Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

One of the cleverest hides we've come across that involves stumps is a piece of large log with one side cut flat to rest on the ground like it is embedded. The placer then hollowed out a spot for an ammo can.

One finder mentioned he sat on the log to decypher the clue!

It was clever in its simplicity, it still had heft and moved like you though it should (unlike a typical fake stump), and accomodated a full-sized cache! This is one of the few caches that stick in my mind.

I did a larger container (40 ounce plastic peanut butter jar) that has survived 7 months in a pack rat nest.

It was first thoroughly cleaned to remove all "food" odor traces as well as the label - used gasoline, acetone, xylene, and denatured alcohol in several stages.

Next was to roughen the outer surface including the lid with 320 grit sandpaper in a crosshatch pattern until the whole thing looked like frosted or etched glass. This then got a thin coat of Rustoleum grey automotive primer, followed by a 2nd thin coat, followed with ultra flat khaki camouflage paint.

Then I took some leaves and twigs and grass native to the hiding area and spread these lightly (about 20% coverage) on the container, and then sprayed a coat of brown camo, using the plant matter as a mask. Next was more leaves, twigs, and grass to increase the coverage (about 60%) and a coat of green camo sprayed throught he gaps. Final step was more leaves, twigs, etc. to cover about 90% of the container, and spray flat black.

Once the "mask" was pulled away, the container had a 3 dimensional look to it, with "foreground" lighter colored "leaves" and "sticks" and other shaded darker "vegetation" that seemed further behind, and then patches of darker green, and finally very small patches of black. When stuck in real vegetation at the hide, the container just seemed to vanish to the casual eye.

Of course within hours of placing the cache the pack rat went to work helping to more "naturally" conceal it, and every time someone finds it the rat helps re-hide it. Evidently it doesn't like the paint, and it hasn't flaked or peeled or chipped despite a lot of handling.

By contrast, I was FTF a new cache near another pack rat nest (81 miles away from mine) which had been wrapped with camouflage tape. The rat had gnawed huge holes in the container in the roughly 72 hours since it was placed and the brand new log had been half eaten with plenty of rodent teeth marks.

Another cool micro was simply an M&M's tube roughened with sandpaper, masked for some glue spots, then painted ultra-flat dark green. The spots masked for glue then had pine needles from an old artificial Christmas tree glued on, plus a piece of stiff wire to hang the thing with, just like an ornament. Yes, the micro was hung about 5 feet off the ground and 3 feet inside a small pine tree.

Well after reading all of these I came up with a couple of good ideas ; 1) pile of branches (use chicken wire ,create a frame and then fasten the branches to the outside using wire and black cable ties) , 2) find an old tree stump and camoflage it inside (did something similar when I was in basic with our foxhole the drills couldn't find it) , still working on a third idea . There are some great ideas which I will utilize in the future .

We placed an urban voice cache using the sticker below and placing it into a telephone booth. To log your visit, you had to call this 888 number where the finder would hear a "Welcome Cacher - Congrats on the Find!" message. To log your find, you had to record your geocaching screen name and also log your find on the website. The voice recording gave the final coords of this two-step multi where the cacher would find a traditional ammo can. This cache really challenged cachers. Some found it quickly, some needed a couple of hints but it did get lots of attention. However, someone kept peeling the sticker off the booth so we ended up archiving.

We might have to bring this one off the shelf again and put it back into service ! :rolleyes:

-- Puter --

Team BattleCache

Cash2Day.jpg

Edited by Team BattleCache

It was pretty easy to set up and get running. The cost was pretty reasonable, there was a setup charge of about 15.00 bucks which included the first month of service. The re-occuring monthly was about 5.00 bucks plus inbound call rate of about .05 a minute. We werent too concern with the inbound call rate as we guessitmated that the inbound would never go over 100 minutes. I dont think we ever had a monthly over 6 or 7 bucks. Well woth it for the fun of the cache! :rolleyes:

If you want more specific info, drop us a note and we will be happy to provide what info we can.

Best regards --

-- Puter --

Team BattleCache

BattleCacheLogoQuarter.jpg

Here is a geocache brought by Santa Claus. :D

GEOKÄTKÖ is in english GEOCACHE

34375383-4106-4bbc-adc1-1bd496c810f2.jpg

Great looking cache! Just curious - how do you keep moisture out?

I've enjoyed looking at all these creative caches, and I may "harvest" a few ideas for future caches. I do have a question, however. At what point does a camoflauged container cross the line from "creative" to "unfindable"? It seems to me that if you make the cache too obscure, you won't get any finds. I like challenging, but not impossible.

GEOKÄTKÖ is in english GEOCACHE

Oh, wow. That's one of the most creative ones I've seen. The GEOKÄTKÖ wood-burned on the end probably is what keeps it findable yet fairly muggle resistant.

In Texas because so much land is private property which limits placement to such places as parks and rest areas with very high muggle traffic, good camoflaged containers are often a must for anything other than an Altoids tin or film canister sized cache.

Now a recent New Mexico expedition on BLM land... you could probably make a gigantic cache out of a sea shipping container and only fellow cachers would set foot within a mile of it in the next 10 years :-) Well, maybe an exaggeration where there's oil wells every few hundred meters. Now a container disguised as a piece of abandoned oil field hardware in the desert midway between any oil wells, tank batteries, or lease roads..

<gears in head turning> (inspired by a display at the oil show) A wood or fiberglass or sheet metal replica of a pumpjack counterweight would hold some really big swags and travel bugs... A real counterweight can weigh many times more than a big car or truck, while a fake lightweight shell might only weigh 50 pounds or so. So one could place the fake counterweight a hundred yards out in the sand dunes and scrub brush where equipment capable of carrying a real one would have gotten stuck.

295f72f3-afe8-47a5-8468-99108ae05f0c.jpg

heres a camo ammo can I Just made with bondo (autobody filler)and sand from the area i plan on placing it. Just smear on the bondo to get a rock looking shape and than smear it with sand and push the sand on before the bondo hardens NO PAINT NEEDED alittle messy but fun! :( (Will be hidding IT in plain sight)

:rolleyes: I LOVE ALL THE GREAT IDEA'S

Edited by rustybeercan

i just made my first camo container for a micro.....i was bored so i got a foot long tree branch stump, cut it in half, drilled a hole in the middle then got some.....i dunno what they are called and put them in. Goes together decent. If anyone has any good plans for making a branch that can go together again like this, send me it...mine has flaws.. i will try to get a pic up soon

yes, i have also hear of the pressurized liquid cores shooting out all together and hitting people in the face. Watch what you do with them... :D

Don't really know what you mean about pressurized cores shooting out. Could you explain what post you are talking about?

Earlier in this threads many pages they talk about cutting open a glof ball and how some squirt out a liquid and others just explode.

Earlier in this threads many pages they talk about cutting open a glof ball and how some squirt out a liquid and others just explode.

Whew! before the post was a post about fake dog poop.... never seen fake dog poop with a pressurized liquid core! Real dog poop yes, but fake, no! :D

:D

Earlier in this  threads many pages they talk about cutting open a glof ball and how some squirt out a liquid and others just explode.

Whew! before the post was a post about fake dog poop.... never seen fake dog poop with a pressurized liquid core! Real dog poop yes, but fake, no! :D

:D

Little Johnnie accidentally breaches the pressurized liquid core!!!

mudd.jpg

Edited by chemfed
Earlier in this  threads many pages they talk about cutting open a glof ball and how some squirt out a liquid and others just explode.

Whew! before the post was a post about fake dog poop.... never seen fake dog poop with a pressurized liquid core! Real dog poop yes, but fake, no! :P

:P

Little Johnnie accidentally breaches the pressurized liquid core!!!

mudd.jpg

:P:P:P:P:P

I have used the Master Lock Select Access on two of my recent hides. They're weatherproof and highly muggle-resistant, so you can put one out in an area you would normally never consider (both of mine are locked to utility poles).

And for extra fun, the four-digit combo can be changed to whatever you'd like -- perfect for puzzle caches. Without figuring out the combo you can't get in to sign the log.

5400.jpg

Edited by Chance Encounter
I have used the Master Lock Select Access on two of my recent hides. They're weatherproof and highly muggle-resistant, so you can put one out in an area you would normally never consider (both of mine are locked to utility poles).

And for extra fun, the four-digit combo can be changed to whatever you'd like -- perfect for puzzle caches. Without figuring out the combo you can't get in to sign the log.

5400.jpg

A bit pricey $26 was the first price I found. But if it saves on replacment cost it may be worth it.

The coolest one I've found so far was a cache in the top of a Fibre Optic cable warning pole . . . :rolleyes:

However, the last person to find it really closed it tight and I could not get it open. :unsure: In my Geocaching equipment, I don't carry a pair of channel locks.

I'm sure glad this was a roadside cache so I could take the cache back to my car. I used the clamp from my jumper cables as "pliers." The clamp provided just enough leverage to open the cache. :anicute:

Edited by idiosyncratic

I was at Lexington, KY which is about 3 hrs from my house, I was geocaching, and I really hate it when you travell all that far for a DNF.

I was looking for an ammo box. But dont let that fool you, the coords. took me to a storm drain and it said you DO NOT have to enter the storm drain. Me and rangerroad looked for about 30 minutes then I said alright I give up, but Im just gonna run my hand under that ledge just in case.

Well guess what, I found the ammo box, BUT it was like a GI-Joe ammo box a little bigger than a .22 shell. I felt stupid, but that was one of teh best cache containers I have found.

I am trying to make a cache container look like a bird's nest. The container is a

2 x 2 in. round tupperware. i was thinking about putting clay on the outside and then pressing sticks and twigs into the clay. Sound good?

MDSeekers :tired:

NO.

:anitongue::huh:

Sorry, you need a federal permit to remove an actual birds nest! Your's may be mistaken for one, and then it'll make a cacher a felon :( Really, you do need a federal permit. Perhaps just camoflauge the tupperware.

Leslie

yes, i have also hear of the pressurized liquid cores shooting out all together and hitting people in the face. Watch what you do with them... :)

Don't really know what you mean about pressurized cores shooting out. Could you explain what post you are talking about?

I've cut open several golf balls and never run into anything like that. I like the idea of half a golf ball screwed to the top of a film can, and my brother took my other idea, inside a tennis ball

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT
I am trying to make a cache container look like a bird's nest.  The container is a

2 x 2 in. round tupperware.  i was thinking about putting clay on the outside and then pressing sticks and twigs into the clay.  Sound good?

MDSeekers B)

NO.

B)B)

Sorry, you need a federal permit to remove an actual birds nest! Your's may be mistaken for one, and then it'll make a cacher a felon :o Really, you do need a federal permit. Perhaps just camoflauge the tupperware.

Leslie

Seriously!?! B)

Dang!! I'm in deep do-doo!! :):)

Where we used to rent from, I removed a sparrow's nest almost every spring!!

They would build in the space up under a window AC unit.

After the babies left, I would remove it so we could use the AC in the summer.

But they came back every year like clockwork. :D

We used to love it when they hatched!

We'd have a little celebration dinner and fix a birthday cake! :D:D

We'd sit and watch them through the edge of the window until they got old enough to fly away.

Truely amazing!!

Sadly, for our little friends, we moved out of the house a few years ago and the landlord upgraded to central AC before re-renting it. And removed the window unit. B)B)

But now we have 3 bird houses on the back fence and as of this weekend we have full occupancy for the coming spring!! B)B)

D-man B)

I did a quick and dirty search of the federal code and the only thing I could find that was remotely on point is 50 CFR 21. This reg pertains to migratory birds and their nests. It states that the nests of such birds cannot be removed if they are still in use. If the nest is no longer in use, it can be removed and destroyed (but not kept, sold, etc., go figure :) ).

Removing an old nest does not require a permit. Using a fake nest for a cache is perfectly legal and would require no specific permit. Using an old, unused nest for a cache would, apparantly, require a permit.

Seems to only apply migratory birds, not the ones that stick around all year like pigeons and whatever kind the cat catches and leaves feathers all over the porch.

So it would seem that a non-migratory bird nest could be made into a cache or used to conceal a cache? Seems it's time to crawl up into the rafters in the barn for a ready-made cache that otherwise would be a fire hazard :-)

I have used the Master Lock Select Access on two of my recent hides.  They're weatherproof and highly muggle-resistant, so you can put one out in an area you would normally never consider (both of mine are locked to utility poles).

And for extra fun, the four-digit combo can be changed to whatever you'd like -- perfect for puzzle caches.  Without figuring out the combo you can't get in to sign the log.

5400.jpg

A bit pricey $26 was the first price I found. But if it saves on replacment cost it may be worth it.

Does anybody know how weather resistant these are? Could I cable it to the base of a tree and cover it while it lay on the ground. How about submerged under water? Any ideas on how to camouflage it? I guess it would make a great urban micro if you culd find a place to blend it in.

Yeah, it's a bit a pricey, but by the time you put together a good traditional cache with an ammo can and decent swag, the price can get high. If this didn’t go “walk about” it might be worth it to me.

I've had one of the Master Lock Select Access containers "in the wild" for a couple of rainy weeks now, and it's still completely dry inside. The key compartment is large enough to hold one of the APS (oval-shaped) film canisters, so I have the logscroll inside one of those for extra waterproofing just in case.

I would not submerge the lock, however. But for normal rain I'd say it should be good for a long period of time.

As far as camouflage is concerned, you could spray the whole thing with camo paint. Although iut's not visible in the picture, the lock has a sliding door that covers the combination dials, so just close that door before spraying.

And concerning using it as an urban micro, mine is right out in the open, attached to a utility pole. Even if anyone knew what it really was, they could not open it or steal it without a) the combination or ;) a cutting torch.

As far as camouflage is concerned, you could spray the whole thing with camo paint. Although iut's not visible in the picture, the lock has a sliding door that covers the combination dials, so just close that door before spraying.

And concerning using it as an urban micro, mine is right out in the open, attached to a utility pole. Even if anyone knew what it really was, they could not open it or steal it without a) the combination or ;) a cutting torch.

Make iti more challenging spray the dials too. :D

:D:lol:

Who is this " Dan-Oh"?? Oh yeah, he is this twisted individual somewhere in Southern California putting out some really fiendish, hairpulling caches. Maybe its something in the water they drink down there!! :D Actually, it was some of his caches that gave the push to try and throw out some fiendish ones. I just put out"Delta", not too long ago, which is a 4 x4 treated post about 56 inches high and I carved out a rectangular box to hold a 2" diameter tube, 7 inches long. I sunk in four magnets and attached a legal size aluminum "no trespassing" sign on it. I even had a GC tie his dog to the post while he searched the area around it... I have some pics but don't know how to upload them, so if youre interested just drop me an email...

Hey Dan-Oh!! Howz about kicking down some pics??? You can email them to my sister in Northern Cali...does that count??? :blink:

Sorry, I only give out spoilers on caches that are archived, like this one. As always, I'll send container images to those outside of Southern California. Dunno about anyone related to Drew though. :mad:

electrical_magnet1.jpg

electrical_magnet2.jpg

Besides, you've found all of 'em that I've hidden...so far. icon_smile_evil.gif