Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

You can try gun shows if they come near you. Also, you can find several military surplus companies via Google (CheaperThanDirt apparently doesn't have any). You could also plan a caching trip to Midland or Chesaning. There's a few stores there.

Midland is in the works!

I thought the Chesaning one closed, but will check. I go there quite often.

Thanks! :D

You can try gun shows if they come near you. Also, you can find several military surplus companies via Google (CheaperThanDirt apparently doesn't have any). You could also plan a caching trip to Midland or Chesaning. There's a few stores there.

Midland is in the works!

I thought the Chesaning one closed, but will check. I go there quite often.

Thanks! :D

Yes, the one in Chesaning is closed.

85e57a31-92cb-454c-9eca-75c4dcfc8dbc.jpg

I bought these fake rocks on eBay... mua ha ha ha haaaaaa

There are lots of "key hider" things on eBay that would be great. Saw one that looked just like bottled water, you could even put water in it... how would that be for CITO? :D Or to put in a cache so someone might pass it up...

Sorry if I'm not posting images correctly -- I'm new!

Oh my giddy aunt. I just spent the last several hours going through all 20(!!!) pages of this topic. but boy have ya'll given me some good ideas, eh!

I still don't have a gps yet (that's the next plan - researching what I want is the plan currently) but I have modeller's flocking and other... things I can use for some caches here. The scary thing is that I can think of at least 10 places in my complex I could hide things, three just around my townhouse without having to go more than 5' from my door!

You people are truly evil!

Okay.. the one thing I worry about using a "cool cache" idea is - what if Homeland (in)Security decides its a bomb? This has happened to other cachers. Anyone else have those concerns?

One of the best things about the bulk of the caches in this thread is that they match their surroundings. They are much less likely to be confused for anything than your typical ammo can/tupperware.

To answer your question, if my cache was confused for a bomb, I'd likely have to replace it.

Edited by sbell111

some of them are just evil. I like them. :)

I'm preparing two caches so far. A small one and a kid's one. I'm also thinking about a second small one. the two smallers I'm thinking I should make them _really_ hard to spot.

And there's so many good ideas....

Is there any way to get rid of all the pictures that are reposts? The quotations that duplicated pictures are making this thread three times more cumbersome than it has to be. At least in the future, not reposting pictures might help. I love this thread!!

I agree, linking to pictures instead of showing them might be a better idea, and also it acts as a spoiler warning for those who might not want to see certain concepts.

Is there any way to get rid of all the pictures that are reposts? The quotations that duplicated pictures are making this thread three times more cumbersome than it has to be. At least in the future, not reposting pictures might help. I love this thread!!

I agree, linking to pictures instead of showing them might be a better idea, and also it acts as a spoiler warning for those who might not want to see certain concepts.

I don't think AV Design had a problem with pics in the thread. Its just that when three or four people reply to the same post and leave the pics in the quote, the thread gets a little cumbersome.

Does anyone else think this thread thread should be pinned? It has been running since the first post that was made on Jan 13 2004. The last post I read was dated Feb 9 2006! I, for one think it deserves the honor of being pinned. Just my 2 cents. What do all of you think? Oh, forgot to mention that it has been viewed 153,712 times!!!

Edited by atascadero

this thread rocks, I used an idea out of here to stump a few locals. They had gotten me constanly with little nanos and the like so it was pretty satisfying to show them something they'd never seen before, never would have even thought of it if not for this thread.

ditto this should be pinned.

Yep..just need to teach people how to edit their replies before posting...(IOW, delete the image tags)

Below is a cache I placed as a memorial for our daughter. I cut a slab off the top of the stump to make the lid then I hollowed the log out with my chain saw. I then placed two dow pins in the lid and drilled out matching holes in the stumps base so the lid would stay put. It's big enough to fit a .50 cal ammo can in it. The stump weighs about sixty pounds. I carried it about a mile untill I found the most peaceful spot I could find.

142031_1100.JPG

I found it, amazing cache!!!

142031_1100_B.jpg

retouched photo stolen from a Quebec geocaching forum ;)

Below is a cache I placed as a memorial for our daughter. I cut a slab off the top of the stump to make the lid then I hollowed the log out with my chain saw. I then placed two dow pins in the lid and drilled out matching holes in the stumps base so the lid would stay put. It's big enough to fit a .50 cal ammo can in it. The stump weighs about sixty pounds. I carried it about a mile untill I found the most peaceful spot I could find.

I found it, amazing cache!!!

retouched photo stolen from a Quebec geocaching forum :D

;):D:D

Trail hound, is that one of yours? I totally love that.

Yes it is....I have one just like it that has been out for awhile and this is a second one that I've been meaning

to place....Just looking for the right place :) You and Joe need to get out this way more often. I have some more interesting caches but I don't want to post the pics.

This is a combination box used by realtors to leave door keys at listed homes.

A key is required to open the shackle and change the combination. Quite strong and 'muggle' resistant.

It is about 4" X 2.5" and can hold a log book, small pencil and very small trade items if you wish.

I have considered using it as an urban cache - attaching it to a chain on a bike rack.

combobox.jpg

Here I have used some camo tape to break up the hard lines. I locked it on a tree branch to prevent theft.

camocombo.jpg

Edited by Maxima

What do you all think about creating a new topic on "Cool Cache Containers 2 " ??

Just a thought and if people respond we ask that they not re-post a picture from a previous thread.

Let me know.

I have some pics and think a new ccc2 would be great and pin this one.

Just my 2 pennies !!!

Why not repost pictures? It helps to follow what the new poster is talking about if they're referring to a picture in the quote.

I am just new to Geocaching. Haven't searched for one yet, but got a membership to Geochaching and reading about descriptions of local caches being in ammo cans, or Tupperware containers. When I read all the way through this thread, I have come to the following conclusions:

1. Now I know how difficult yet challenging this hobby can be!! I would hope these are all difficulty 5's!

2. I can see how folks can really enjoy making caches that are challenging!

3. I now know that searcing for these things literally requires not stone being unturned!

4. You all are a bunch of sadistic (but creative) folks for a new Geocacher!

5. I think I will really enjoy getting into this more.

6. Already got some thoughts for my first Cache

Thanks for the site everyone!

I am just new to Geocaching. Haven't searched for one yet, but got a membership to Geochaching and reading about descriptions of local caches being in ammo cans, or Tupperware containers. When I read all the way through this thread, I have come to the following conclusions:

1. Now I know how difficult yet challenging this hobby can be!! I would hope these are all difficulty 5's!

2. I can see how folks can really enjoy making caches that are challenging!

3. I now know that searcing for these things literally requires not stone being unturned!

4. You all are a bunch of sadistic (but creative) folks for a new Geocacher!

5. I think I will really enjoy getting into this more.

Welcome to the game/sport/hobby/addiction (whatever it may become for you)!

Most of the caches pictured in this thread wou;dn't likely be a 5 star hide, unless there was something special needed to retreive the cache. Depending on the area, an evil cammo-ed cache like the ones in this thread could be anywhere from a 2 star to a 4 star, but I'd bet most get listed as a 3 star. I found one a couple of weeks ago that was a 1 inch by 1/4 inch tube glued into a hole that was drilled into a dead branch, in a stand of trees, definatly not an easy onje to find, and it was a 2 star.

Glad to hear that you have some thoughts on a cache to hide, but you may want to hold of a bit until you find a few and get a good handle on the game, and definately read the guidelines and FAQs, there is a lot of good info in there on hiding a good cache.

Have Fun!

The pictures posted here show a new way (for me) to hide a micro. Using a cheap 3/4 inch cement drill I bought for about $5.00 I bored a hole into a piece of local limestone. I did it on my drill press. To keep the bit from overheating occasionally I dribbled water into the hole. The cache container is a pill bottle that I’ve seen for sale at various pharmacies. This one is made of plastic. The hole was a few thousandths of an inch too small but I managed to enlarge it ever so slightly, and just enough, with an old twist type wood boring bit I had lying around. You should have heard the screech that made! That process was deafenately a “do not do this (when your wife is) at home” thing! :ph34r:

Epoxy makes sure the cache stays in the hole. The rock at the cache location is positioned with the hole down. Depending upon where a person hides it, it could be pretty hard to find. I am imagining it amongst the local rip rap like that in the top picture! Actually NOT. :huh: The paper used for the log is Tyvek. I cut it out of a large envelope made of it. Tyvek does not tear.

ae50fa07-c63d-49ab-8237-38d0e9927f03.jpg

dc2ba8bc-1454-4596-88b6-c99cfdb89aba.jpg

f2da1737-4b68-4c94-b98a-428cddd05646.jpg

-it

The pictures posted here show a new way (for me) to hide a micro. Using a cheap 3/4 inch cement drill I bought for about $5.00 I bored a hole into a piece of local limestone. I did it on my drill press. To keep the bit from overheating occasionally I dribbled water into the hole. The cache container is a pill bottle that I’ve seen for sale at various pharmacies. This one is made of plastic. The hole was a few thousandths of an inch too small but I managed to enlarge it ever so slightly, and just enough, with an old twist type wood boring bit I had lying around. You should have heard the screech that made! That process was deafenately a “do not do this (when your wife is) at home” thing! :ph34r:

Epoxy makes sure the cache stays in the hole. The rock at the cache location is positioned with the hole down. Depending upon where a person hides it, it could be pretty hard to find. I am imagining it amongst the local rip rap like that in the top picture! Actually NOT. :huh: The paper used for the log is Tyvek. I cut it out of a large envelope made of it. Tyvek does not tear.

Very cool and I don't want to be legalistic but doesn't this violate the hiding a cache with the use of a pointy thingy section? "Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate."

Guess it would be OK if you brought the rock to the site though. Anyway seems OK to me but some might have issues.

Very cool and I don't want to be legalistic but doesn't this violate the hiding a cache with the use of a pointy thingy section? "Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate."

Guess it would be OK if you brought the rock to the site though. Anyway seems OK to me but some might have issues.

This ain't no different from a dug out wood log and plenty of other contraptions in this section, most of which where made usign some "pointy tool" at some point.

-it

Evil, evil, evil!!!

one cache that is Part of the "Serial Finder" cache series following the story in Todays cacher.

Not sure what I'd do if I happened to run across that in the woods!!!!

(Note to self: put extra TP in day-pack)

Miz :laughing:

Too much CSI.

Way way way way way too much CSI!

(...)

Welcome to geocaching!

Before hiding your first cache, please be sure to read the Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

The pictures posted here show a new way (for me) to hide a micro. Using a cheap 3/4 inch cement drill I bought for about $5.00 I bored a hole into a piece of local limestone. I did it on my drill press. To keep the bit from overheating occasionally I dribbled water into the hole. The cache container is a pill bottle that I’ve seen for sale at various pharmacies. This one is made of plastic. The hole was a few thousandths of an inch too small but I managed to enlarge it ever so slightly, and just enough, with an old twist type wood boring bit I had lying around. You should have heard the screech that made! That process was deafenately a “do not do this (when your wife is) at home” thing! :laughing:

Epoxy makes sure the cache stays in the hole. The rock at the cache location is positioned with the hole down. Depending upon where a person hides it, it could be pretty hard to find. I am imagining it amongst the local rip rap like that in the top picture! Actually NOT. :laughing: The paper used for the log is Tyvek. I cut it out of a large envelope made of it. Tyvek does not tear.

I purchased the rock along with about 2000 pounds more of it last summer. I used that kind of rock, actually dolomite, to make a garden wall.

Now if hiding a cache under a rock qualifies as being buried then I want to know what the definition of buried is. If we cannot "hide" a cache unless it's exposed then, I must say that the challenge of finding most caches will, as a friend of mine once said, fall under the category of "no brainers." I myself really don’t like seeing exposed containers.

Thanks for the compliment by the way. :laughing:

-it

Thought I'd add a rather large cache container, which is the most unusual cache I had found

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/gallery.asp...d8-7e6ed78a021c

The cache is a tree stump, that has been roofed, and underneath, Pooh's house has miniature furniture you can view through the windows. check out the photos of this most unusual cache.

I have a book cache, with hollowed center, and the cover has pictures with dedications to the sport of geocaching and local geocachers I have known. It has been enthusiastically received. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d9-9b8f5bdc8411