Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

Thanks for all the great ideas. I am also a newbie and I was wondering how I can hide a cache in a busy area and not have it muggled the next day.

This thread also reminded me that we have small plastic olive barrels at work about the size of a big plastic pop bottle but with a big screw on lid. They are brown, have a handle, and are water-tight. They will make perfect caches.

I'll just have to wash them really well. Even so I doubt bears will like the smell of olive brine.

The thing about bears though is, something does not have to smell "good" for them to be interested in it. They are curious and will tear something up just to see what it is that has such an unusual smell. Instead of bleach (which would work also) you could use a water/baking soda soak. Have fun.

02250286fd67_Main200.jpg

here's a great idea for a CCC for my idaho neighbors to the north. it would fit right in. and the best part is, there's already a 'secret' storage compartment. put it right by the 'free taters for out of staters' sign! talk about camoflage!

EDIT: SPELLING

Edited by beopots
Its been my experience that hot-glue doesn't weather well at all. Nice looking containers though!

I've had good luck (up to a year exposure) with Marine Goop. It is less UV sensitive than the other varieties of Goop, although it will eventually yellow and deteriorate on the surface if a spot of it is left exposed for over a year (tried to fix cracks in a vinyl car top with it)

"Desert Oasis" in Odessa, during post-muggle resurrection, was assembled with Carpenter's Goop since it sticks to masonry and rocks a bit better. It holds some of the smaller camouflage rocks in place so they don't shift and fall beneath the container when it's being removed and replaced, and to cover some gaps in the hiding spot so it looks solid rather than hollow.

Adding a Picture to a Forum Post

1. Your picture must be on the internet somewhere -- not on the hard drive. If you want to share a personal photo, but don't have web space, upload it to a cache log, cache page or your profile page.

2. Copy the URL for the image so that it's in your clipboard.

3. Compose your forum post. When you want to insert the image, click on the IMG button in the top "Code Buttons" section.

4. A dialog box will pop up, prompting you for the URL of the image. Paste the URL from your clipboard into the box (Ctrl-V = paste) and click "OK."

5. Preview your post to make sure it works!

If you are having trouble, try practicing in the test thread that is pinned at the top of the "Getting Started" forum.

I'm a newby but it seems like some of these are just too hard. I mean, who is going to find a hollowed-out log in the woods or a hollowed-out pine cone in a tree? The fun is in finding them and it should be a challenge but I think I would quickly become frustrated with the game if most caches were like some of these.

There are some pretty neat ideas here though.

I'm a newby but it seems like some of these are just too hard. I mean, who is going to find a hollowed-out log in the woods or a hollowed-out pine cone in a tree? The fun is in finding them and it should be a challenge but I think I would quickly become frustrated with the game if most caches were like some of these.

That is why you want to watch the DIFFICULTY posted to a cache. Save the higher ones until you have more experience or are ready for a challenge.

Cachers in my area, DesMoines Iowa were getting tired of "park and grab caches". The race to get FTF is also a big deal here. So we started making our caches more and more challenging. Its fun to have to go back to a cache two or three times.

We know that within an hour of a cache being approved there will be cachers hunting it. SO the person who has placed the cache can stand and watch other cachers look for there cache. :unsure: I watched as four local cachers looked for the cahe containers I posted above. Nobody found them the first time looking.

Some of them had wrong answers to the questions I asked, but even when they had the right answer they were not sure because they could not find my camo cache containers. Here is a link to the two caches Duck, duck........Canada Goose and Duck, duck......Another Canada Goose

Actually, after you've found a few hundred pieces of tupperware under a pile of sticks, caches like the ones in this thread are some of the gems that keep you from getting bored with the game. Just look at the difficulty rating before you go out. The difficulty rating is how hard it is to find the cache once your GPS zeros out. For a true 3 star difficulty cache, you should be prepared and willing to devote 2-4hrs searching. Doesn't always work out that way, some times you get lucky, but that's the mindset you need to have to attempt high-difficulty hides.

Edited by Mopar

All right... most of the locals don't view this thread. I haven't shown the pic until now becuase I thought SURELY some people besides the person it's dedicated to would go and find it (buncha losers!).

So, here's The Rambler Cache:

ramblercachelo.jpg

:anibad:

Complete with "Bionic Reattachment Tool" to open the cache. Turns out he wears a size 13, so I gave him the other shoe. He wears it all the time!

Edited by joefrog
Another difficulty five (5).....

Cache.JPG

Post.JPG

OH MY GOD!!! THAT is devious!!! :anibad:

Can't see it, sorry (the image that is, not the cache).

Sorry for the confusion. My website is on Yahoo. Six years ago they advertise free website for life. I got one. Of course for the last 6 years they want me to pay for an upgraded plan. To encourage one to upgrade, they place access limits on the free pages, you got caught in one of those. It will become available when the accesses settle down.

All right... most of the locals don't view this thread. I haven't shown the pic until now becuase I thought SURELY some people besides the person it's dedicated to would go and find it (buncha losers!).

ramblercachelo.jpg

:anibad:

Complete with "Bionic Reattachment Tool" to open the cache. Turns out he wears a size 13, so I gave him the other shoe. He wears it all the time!

You could start a series with this one as part two. :):o

And look they are both hidden by funny guys named Joe! :o

WD4BSU has been wanting to do one like this Joel, and name it "Out on a limb"  I told him he was crazy!!  LOL :D

Well, so much for the locals not reading the forum... :lol: Sorry to spoil the surprise, Red!

:lol: Ronnie had already figured this one out by who it was dedicated to. :lol:

Hope to get down there and camp so we can spend a couple of days in the woods. Oct. was a bad month with everybody being sick and in Hosp. We're trying for last part of December/first part of Jan. to camp.

ramblercachelo.jpg

:lol:

Nope, no locals here!

Can anyone give me an idea of where I may buy a "magnetic sheet" of the type used in that dumpster cache?  Great idea...

--IntotheWoods  :lol:

I set up a multi-cache with a magnetic sheet with the coordinates on the back.

All was good, until I placed the cache.

Darned signs are now made of ALUMINUM !!!!!

Edited by DustyJacket
Where did you get the tinted concrete of that color?...

Anything else special, like fiber reinforcing strands (structural strength), or even chicken wire?...

How did you get the shape?...

I've been playing around with colors trying to get smoething that I really like. The one in the previous picture was a mix of portland cement, white sand, a hardener, and water. I considered using either fiber strands or wire for reinforcement, but I was concerned about their visual affect. I dont think it is necessary do to the size of the item.

I created the mold using liquid latex rubber. I brushed thin layers of latex on my model rock, allowing each to dry before the next was applied. I guess I put about fifteen layers on it over a few weeks. Then, I put a really thick one on to ensure that the corners and base would be strong enough.

Attached, you will find a pic of the rocks I made so far (and the mold). The real rock is in the upper middle. I am getting pretty good at matching it's appearance. I put the previously photographed rock on ebay. I figured I would place a few, give a few away, and sell a few to recoup my costs.

edit to add the pic. <doh>

08af2d5f-1cb3-4e01-9381-e41169c6b22b.jpg

Where do you buy the liquid latex rubber to make your molds from?