Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

All great ideas but I want to see a cache container that is just bizzare!

Well, would this cache qualify as "bizarre?"

95426a50-807c-4781-8005-4b19028bea9e.jpg

The H20 proof container goes up in the head, is connected to the wire that feeds through the top of the head. Here's the picture of the log container (not nearly as neat as the container itself, but folks may want to see how it is connected...

111eb012-2f71-436c-85f4-5889820f9540.jpg

When this cache is up in a Live Oak tree, it blends in very nicely, and looks like just a bunch more leaves rustling in the breeze amongst the branches. It has been quite well received. This cache was up and running when the "bizarre" comment was made, but it was then too new and I did not want to give away the "surprise" of the cache. However, word is out in the local area on this one, so I have no qualms about posting the pictures now. Here is the link to to the cache listing, and you will see the cache fits the name and theme of the cache quite nicely!

I have another rather "bizarre" cache, but it is part of a puzzle cache, and I do not want to give that one away anytime soon.

I believe this thread began with my post here.

I sorted through a number of pictures I have taken of my homemade caches and will post at least some of them later. Many are just snap shots but they will have to do.

I will admit that I feel resistance to revealing my designs however. It's like handing over my secrets. Oh well, for the sake of the community, I tell myself, right? I hope they are appreciated. I may even annotate how I make many of my containers puzzles to get open once found. One uses a mousetrap, another uses a piece of junk with a spring in it I found on the street while geocaching in San Antonio. Another requires that the person use a credit card. No I have not yet figured out how to bill the person. :blink: Another requires 6 steps, AFTER finding the key in another location, another is "launched" (slowly) like a missile out an old rusty tube when a cable (taken out of an old typewriter) is pulled on, and another is suspended inside a hollow tree. That one is real popular. I made a two story fake birdhouse out of PVC. It's a TB cache that is so difficult to figure out how to open (w/o hints) that few would have the patience (at least) to deal with it. :anibad: There are many more but that's all I can find pictures of as of the last half hour.

I definitely don't want to post the pictures on any of my geocache pages so I need to know of a free image storage facility where I can upload them. Then I will use the appropriate URLs to retrieve em from there.

Since I don't have a webpage, can someone refer me to a user friendly service that is not going to go belly up in the next few months?

Thanks!

-it

I believe this thread began with my post here.

I sorted through a number of pictures I have taken of my homemade caches and will post at least some of them later. Many are just snap shots but they will have to do.

I will admit that I feel resistance to revealing my designs however. It's like handing over my secrets. Oh well, for the sake of the community, I tell myself, right? I hope they are appreciated. I may even annotate how I make many of my containers puzzles to get open once found. One uses a mousetrap, another uses a piece of junk with a spring in it I found on the street while geocaching in San Antonio. Another requires that the person use a credit card. No I have not yet figured out how to bill the person. :anibad: Another requires 6 steps, AFTER finding the key in another location, another is "launched" (slowly) like a missile out an old rusty tube when a cable (taken out of an old typewriter) is pulled on, and another is suspended inside a hollow tree. That one is real popular. I made a two story fake birdhouse out of PVC. It's a TB cache that is so difficult to figure out how to open (w/o hints) that few would have the patience (at least) to deal with it. :blink: There are many more but that's all I can find pictures of as of the last half hour.

I definitely don't want to post the pictures on any of my geocache pages so I need to know of a free image storage facility where I can upload them. Then I will use the appropriate URLs to retrieve em from there.

Since I don't have a webpage, can someone refer me to a user friendly service that is not going to go belly up in the next few months?

Thanks!

-it

I generally upload my pictures to my avatar storage area.

I've been using photobucket.com for close to a year now with no interuptions at all (that I know of)

I have pics posted there for 4 different forums and one of the cool things about them is that after you've uploaded a pic they have the html to "copy & paste" right below the thumbnail of the pic!

Man, I love coming back to this thread "every few weeks" and see what everyone has come up with!

It really gets my creative juices flowing!

D-man :lol:

<snip>

I have a parking meter. Still working on how to incorporate that as well. Maybe a key in one location, and meter at next.

Man, a parking meter would be awesome! Talk about urban camo.

I wonder if there's any in town that aren't bolted down tight...

meter.jpg

Pipe cutter. But I never told you that.

You might want to rethink the pipe cutter thing. :lol:

Ever seen "Cool Hand Luke"?

You can use the Geocaching site itself. Just upload the images to a cache page, copy the long URLs of the images, then delete the images. They remain stored on the server, but do not show up in the host page's gallery. The only way to view images stored this way is to use the complete URL.

I don't know whether TPTB consider this to be good form, and abusing it could lead to changes (which would adversely affect a lot of cache pages), but it's kind of a cool workaround for storing caching-related pix to which you want to control access.

I guess this is as good a place to ask as any...I was thinking of putting up a cache that would involve a flowerpot placed next to a civil war memorial. (It's in the older, hardly travelled part of a cemetery.)

Would that be too tacky? I'm working on making the cache educational so that you have to actually pay attention to where you are.

Edited by Team SeanNAng

I think that as a rule, cemeteries require that flowers be only temporary. I would be real nervous about the black eye that may result from putting a pot there.

You can do it educationally in another way. I myself have made various "pictocaches" using pictures of stones. The participants have to find the stones in the picture, so they have to go there, and only a certain one or more stones have vital info on them that the "student" :D will need to find to correct an inaccurate coordinate they were given to begin with.

I have two caches here and here that use pictures and another one that has no pictures to post online yet. The pictures for that one are on a strip of disposable paper located in the first cache.

-it

Edited by Iowa Tom
I got tired of searching for thos dang urban microminis, so I made this anti micro cache. It has several pourposes, first gives the kids an easy find, second its big enough to trade some of the stuff laying around your house, third its silly,and fourth its a muggle proof TB hotel in the middle of the city

heres the link check out all the pics, 4 so far,

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...36-c5be1e14becc

:D That made me laugh. The log book reminds me of a cache I got from a local event where you make a film canister not look like a film canister. It's a 35-gallon or so bucket painted to look like a film canister, and the log book is a giant roll of brown paper (the kind you dry your hands off with). The coolest part is the person who created the cache somehow managed to print the information about what the container is on the paper.

I have decided to show some pictures of two of my cache containers, both part of one multicache. First is a picture of the first part of a multi-cache. It's a container that held diabetic test trips. The geo-flage on the micro is made from a green 3M Scotch Brite scouring pad that I split down the middle and painted. [i'll be adding more green color soon.] I glued the smoother side of the pad to the outside of the micro. The glue used was GOOP.

15ca1e39-1646-4e6a-a879-0f6a5a9a4931.jpg

The second image shows the second part in the cache sequence. It’s a fake bird house. To find it the cacher needs to solve an anagram written on paper in the first container. Solving that enables the person to determine the coordinate for the bird house. To make the camouflage look like shadows of the leaves of the tree the cache is in I spayed paint over the actual leaves laid over a previous layer of paint on the pipe. I also used coarse sandpaper to dull the finish on the tubes.

6fe04f30-ea19-447e-a79d-8a8641bd952f.jpg

The third image is a schematic drawing that should be self explanatory. It shows how I latch the lid to prevent people from gaining access unless they figure out how to do it. If I didn't provide instructions (at the first cache), few people would figure out how to gain access, or so I discovered. B)

584c8e70-e653-4761-ac90-148db6093f89.jpg

The fourth image shows a view of the inside of the cache. Notice the tape measure spring steel and the aluminum latch.

7bb63e6c-3767-49a2-9932-51184ca6890e.jpg

I have made several more unique puzzle designs too. B):lol:

Edited by Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Very nice, Ctrl-Alt-Delete. I'd really enjoy a cache made as well as that birdhouse. The pin and spring steel are a great idea. I bet it's quite waterproof, and it is hard to screw up rehiding it. Plus it's really hard to steal being bolted to the tree. Very Muggleproof too, only a geocacher would take a close look at a birdhouse.

only a geocacher would take a close look at a birdhouse.

That is what I'm banking on. I have made quite a few birdhouse caches out of various containers and materials. Each one has a different way of getting it open. I figure that it's easy to find it, so, for the geocacher I make it a challenge to get into and hopefully everyone else will simply not pay attention to it; or if they do notice that it's a fake they will get frustrated trying to get into it and give up. I suspect that most curious would-be thieves are lazy enough to just move on.

One birdhouse I made was constructed out of old wood from a beat up wooden fence. When we were tearing down the fence I had to retrieve the wood out of the dumpster cuz my wife thought it was trash. :anitongue: [Just kidding on the frowny face.]

Resourcefulness: finding a use for which others think there is no use. :laughing: That I do all the time! It's my excuse for keeping lots of STUFF. ;):anibad::grin:

Edited by Ctrl-Alt-Delete

1a911fc7-b27d-4287-b08a-0f46bb281753.jpg

Pictured here is one a way that I harness my camouflaged waterproof match containers to trees. First I drill a hole in a piece of PVC pipe that is slightly smaller in diameter than the Micro. Then I insert 1/4 inch of coat hanger wire into the drilled hole. I wrap the wire around the pipe a few times. Finally I torch the wire to encourage rust. Sometimes I paint it as well.

:anitongue:

Here's another one of my caches. The 1st picture here shows a cache container that is probably not too common. I had it sitting around my classroom for several years then I got the idea that I could use it as a cache container. The back end of the skull accidentally popped off which gave access to the brain cavity. How convenient! :lol:

9fc7425e-4317-4321-a25a-cb70ea1b28d6.jpg

The 2nd picture is a close-up that shows where the container is glued and how I sealed it off from the elements. The log is inside the waterproof match container inside the brain cavity. The piece of bone that came loose is attracted to the other part of the skull using a set of small but very strong neodymium magnets.

86209a66-4fd7-4705-ad2d-a1ad8bb1a0d0.jpg

I hung the whole works from a cedar tree in a friend's private prairie. There, very few people trod, so it's likely to stay put. The reason it's hanging is to hopefully keep the mice off of it. They love chewing on bone. Besides that it's coated with must be a nasty tasting water seal. :ph34r:

Very nice, Ctrl-Alt-Delete. I'd really enjoy a cache made as well as that birdhouse. The pin and spring steel are a great idea. I bet it's quite waterproof, and it is hard to screw up rehiding it. Plus it's really hard to steal being bolted to the tree. Very Muggleproof too, only a geocacher would take a close look at a birdhouse.

I love the bird house design (cool mechanism.)

I don't think the Forest Service would be happy to find out that cachers are anchoring their caches to live trees. The mounting technique could give caching a black eye with land managers.

Oh My, that is just the sickest cache I've ever seen!  Pretty evil! What are the logs like?

ewwww

The only complaints I get about that cache is about the wicked, albeit short, hike people have to go through to get to it. :ph34r: I warn em! It's only about 100 yards from the road but the "prairie" is almost impassable. It's in low ground with tons of clumps of grass that make walking very difficult. At least there it doesn't get muggled.

By the way, I teach anatomy, amoung other things. ;) And nobody has been freaked out by the "container," so far. :D

I don't think the Forest Service would be happy to find out that cachers are anchoring their caches to live trees. The mounting technique could give caching a black eye with land managers.

I agree, like all cache containers, this one would not be acceptable in some areas.

I have a hanging bird feeder cache locally and struggled with an acceptable mounting. I settled on large automotive hose clamps that go around each branch. It was more work than a lag bolt but it didn't penetrate the bark.

Thanks. The cache is a 20 gallon trash can. Two thumb screws keep the top closed. It's pretty new, but I think that it'll be very water proof. But as with any cache, it all depends on how good every one closes it up.

DAryl

It isn't often that I'm blown away by a creative container, but your cache really steals the show. I'm very impressed. :ph34r: The only other cache container that blew me away was a fake pedestrian crossing box attached to a pole with super magnets.

One thing you should know about Galvanized Trash cans, the handle on the lid is a leaking point. I use these containers for my Horse, Goat, and Chicken feed. I experienced leaking with all three, until I used silicone to seal the area around the handle.

It isn't often that I'm blown away by a creative container, but your cache really steals the show. I'm very impressed.  :rolleyes: 

Thanks for the great complement! :lol:

One thing you should know about Galvanized Trash cans, the handle on the lid is a leaking point. ---- I used silicone to seal the area around the handle.

I'll have to stop by the cache and seal up those rivets....

It took a bit of doing to get something that wasn't designed to open easily, to something that was hinged and could be opened without tools.

DAryl

Cimarron, KS

Edited by Jeonlyep
....one on my work bench.

battery2.JPG

Was a display battery at NAPA. Now it needs a good place to place it.

I don't like to make a suggestion that may seem negative but I think that encouraging a young geocacher to try to figure out how to open a container that in normal use contains sulfuric acid may present a problem.

For safety reasons, this comes to mind when I see the car battery: I have read that hiding caches in fake electrical boxes is something we are asked not to do. A real battery is only 12V but a real battery does contain acid and getting kids interested in the insides of one may be problematic.

The other cache you have is utterly invisible! Nice job! :unsure:

If I may be so bold to ask, am I hot, cool or warm? See:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c126/Ctr...e123/penny5.jpg

-it

I don't like to make a suggestion that may seem negative but I think that encouraging a young geocacher to try to figure out how to open a container that in normal use contains sulfuric acid may present a problem.

For safety reasons, this comes to mind when I see the car battery: I have read that hiding caches in fake electrical boxes is something we are asked not to do. A real battery is only 12V but a real battery does contain acid and getting kids interested in the insides of one may be problematic.

I had really thought about the fact that somebody would think that because I took apart a dummy battery, that they should take apart a real battery. :unsure:

I can tell you it's not an easy thing to do... I'll have to think about that....

The other cache you have is utterly invisible! Nice job!  :D

If I may be so bold to ask, am I hot, cool or warm?  See:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c126/Ctr...e123/penny5.jpg

-it

Thanks. But you're kinda cool. Double the length of the radius of your circle, and the line would almost be on the cache. (hint: look at the name of my photo)

DAryl

I posted part of this description elsewhere under the discussion about the glue called GOOP but decided to post part of the message with the same drawing here.

One of the caches I’ve made that requires a key to get it open has the key hidden inside a piece of tree branch nearby. The key is inside a waterproof match container. The match container is in turn inside a dead foot-long 3” diameter cedar branch that is attached to the base of another tree near a fence post. The branch looks like it was growing there. Below is a drawing I made of the setup.

55255eb9-8e30-4eaa-a429-8a6a204c6cc3.jpg

The branch was carefully cut in half with a hacksaw and drilled out just enough to hold the match container. The bottom of the match container is glued into the upper side of the branch but the lid is in a loose fitting hole in the bottom half of the branch. The two pieces of branch are held together by two pairs of powerful Nd magnets. To be assured that the two halves of the branch stayed in perfect positions I glued in two different sized brass connectors, male and female, into holes I drilled into the cut area. The connectors polarize the orientation of the wood so that it only goes together one way. I drilled the holes for the tubes slightly oversized. The tubes were glued in then the glue was allowed to set with the tubes together while the two halves of the branch were held in a carefully arranged position. This technique allowed for the two parts to have a perfect alignment once the glue dried.

To make sure that the magnetic connection was maximally strong I first glued one set of the magnets on the bottom side of the branch and allowed it to harden. Of course the branch was held vertically during this procedure. Once that glue was dry the next step was to lay some plastic wrap (for sandwiches etc.) on top of the magnets already glued in place. [The glue does not stick to that type of plastic.] To that I placed the mated magnets onto the wrap then I took that part of the branch out of the vice and inserted the top half in. Into the depressions where the screws were on the top part of the branch I added some GOOP. Then I carefully aligned the bottom part of the branch with the top part that was now inverted in the vice. The glue only made contact with the magnets on the inverted top side of the branch where the screws were in that part. After two days of drying I separated the two halves and let the glue fully dry.

So far everything is holding together.

Merry Christmas

-it

Not so sure this is a "Cool Cache Container" but this is my first go at this. I got thinking about the cans Burger King was giving away with a Star Wars watch inside. It was about the same size as a RedBull drink can. Hmmmm....

Before

039cdc0f-e4d0-48b2-af1c-67fcec6f7131.jpg

After

40602234-6ec8-44cf-a23a-d57c0c475883.jpg

(Sorry for the lousy photos - I using an old camera)

The can is labled

Red Bill

ENERGY CACHE