Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

ha!

you and I are here ain't we?

you might be surprised - sure is a lot of traffic for nobody!

the fake drain is great - decent price too - the one I'm making does't have the double wammy of the valve - too cool - same drain tho -

and hey - I would look in the valve if I picked it up - they don't put valves in drains that I ever saw -

Isint ebay great. Look what I found by typing in Geocache

fake drain

fake wall socket

I had one of those fake wall sockets when I was a kid. I think we got it from a Miles Kimball catalog. I thought it was the coolest thing. The problem is, where would you put it as a geocache? It requires cutting a hole in the wall and you need the "key" which resembles a straight screwdriver to open it.

Check out the tiny micro I found at Pet Smart it measures 1/2 inch by 1/4 inch.

My experience with pet ID tubes like those from PetSmart is that they don't keep out water/dampness very well. The Bison tubes work much better (no I don't have any affiliation wtih Bison other than using some of their tubes).

I switched from using a pet ID tube on my dog to a Bison tube for that reason. She's a lab and loves to wade through water. So far the Bison tube has held up where the pet ID tube did not.

Isint ebay great. Look what I found by typing in Geocache

fake drain

I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but it looks like that fake drain is supposed to be mostly buried in the ground.

my opinion is if something is buryed you need a shovel or something to dig it back up. this is open, you can see it, you dont need tools to remove it, itll just pull out. in my book thats fine.

i dont see a problem with it.

aj

my opinion is if something is buryed you need a shovel or something to dig it back up. this is open, you can see it, you dont need tools to remove it, itll just pull out. in my book thats fine.

aj

From the Geocaching Listing Requirements/Guidelines:

If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

From the eBay pictures, it looks like you'd need to create a hole in the ground of an exact size and depth into which the fake drain container would be placed. A cache like this shouldn't get approved.

my opinion is if something is buried you need a shovel or something to dig it back up. this is open, you can see it, you don't need tools to remove it, it'll just pull out. in my book thats fine.

i don't see a problem with it.

aj

If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

From the eBay pictures, it looks like you'd need to create a hole in the ground of an exact size and depth into which the fake drain container would be placed. A cache like this shouldn't get approved.

It also says "There may be some exceptions. If your cache fits within one of the above areas, please explain in notes to the reviewer section of the cache page."

I think it would probably be OK as long as the place were you are digging is not an environmentally sensitive area. I've seen a cache like that near restrooms in a park. It seemed appropriate there.

aj

I didn't have to use tools for mine. This whole area is sand. Yes...you need to make a small hole. I don't think it is a problem. I think what GC meant by this was NOT to dig a hole and then cover it back up! :mad:

My feeling is that digging to hide a cache is OK if:

• the cache is not covered up.
  • the approval of the land manager/owner has been given, and
  • it is clearly explained to the approver

The problem with digging is that it leads one to thoughts of buried treasure. This is not how we want land managers to think of this hobby.

This is really off-topic for this thread. A new one can be started if you want to discuss this.

Edited by sbell111
I just placed a nanocache that meashes with this table perfectly...all i need now is a better color paint...this thing is tiny!!!!

They work pretty good and are magnetic. You can make it as difficult as you want. The logs aren't very hard to make but sure are a pain to sign and replace in the field. I giggled as I placed a couple but when I have had to sign one I grumble a bit.

I just placed a nanocache that meashes with this table perfectly...all i need now is a better color paint...this thing is tiny!!!!

They work pretty good and are magnetic. You can make it as difficult as you want. The logs aren't very hard to make but sure are a pain to sign and replace in the field. I giggled as I placed a couple but when I have had to sign one I grumble a bit.

these things are so small they are scary!

:ph34r::rolleyes::unsure::D

I just found another interesting container. It's from a new Tootsie Roll product. It looks a little like an M&M's tube but has a mechanism in it that pushes the contents out with a slide lever. A rolled up log and pencil stub fit in it perfectly. Open the cap, flip the lever, and the log pops out of the tube. It's silver too. Perfect for that urban fencepost or baseball field aluminum bleacher hide.

Here's a link to the product:

http://www.tootsie.com/spyStix.html

I soaked my used container in hot water to dissolve the remaining candy inside. The sticker was little tough to remove. Some Goo Gone and WD-40 got rid of the sticker residue.

Well I have been wanting to post one I made earlier this month but since it was active, I didn't want to give away any clues to prospective hunters that might stop in here. I went and checked on it today and found it was gone so I guess I can post it now. Not sure how the muggler found it but then again, I guess it doesn't matter. I had some good comments on it while it lasted which wasn't very long.

Hide and Bow Seek

I had the base covered well with dirt, a large rock, and leaves. All that was left when I check on it today was the one board from the base.

P8010368.JPG

looksgood.JPG

placed.JPG

And the animals are gonna smell that candy no matter how well it was washed.

TRUE! we have been working on a multi and one leg we used a altoids can (not washed (OPPS). well i went to put the coords in each micro yesterday to discover something pulled the canister under the rock and left it right beside it. Probibly a racoon, no bite marks or any thing. but we changed the cache to a different one.

aj

Hmm interesting on the tootsie roll container, but is it watertight? Logbook might get damp quick.

And the animals are gonna smell that candy no matter how well it was washed.

They have a snap cap. They should be OK if they inside or under something. If they're being used as fencepost hides, hungry critters shouln't be a problem. I wouldn't put them close to the ground or out in the open. I have one hidden in a pipe that makes up chainlink fencing along the side of a bridge. We'll see how it holds up.

Mrs. FloridaSurveyor has been creating some custom cammoed caches like this one.97222_500.JPG

97222_600.JPG

We are going to hide it amongst oak trees to see if anyone figures it out.

Can you PM me with the steps you took in creating that? I've been having a terrible time trying to create a pine cone cache, because the beefy cones I've found aren't taking well to a 1/2" drill bit, even at slow speed. For the record, I'm using an anodized metal pillfob that will be put into the center of the cone with only the cap exposed to hang from a branch. I suppose I could 'pluck' a pine cone and glue pieces on one-at-a-time, but there has to be an easier way.

Just MHO, but good cammo jobs are not the best for micros, those can be hidden almost anywhere. (YES! I know there are exceptions!) The trick to a good cammo job is hiding something larger in such a way that to a casual observer it blends into the background noise. A super cammo'd micro isn't much more than exercise in frustration.

JMHO!

To an extent, I agree. Camo'd micros are something of a new concept around here, so I thought I would introduce more of a challenge. I recently took a Hide-a-Key rock that was ungodly fake in appearance and camo'd it using crushed sandstone. If you really look hard, you can tell, but it blends in so well to its environment, that I'm guessing it will take most finders 2+ trips in order to figure it out. Using an aerosol clear coat as adhesive, it came out so well that it surprised even me.

Oh, wow. I bet adding seeds to some burlap wrapping around the container in a damp climate would grow well, with the burlap providing a good place for the roots to take hold.

There's various ground cover plants that one could plant around the cache container in early spring that would grow around, rather than on, it and totally hide it within about 14 to 30 days into the growing season.

The best "self-hiding" camouflaged cache I've discovered so far in West Texas is in a pack rat's nest. When you find it, and replace it, the rat immediately goes back to work covering it back up with thorny sticks, prickly pear pads, stray highway reflectors, and of course pieces of blue WalMart bags that migrate hundreds of miles from their source with every dust storm.

If you glue the sticks and stuff surrounding the container together except for those on top of it, and then glue those separately like a "lid", the cache is really tough to find but easy to re-hide because the sticks and stuff don't collapse when the cache is pulled out.

The burlap idea is great, just don't be disappointed when some numb nuts closes some if it in the seal of the container and gets everything soggy. It has happened…

That is one nice thing about caches in the desert / semi-desert areas - I've found several that weren't sealed properly by the previous finder weeks before and the contents were still dry. But all we need is a good gully washer and several cool, humid mornings for such a container to aspirate a lot of water.

Ok, maybe this is a little out there, and is only available in Chicago right now, but maybe Markwell or some other Illinois cacher with some money to spend might want to look into this idea for a cache container.

Funny how this recrational activity/sport/hobby warps you view of the world when you hear a news item.

Edit: I guess the "no burying" rule might be a problem.

Edited by Sputnik 57