Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

Just MHO, but good cammo jobs are not the best for micros, those can be hidden almost anywhere.

YES, I agree whole-heartedly! It's becoming common in my area for a camouflaged chapstick container or bison tube to be hidden in the woods. While creativity in the container is appreciated, why not try camouflaging a larger container if the hide is going to be out in the woods? Or hide the micro in a park? The right container for the right location!

Two techniques that one or two cache hiders here think is cool:

1) Multicache: use a label maker to print tiny coordinates and the stick the label on a foot bridge over a creek in a park. There's lots of surface area to search. Underneath the bridge is fair game. Gauranteed lots of fun for the hider as searchers get frustrated.

2) Multicache: use a Sharpie pen to write graffiti coordinates on the playground equipment. Again lots of surface area to search and if the cacher doesn't have small children, they are sure to be seen as park weirdos. Ha ha ha! Those crazy hiders.

FYI, I do not condone either of the above techniques, in fact I discourage these. Note, these extra stages are almost always superfluous.

Just MHO, but good cammo jobs are not the best for micros, those can be hidden almost anywhere.

YES, I agree whole-heartedly! It's becoming common in my area for a camouflaged chapstick container or bison tube to be hidden in the woods. While creativity in the container is appreciated, why not try camouflaging a larger container if the hide is going to be out in the woods? Or hide the micro in a park? The right container for the right location!

Two techniques that one or two cache hiders here think is cool:

1) Multicache: use a label maker to print tiny coordinates and the stick the label on a foot bridge over a creek in a park. There's lots of surface area to search. Underneath the bridge is fair game. Gauranteed lots of fun for the hider as searchers get frustrated.

2) Multicache: use a Sharpie pen to write graffiti coordinates on the playground equipment. Again lots of surface area to search and if the cacher doesn't have small children, they are sure to be seen as park weirdos. Ha ha ha! Those crazy hiders.

FYI, I do not condone either of the above techniques, in fact I discourage these. Note, these extra stages are almost always superfluous.

When I do a cache that has PROBLEMS such as the ones you describe...I say so in my log. Maybe THEY will get the hint.

Wow, those gnome caches are really cool! It would be great to be hiking through the woods, thinking you're about to find yet another ammo can, and be rewarded by finding something like that. They'd have to be placed/constructed really deep into no-man's-land, though... any muggle to casually walk by would certainly go check it out.

Hmmm - like some of those where a log sheet is behind a flat magnetic sign stuck to something?

I just got done sanding and re-painting an industrial NEMA enclosure from a scrapped SCADA system that ought to withstand getting run over by a truck. I have delusions of making a wicked cache out of it, except for the obvious risk of "took UL / CSA rated outdoor electric enclosure, left coffee can" :blink:

The project that may get hidden first depending on how the casting molds work out is an artificial rock - one at least 27x the internal volume of the one Groundspeak used to sell, at least peanut butter jar sized, though.

Is there any real skill involved in hiding a micro in the woods?! :blink:

in my area, there are very few micros. I hid a bison tube with camo cloth tape on it, maybe those are a plentiful cache in your area, but there are none like this that i know of withen 50 miles, or better.

I talked to a few who have found it, it was a little bit of a challange, but they enjoyed find it, and i have a 'reputation now' of being a 'camo expert' (I wouldnt say that though). it made em grumble but they liked it.

even spawning new ideas in other peoples heads. like it was said before if you dont like it dont look for it. I even made mine a mile walk from the entrance just to see who would go out of there way to find it.

I had a local cacher tell me how evil i am (named me and my sometimes caching partener 'the Dunbar Demons' cause of some of our hides) and said the next thing you know i would be hiding a piece of bark with a log sheet on it, lol!

my response? 'not a bad idea, maybe i should silicon it too" :blink:

aj

B00004SPO3.01.DTLS.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Now what could you do with one of these stupid things? Hey, I couldn't pass it up at the thrift store. Of course I ran the risk that my kids would want to keep it. The entire fish is one piece of rubber and separates from the motor assembly. Just insert a container.

Now for a theme...

Now what could you do with one of these stupid things? Hey, I couldn't pass it up at the thrift store. Of course I ran the risk that my kids would want to keep it. The entire fish is one piece of rubber and separates from the motor assembly. Just insert a container.

Now for a theme...

I don't know about the theme, but a good name would be "Cache-O-Matic" !

Now what could you do with one of these stupid things?  Hey, I couldn't pass it up at the thrift store.  Of course I ran the risk that my kids would want to keep it. The entire fish is one piece of rubber and separates from the motor assembly.  Just insert a container.

Now for a theme...

I don't know about the theme, but a good name would be "Cache-O-Matic" !

:o One of my favorite SNL moments

You'll also want to add an A/V componant to the cache page. :lol:

I get these long semi clear plastic tubes with a sealed o-ring cap on one end from the local paint ball store. They are for holding paintballs (d'uh).They come in various colors, are a little longer than a tennis ball can and cost less than $3 (usually $1.99). I either paint them or cover them with camo tape. They are fairly water proof and have a huge interior volume. The cap is attached and "clicks" shut with a good seal.

I have a teakettle, but as it does not seal well, I have not found the perfect place for it yet.

Did a modified book cache in a library, it was stolen.

I have numerous old brass and copper sprinkler heads. Havent worked it out just yet.

I have a parking meter. Still working on how to incorporate that as well. Maybe a key in one location, and meter at next.

<snip>

I have a parking meter. Still working on how to incorporate that as well. Maybe a key in one location, and meter at next.

Man, a parking meter would be awesome! Talk about urban camo.

I wonder if there's any in town that aren't bolted down tight...

meter.jpg

wouldn't that be a cache of commercial nature.... now thats a big non no. ;)

:P You would get lots of money...Yay!!!! :o

My latetest ones include a pop up sprinkler.....remove the guts, and seal up the spinkler head (where the water would come out), and the bottom with silicone, and bury it.

Please don't take it the wrong way but, that's fun because......?

OK...so I just found this topic and I'm having a BLAST looking through at all these FANTASTICALLY creative ideas! I just have to chime in here to say I think the sprinkler is a great idea. It could be quite funny if placed as such. Could be a downright challenge...which some of you CLEARLY find most entertaining. In RWillieK's defense, I also have to say -I- understoond he didn't mean to bury the entire container. Afterall, lying the sprinkler on top of the ground wouldn't really do...have to make a small divot in which to prop it so it looks real.

I'm in the searches for the neat spots more than the caches. My girls are into the caches. But I've started hiding now...and there are quite a few other caching fans in our area who are just too good at the traditional hides. I'm looking to up the degree of difficulty! :o

Found a great piece of sea....detritus that may soon find itself laden with a logbook, etc. But I fear no one will ever find it, or a bird will build a nest with it...or....

But then, I guess that's part of the game, too.

<snip>

Man, a parking meter would be awesome! Talk about urban camo.

I wonder if there's any in town that aren't bolted down tight...

meter.jpg

If ya need one, Cool Hand Luke might be able to help :o

Inserted into a downed fence post.............

sidev.jpg

Have had good logs about it, some have come back a few times to find it, but enjoyed the hunt!

OH...MY...GOD! :o I think I'll give up right now! How many times have I looked for a cache where such a container could have been used? COUNTLESS!

I can just see me out there next time, in some historic settlement, checking every last friggin' nut and bolt, slab of bark, branch and leaf within a 40-foot diameter. All the while saying, "Just a couple more minutes," to dear somewhat patient husband and children. ;)

Funny how this recrational activity/sport/hobby warps you view of the world when you hear a news item.

Ain't that the truth!? :o My husband's eyes roll as soon as I turn to him with anything that VAGUELY resembles any sort of container...the latest - a dried chunk of seaweed. (He may soon confiscate my GPSr!) ;)

I had really wanted to post in this thread after we set up one of our caches this year but realised that in doing so I was providing a spoiler. We went for a maintenance visit this afternoon and found it had been stolen and since another cache in the area was stolen also within the last few days we have decided not to replace it. Perhaps it doesn't really belong here as it was obviously spotted but we put so much work into it that I felt at least I could now show it off in the forums.

lily1.jpg

The micro 'The Lost Mermaid'

lily5.jpg

In place and disguised with leaves.

Unfortunately, I think the unseasonal colour of the Lily might have given the game away :anibad:

Martin, Lynn and Maddie