red Xs. I just pulled the files down because I put those caches out in the field today. Kind of a fine line between sharing ideas and giving them away. I'll gladly email images to non-San Diegans.

Please... I need all the help I can get!!!

jtd, that was a steel animal trap. You know, the kind that would trap an animal by the leg. It's a great idea and I have an old one that may have to get put to this use sometime! :huh:

JohnTee

Exactly! Can you imagine what a cacher might think when they come upon this out in the woods. "Are you feelin lucky today, well are ya, uh? If you are, grab it, go ahead, grab it! :lol: I'll bet more then one cacher would walk away from this one without logging it!!!!!!!

Err.... all they'd have to do is touch it with a stick.

Those are neat ideas. BUT GEEZ PEOPLE! Are we actually buying our creativity pre-made on ebay now? Make your own dang cache container.

For cryin' out loud!

If I didn't sell my containers on ebay, I might agree with you, but I don't think so.

The fact is, many people do not have the knowledge, tools, or ability to make some (not all) of the containers that are sold on ebay. Also, speaking for some that I make and sell, the price of an individual container is much less than how much it would cost to create it from scratch. The price only gets reasonable when you are able to produce several of the same item. Also, there is the time factor involved in sourcing the necessary items to create the container and putting it all together. Many people prefer to buy one, instead.

Edited by sbell111

Those are neat ideas. BUT GEEZ PEOPLE! Are we actually buying our creativity pre-made on ebay now? Make your own dang cache container.

For cryin' out loud!

If I didn't sell my containers on ebay, I might agree with you, but I don't think so.

The fact is, many people do not have the knowledge, tools, or ability to make some (not all) of the containers that are sold on ebay. Also, speaking for some that I make and sell, the price of an individual container is much less than how much it would cost to create it from scratch. The price only gets reasonable when you are able to produce several of the same item. Also, there is the time factor involved in sourcing the necessary items to create the container and putting it all together. Many people prefer to buy one, instead.

Well, if you're making money at it, more power to ya!

instead of constantly saying BUMP... let's just have one of the moderators make a topic like this (photos ONLY... no comments) and make it a STICKY thread? That way it's always on top and more of a photo almbum of cool caches instead of a discussion.

I kinda enjoy the commentary and stories behind them. I think something would be lost making it photos only. Especially when the owners post things like "can you find the cache in this picture?".

As for stickies, people ignore the stickies half the time, or just don't notice them. I myself have had the occassional case of sticky blindness, usually followed by a "d'oh!" reaction when I realize it. :)

instead of constantly saying BUMP... let's just have one of the moderators make a topic like this (photos ONLY... no comments) and make it a STICKY thread? That way it's always on top and more of a photo almbum of cool caches instead of a discussion.

I kinda enjoy the commentary and stories behind them. I think something would be lost making it photos only. Especially when the owners post things like "can you find the cache in this picture?".

As for stickies, people ignore the stickies half the time, or just don't notice them. I myself have had the occassional case of sticky blindness, usually followed by a "d'oh!" reaction when I realize it. <_<

Also, you miss out on any conversation regarding how to create the caches.