Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

I have been trying to make a cache out of a pine cone for a long time. I tried carefully drilling into the cone, but it fell apart. I considered disassembling the cone and reassembling it around the container as others have attempted, but I was concerned that the result would be too frail for continued use.

After I perfected my fake acorns (fakorns?), I had the idea that the process could be repeated for a pine cone. It wasn't as simple as I thought, but it turned out OK.

Here is my proof of concept. I drilled a small hole through the cap to allow it to be hung.

ab582172-1598-4692-a24b-2fc6e633141a.jpg

Edited by sbell111

Ok, I gota know how you hollowed it out.

Sorry I haven't checked back here in a while.

I used a very large Forstner bit, I forget exactlly what size. One my Dad used for clock making anyway.

I spent three nights boring the log out since I could only work for fifteen minute stretchs with a thirty minute cool down time on the drill press motor in between.

If I did it again I would drill the first couple of inches with a forstner bit to make a seal surface for the plumbing test plug then bore a bunch of holes with a speed bore or augar bit followed by the forstner bit to make the interior.

I have checked the cache during different seasons and find the test plug dosen't seal very well in dry weather when the wood shrinks. But in dry weather who cares? In wet climes getting the test plug out after a dry spell (ie sealed when dry) followed by rain might be a problem.

We think our cache the AE2 is pretty cool as it is a remote control submarine. You first have to find the remote control, which operates the cache. The cache is hidden below the surface and the remote control allows the user to raise the sub to the surface. Once you have done with the swaps and stuff you then use the controller to submerge the sub back below the water.

a329ee25-dd34-4de1-960a-28695fad735f.jpg

Wow! How long can you leave the sub out there before you need to put in new batteries??

Being new to this I don't know if this has been done a hundred times before, but here is one we thought was cool. We didn't want to touch it at first, didn't realize it was the cache:

2b12e29c.jpg

I told the kids to stay away from it, lol! It's probably a good muggle-deterant. If someone were to spy us crawling into the bushes and followed in after we'd gone, I doubt they'd be examining the cache box.

How's this for hiding in plain sight?

4e4092b5-608d-4a80-8519-782501808e0c.jpg

That's absolutely astounding.

Is that a cache, or something else?

I saw this picture in a Reader's Digest the other day. Apparently this is a way to urban-disguise cell phone equipment. It would, however, make a killer cache if you were to to toss out all that telecommunications equipment and put a ammo box inside instead :anicute:

The drink bottle on the bike?

We have a winner!

So you’re encouraging people to mess with what appears to be the personal property of someone else? What happens when the cache hunter is picking at the wrong bike and the owner comes along? Maybe I’m missing some important details about the cache.

The drink bottle on the bike?

We have a winner!

So you’re encouraging people to mess with what appears to be the personal property of someone else? What happens when the cache hunter is picking at the wrong bike and the owner comes along? Maybe I’m missing some important details about the cache.

Thanks. This one I just gotta see. :rolleyes:

So you’re encouraging people to mess with what appears to be the personal property of someone else?  What happens when the cache hunter is picking at the wrong bike and the owner comes along?  Maybe I’m missing some important details about the cache.

Well, it certainly isn't meant to be an easy cache, that's for sure. But no, I don't want you to mess with any other bikes. The cache in question specifically says container is in plain sight, that you don't have to mess around to see it.

With that said, your "Cache Sense" will reveal the following clues:

• The cache is colored in the 4 Groundspeak logo colors
  • The Cache is attached to the bike with wire wraps, it cannot be removed and is therefore useless as a water bottle.
  • The bike is the only road bike on the rack, this area is crawling with mountain bikes.
  • The chain is excessively rusty. (Though I'm thinking of replacing it just to make the find harder.)
  • And finnally, the cache is clearly labeled with a laser printed notice, black letters on white paper, with the cache name and the web site.

(Note, I'm out of town for a week so I won't be able to answer any more questions. And yes, this is a Sock Puppet account so you can't look me up and get a jump on this cache. It is rated a 3.5 and same finders have asked that the difficulty be raised. Most require several trips to find it, the puzzle is hard and the hide is hard. And just to be belligerant, yes, this is listed as a "micro." Oh, I can't believe I mentioned that...)

so the bike its attached to stays there with the cache?

Oh yes, with a nice bike lock also. If I kept my sales slip I could probably get a refund if somebody cut it away and stole the bike.

With the exceptions listed above, it looks like any other bike at this location. This cache has been in place for more than half a year now.

Here is an intersting paint job on a small tublar cache.

I am working on a Guille suite for this same container. I found some thin - almost shear - camo cloth for really cheap - bought the last of it. Will add photos when done.

974f74ac-467a-4a27-8834-009d6072b0d4.jpg

Edited by CompuCash
Saw these pics posted in another thread.  I love the idea of custom containers.  The fav one I found was a log that was split and made into a container.  Please post pics or discriptions if you do not have any pics of Cool Custom Cache Containers (ok CCCC's now)

pinecone3.jpg  pinecone2.jpgpinecone.jpg

That is just plain sadistic. :laughing:

Seriuosly, you have a great imagination.

I've found two like that.

When is a cache not a cache?

Pine Nut

The only giveaway was the clip that attached the cache to the tree. Other than that, pure evil.

Edited by Webfoot
this is a photo of a prototype Guille suitted container - same as the previous one.

looks good so far - needs a little work I think

8eaf13c2-d96e-4fd8-8fd2-3713705943d5.jpg

I don't mean to sound harsh, but it looks like a paper towel. There are no straight lines in nature. I would make a drawstring bag out of some outdoor netting and hand tie unravelled burlap strings. You can hand-dye the burlap in muted natural colors to match your intended surroundings.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but it looks like a paper towel. There are no straight lines in nature. I would make a drawstring bag out of some outdoor netting and hand tie unravelled burlap strings. You can hand-dye the burlap in muted natural colors to match your intended surroundings.

well - I did say it needs work -

Its not that hard to find - but I used a decoy duck - the kind used for hunting as the 2nd part of a 3 part multi. I found it on a hike along the Delaware river where it had floated to. It was made of plastic and still floated well, but the coloring was faded. So I used outdoor craft paint on it, attached a thick wire to the bottom and tethered it to a tree, and hung a metal pill bottle around it's neck with the coords to the 3rd location. So far everyone has loved it, but Ive gotten a few complaints about the terrain, since I had to hide it in a remote area to keep it away from muggles. It sits in the middle of a small stream and gently moves with the current. Its in a area maintained by a local bird watching group, so I figured it was appropriate. Sorry no pics.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

How about this one?

bushyfishy.jpg

It's an antenna topper wih a bison tube stuck inside. It was ziptied to some thick shrubbery at a mall where a new Bass Pro Shops recently opened. The coloring of this thing made it disappear in the bushes. I ended up archiving the cache since it was pretty high maintenance and the mall had security patrolling the area. Some cachers had trouble with the mall cops.

This is the cache page.