Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

How about this one?

bushyfishy.jpg

It's an antenna topper wih a bison tube stuck inside. It was ziptied to some thick shrubbery at a mall where a new Bass Pro Shops recently opened. The coloring of this thing made it disappear in the bushes. I ended up archiving the cache since it was pretty high maintenance and the mall had security patrolling the area. Some cachers had trouble with the mall cops.

This is the cache page.

I was thinking about hiding one inside a mall. I noticed a local mall had windows up high, so I brought in my GPS and got some signals! I was going to get permission, and try to think of the most devious hide - as it would have to be without getting muggled. :P

whoa,, I am never going to get any work done around the house now!! this thread is amazing!! so many neat ideas, but man,, some of them would have me pulling out my hair!!

you sneaky people,, <_<

what do you think I have been doing all day instead of working? lol :cry: good thing I have a desk job right now...but I didn't do any of the 10 inspections I had today :(

There is one here in San Diego called Beer Root (note: Root Beer) GCKMXN that looks like an unopened root beer can. I'm not sure if the can is real or not, because the container looks a little strange with the top being unopened, but completely flat on top and bottom (where normally it is a little round). It is a really cool container, but I didn't have my camera with me.

Just come here for a day and get it. We have enough caches for you to break the 260ish caches-in-a-day record.

There is one here in San Diego called Beer Root (note: Root Beer) GCKMXN that looks like an unopened root beer can. I'm not sure if the can is real or not, because the container looks a little strange with the top being unopened, but completely flat on top and bottom (where normally it is a little round). It is a really cool container, but I didn't have my camera with me.

Just come here for a day and get it. We have enough caches for you to break the 260ish caches-in-a-day record.

Sounds like those "safes" they sell in some of those oddball household goods catalogs. I have an Old Milwaukee beer can here like that. The top of the can screws off to reveal a storage space. I'd like to use it as a cache but I be afraid someone would CITO it...

Sounds like those "safes" they sell in some of those oddball household goods catalogs. I have an Old Milwaukee beer can here like that. The top of the can screws off to reveal a storage space. I'd like to use it as a cache but I be afraid someone would CITO it...

you could make that part of the hint! "I wouldn't CITO here. You might throw away the cache!" thats what I thought of yesterday.

In my area of the country we have had a rash of Ghost caches. These consist of

Bolts hidden in logs in parking lots, ;) stumps in the woods that you lift up to revel the cache, :) and things that appear to be trash on the ground that turns out to be the cache container. :anibad:

We have a local cache that is placed behind a reflector on a barricade at the end of a sharp curve. :lol:

I recently found the bolt in a stop sign on the corner had a micro cache in it. :lol:

A local Terracache looks just like a drain pipe on the side of a bridge over a small creek in a local park the drain pipe is magnetic and looks like it’s been there forever. :)

One cache I found was a knot on the side of a pine tree. The knot had been cut off and a hole the size of an altoid can drilled into the tree. The can was glued to the back of the cut off knot and then replaced back into the tree. ;)

We hardly ever have just a piece of Tupperware in the woods or a film can under the base of a light pole. Our local people don’t play fair that’s why we have so much fun. :DB)B)

Where's the cache??? I have studied this picture for a while and have no clue. Can someone help?

Read the entire thread and the answer is about a million pages back :laughing: It's that magnetic stuff that you normally have company names on that you stick on cars. Just sign the piece of paper stuck to the back of it.

I made a similar one with the magnetic sheet from Home Depot that is used to block off unused heat vents. The material is thicker than any others I found. On the back I applied a flat white spray paint and drew lines with a pen every 1/4 inch for logging. The paint works great outside. When the log is full I'll just paint over it again and it's ready to go. You can also use any scraps (1" by 4" with the coord's for stages in a multi) and attach them to sign posts etc. <_<

One cache I found was a knot on the side of a pine tree. The knot had been cut off and a hole the size of an altoid can drilled into the tree. The can was glued to the back of the cut off knot and then replaced back into the tree. :D

This one, though creative, doesn't really seem too cool to me. They cut and drilled a tree? This got approved? :D

I'm voting for the grey electric junction there. But somehow that smells like a trick question...  :(

No, its the big concrete pilaster that its next to. You have to tip it over to open the cache. The hard part it setting it back up again! :lol:

Oops. And to think I spent all afternoon trying to unscrew that dang light pole! :ph34r:

I guess you have to bring your on screwdriver and pen for this one. Do you have BYOSD in the log along with BYOP? :ph34r:

Generally speaking, these types are "hinged" at the top screw. The bottom is just the head of the srew glued on, allowing the face of the box to "hinge" at the top and get access to the match container (usually) therein. Thus, no screwdriver needed. :lol:

I guess you have to bring your on screwdriver and pen for this one. Do you have BYOSD in the log along with BYOP?  <_<

Generally speaking, these types are "hinged" at the top screw. The bottom is just the head of the srew glued on, allowing the face of the box to "hinge" at the top and get access to the match container (usually) therein. Thus, no screwdriver needed. :ph34r:

Very good! Yes, it's hinged at the top screw and the bottom screw is left sticking out some and glued in place. Also, I spring-loaded the hinge so it will return to the closed position. And, there was room inside for a short pencil. The horizontal section of the conduit is just flush with the concrete pilaster, but you have to look really closely to notice it. :anitongue:

Edited by HoustonControl

As a professional Firefighter/EMT, I can only say that given the number of accidental electrocutions and electrical fires I respond to in any given week, I am personally dead-set against ANY cache that is intentionally engineered to resemble electrical utilities of any kind.

We've all seen the evidence of outlandish cacher searches: eventually you're going to see a cacher fatality after they tried disassembling a high voltage junction box or transformer in the quest for a bitmap grin.

My opinion counts for naught, but I would offer that Groundspeak and Geocaching.com ought to ban this type of hide before it becomes a fatal DNF and a indefensible prosecution.

• Love 1
One cache I found was a knot on the side of a pine tree. The knot had been cut off and a hole the size of an altoid can drilled into the tree. The can was glued to the back of the cut off knot and then replaced back into the tree. :huh:

This one, though creative, doesn't really seem too cool to me. They cut and drilled a tree? This got approved? :unsure:

It wouldn't have been if the hider explained this fact to the approver.

"As a non-swimmer and general all around scaredeycat, I can only say that given the number of accidental drownings and shark attacks I read about in any given week, I am personally dead-set against ANY cache that is intentionally placed in the water and requires diving equipment to complete.

We've all seen the evidence of outlandish cacher searches: eventually you're going to see a cacher fatality after they tried to reach an underwater cache in the quest for a bitmap grin."

I guess what I'm trying to say is "lighten up". The cache container in question is obviously a fake upon close examination. It's just designed such that the casual passerby wouldn't give it a second look. What is the alternative -- have a requirement that you post a picture of your cache container to make sure it passes muster before the reviewer approves the cache? Outlaw all class 5 terrain caches? Require bunker gear, safety helmets, and an IQ test before going caching? These people are (mostly) all adults and are pursuing this pasttime of their on volition. Don't take their fun away with more draconian restrictions.

"As a non-swimmer and general all around scaredeycat, I can only say that given the number of accidental drownings and shark attacks I read about in any given week, I am personally dead-set against ANY cache that is intentionally placed in the water and requires diving equipment to complete.

We've all seen the evidence of outlandish cacher searches: eventually you're going to see a cacher fatality after they tried to reach an underwater cache in the quest for a bitmap grin."

I guess what I'm trying to say is "lighten up". The cache container in question is obviously a fake upon close examination. It's just designed such that the casual passerby wouldn't give it a second look. What is the alternative -- have a requirement that you post a picture of your cache container to make sure it passes muster before the reviewer approves the cache? Outlaw all class 5 terrain caches? Require bunker gear, safety helmets, and an IQ test before going caching? These people are (mostly) all adults and are pursuing this pasttime of their on volition. Don't take their fun away with more draconian restrictions.

That's pretty humourous, if one is prone to finding humor in other people's misfortune.

As a geocacher who has several geocaches related to in-water loss of life, I've also acknowledged their loss of life through geocaches without putting others at risk.

As a county technical rescue and public safety diver that has pulled six bodies out of the water in the last sixty days, I can probably also share some phone numbers of family members who might enjoy your snide mirth at their expense.

Geez, I'm really starting to be sorry for making my initial post...

I guess I didn't realize I was making fun of anyone's misfortune. But I will refrain from trying to use any humor in my response to your attacks.

I have heard of caches that are placed in precarious places, including underwater caches for dive enthusiasts. I don't know what your stance is on these type caches, I'm just saying that I'm sure terrain and other issues with cache placement are a bigger risk to the cache finder than whether the cache looks like an electrical box. I know a cacher personally that broke their leg trying to retrieve a cache on a steep slope. Do we outlaw caches on sloping terrain? The point is that caching, hiking, camping -- life, is a sometime hazardous activity and we rely on people's common sense to keep them from harm. If I make a cache that looks like a porcupine, I don't think I'm putting other people at risk for trying to pick up a porcupine in the wild. If Groundspeak wants to make a rule that all caches should be painted bright orange and labeled GEOCACHE in 4 inch letters, then I guess we will all comply. But imagination will have gone out of the game and the the caching community will suffer for it.

I have done a number of high-angle and caving caches like Cliffsides and Grapevines or Cliffsides and Caverns where the recommendations and warnings were prevalent and clearly stated.

In an unattended electrically-disguised cache that requires tools to open, an unsupervised cacher with little electrical knowledge or electrical certification may elect to trust their + or - 30 foot coordinate differential and start disassembling electrical components in their single digit range looking for a cache container.

Someone just hid a micro in the base of a movie theater light pole near me. That was a week before I went on a call for a dog that was electrocuted by a light pole not three miles further north.

I'm not suggesting banning higher difficulty caches, but unless you are trained and certified in handling the specific hazards the caches are situated in, then cachers shouldn't be attempting to access caches in those environments.

(For what it's worth, I would also be in favor of cachers submitting pictures of their cache containers when they submit the caches for approval because I'm tired of finding ammo box containers labelled "PROXIMITY FUSES" that later lead to Explosive Ordinance Disposal or bomb squad response posts.)

Edited by Wreck Diver
As a professional Firefighter/EMT, I can only say that given the number of accidental electrocutions and electrical fires I respond to in any given week, I am personally dead-set against ANY cache that is intentionally engineered to resemble electrical utilities of any kind.

We've all seen the evidence of outlandish cacher searches: eventually you're going to see a cacher fatality after they tried disassembling a high voltage junction box or transformer in the quest for a bitmap grin.

My opinion counts for naught, but I would offer that Groundspeak and Geocaching.com ought to ban this type of hide before it becomes a fatal DNF and a indefensible prosecution.

Of course we can all submit our opinions, and even call for a ban on any particular type. We can also submit what we think are cool cache containers (thanks for trying to get the thread back on track Stuey)

So I think caches disguised as electrical utilities are cool! Specialized tools shouldn't be necessary of course.

Someone who pries the cover off of a real electrical box, then sticks their fingers in there is just as likely to get themselves killed or hurt by walking off of a cliff, getting bitten by a spider or snake, or any number of other dangers we may face while caching.

I guess what I'm trying to say is "lighten up".  The cache container in question is obviously a fake upon close examination.  It's just designed such that the casual passerby wouldn't give it a second look.  What is the alternative -- have a requirement that you post a picture of your cache container to make sure it passes muster before the reviewer approves the cache?  Outlaw all class 5 terrain caches?

I disagree. That electrical cache thing looks close enough to me, my eyes can't tell the differance. I would suggest, as was said before, to put a geocaching sticker or something on it. I know that if this was my cache, and I found out that someone did get hurt or killed because they thought an electrial box was a cache I'd feel like crap.

As for your non-sense about banning 5 terrian caches and such. If I go after a cache on the top of a mountian, I know before hand the danger. Even on a regular cache, I know before hand that I might have a tree fall, run into a wild animal or what not. With this cache, if I start tampering with something that looks electrical I don't know before if it's a cache or not. And if it isn't I could get fried. I think in general this kind of container is a bad idea, though I wouldn't go as far as to tell the owner to ban. But think about it, it's like making a cache container to look like a rattlesnake, or a poisonous plant. It's just not worth it, why bother?

Edited by twjolson & Kay
What did you make it out of? I looks like it may turn brown after it dies.

It's an awesome camo job for sure!  :unsure:

Nope :huh: I camo´d it with the stuff which they sell at these model train shops. Predried or so. And they have all kinds to match almost every scenery ;-). Just be careful with the clue. If it is too agressive it might turn brown indeed.

Take a look at this Link. Just to give you an rough idea what´s available.

Edited by JeeperMTJ

I did a cache in the woods that used one of those cans. I just can't think of which one right now. Soon as you picked it up you knew it was a fake.

I guess what I'm trying to say is "lighten up".  The cache container in question is obviously a fake upon close examination.  It's just designed such that the casual passerby wouldn't give it a second look.  What is the alternative -- have a requirement that you post a picture of your cache container to make sure it passes muster before the reviewer approves the cache?  Outlaw all class 5 terrain caches?

I disagree. That electrical cache thing looks close enough to me, my eyes can't tell the differance. I would suggest, as was said before, to put a geocaching sticker or something on it. I know that if this was my cache, and I found out that someone did get hurt or killed because they thought an electrial box was a cache I'd feel like crap.

As for your non-sense about banning 5 terrian caches and such. If I go after a cache on the top of a mountian, I know before hand the danger. Even on a regular cache, I know before hand that I might have a tree fall, run into a wild animal or what not. With this cache, if I start tampering with something that looks electrical I don't know before if it's a cache or not. And if it isn't I could get fried. I think in general this kind of container is a bad idea, though I wouldn't go as far as to tell the owner to ban. But think about it, it's like making a cache container to look like a rattlesnake, or a poisonous plant. It's just not worth it, why bother?

Well, I guess I shouldn't have made the jump from cache container to terrain danger -- they're really two different issues. I was just trying to point out that all these things require some decision making. Do I really want to climb out on that cliff to get this cache? Do I really want to reach into that snakey-looking hole to feel for a cache? Do I really want to disassemble this high voltage tansformer in case there is a cache inside? Often discretion is the better part of valor. And I don't propose banning class 5 terrain or any type of caches. I was just playing devil's advocate for the purpose of making a point.

My cache is in the middle of a parking lot. Nothing else around but the light pole and a tree. Nowhere in my cache description does it say to take apart anything electrical. Oh, and there is a sticker on top of it with the cache waypoint code on it. If you pivot the cover open (no screws need to be removed) you'll find a baggie with a log a pencil. No wires, no connectors, etc.

There is a picture of a cache a few pages back in this thread that shows a magnetic sticker that actually stuck to the side of a high voltage transformer. I would hope nobody would try to take the transformer apart if they couldn't find the magnet on the outside.

That's all I have to say on the matter. I'll try to stay on topic from here on and say only positive things to compliment others on their clever containers.

I recently found a cache of vaguely similar design. The only reason I opened the camo was b/c the thing had the initals of the cache name on it. Just a couple of small letters written in an obvious spot, but not screaming "hey check this out!". So yes, some discreet labelling as standard practice might help encourage people to not just start opening up things at random.

A muggle would probably have thought nothing of it, but to a cacher it screamed "You just found it".

If you're going and opening random electrical junctions... well, that's just stupid.

I guess this thread is finally dying with all the talk about if a cache needs to be marked or how dangerious looking it is...:D

I guess this one is out of the question then...its not marked in any way...the only slight clue is that the PVC pipe coming out of the box is white instead of code grey...but you would not know this unless your an electrician...the funny thing about this one is that the corner where this WAS at was mowed and the tree was trimmed and the people who did this never touched the cache...

PANA0021.JPG

ELECTRIC2.JPG

Edited by Rainwater
this stuf is great! After reading this forum I made a cache out of a baseball. It's kinda creepy how much stuff they can fit into a ball that size. thinking of placing it close to a neerby field. Can't wait to try some of this other stuff. :D

Yea, but kids that lose their baseballs will go searching in the bush for it, and find your cache. I know we use too do that all the time. And they'll be wondering why when they hit the ball it explodes into a puff of paper!

this stuf is great!  After reading this forum I made a cache out of a baseball.  It's kinda creepy how much stuff they can fit into a ball that size.  thinking of placing it close to a neerby field. Can't wait to try some of this other stuff. :ph34r:

Yea, but kids that lose their baseballs will go searching in the bush for it, and find your cache. I know we use too do that all the time. And they'll be wondering why when they hit the ball it explodes into a puff of paper!

:D

Now that would be a funny sight!