Snide Commentary

ADKcachers

What's exactly superfluous or rude in saying Parking coordinates would be nice?

This was an entry from a guy who has to give his advice on most of the logs he writes.

I suppose it shouldn't bother me, but I really can't stand know it alls.

I find that the people with the most to say actually know the least.

What's exactly superfluous or rude in saying Parking coordinates would be nice?

This was an entry from a guy who has to give his advice on most of the logs he writes.

I suppose it shouldn't bother me, but I really can't stand know it alls.

I find that the people with the most to say actually know the least.

Not to mention the fact that the cache was on the site of a public monument with several different access points (Warren County Bicycle Trail, two sidestreets, NYS route 9 within a mile of the cache). Not every cache requires parking coordinates. Cripes, some people ride bikes or *gasp -- the horror* walk.

Not to mention the fact that the cache was on the site of a public monument with several different access points (Warren County Bicycle Trail, two sidestreets, NYS route 9 within a mile of the cache).
That information wasn't mentioned in the first message of this thread. It just struck me when Parking coordinates would be nice was said to be a rude thing to say. I'm sorry, it must be my lousy English (it's not my first language) when I misunderstood the meaning. :unsure:
Not every cache requires parking coordinates.
I never said they would.
Cripes, some people ride bikes or *gasp -- the horror* walk.
Uh-huh. Today I rode bike to a cache maybe about 7 km in -10° C. No biggie.

am i the only one who doesnt believe in censoring others' opinions?

"The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error." ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Wow. This solicited alot of replies.

I understand the idea about coordinates and all, but be fair and let people know

if they are off.

Reason being that if they are way off like that, and it is listed as a difficulty of

1 and a terrain of 1 but the cache resides 50 feet away, it is hard to find.

(I already hear everyone saying, that's the point.)

But what do we tell people who are first getting involved in geo-caching ?

Look for difficulty of 1 at first.

So on behalf of them, thanks !

:P

Seriously, caching shouldn't necessarily be made more difficult than necessary and

rate it appropriately, otherwise I have a cache for you. Coordinates are as follows...

State of California.

Best of luck ! Should be easy for an experienced geocacher...

(And feel feel free to turn off the GPS when you are within 50 feet.)

:lol:

Now there are also people like Dr. Bob who put up caches but let everyone know

well in advance that the coordinates are a suggestion, however he cleverly gives other

clues that ultimately lead to the cache and he rates them accordingly.

That's the point I guess, if you mismark coords, then rate accordingly.

Play fair, that's all.

Cheers !

Speaking as one who has been flamed for not providing parking coords I'm thinking of placing my next cache at the "Park & Ride" at the local interstate exit (I'll post the coordinates for sure!) and post my cell phone number. that way I can simply drive out to the exit and hand the cache container over and wait for them to trade and sign the logbook.

It doesn't bother me if someone mentions they ''found the ccordinates to be off 40 or 50 feet'', but I do wish they would say 40 or 50 feet WHICH WAY! There is also a place in the post form to leave coordinates. I think I'm going to edit my cache pages to actually REQUEST people leave their own coordinates (uh, except for successive stages of multis, then the ''which way'' method would be best.). If several people leave similar coordinates, I could consider that good information for tweaking the original coordinates.

I do get somewhat amused by cachers (usually newbies) who say ''your coordinates were 17 feet off. I know, because my GPS is WAAS enabled.''

Speaking as one who has been flamed for not providing parking coords I'm thinking of placing my next cache at the "Park & Ride" at the local interstate exit (I'll post the coordinates for sure!) and post my cell phone number. that way I can simply drive out to the exit and hand the cache container over and wait for them to trade and sign the logbook.

You are my hero. That's exactly how I feel. You have expressed it in a way that I was unable to articulate. Can I steal your cache idea? :lol:

There are times when parking coordinates make sense. For example, there is an open space in my home area that has become completely ringed with expensive gated housing - more than one, actually. At one, there is a 'hidden easement' that you pretty much have to know about in advance. At the other, the area is a few miles long. You can drive to a spot near the cache and still be very far from the only public access to the space. In these sorts of cases, parking coordinates make the difference between "park and hike to the cache" and "drive around for an hour trying to find out how to access the open space, and fail". Perhaps you don't have this sort of problem in your area. Perhaps you do and aren't paying attention. Keep an open mind. (it's what your ears are for)

In the last week I've found three caches hidden in GladWare and flimsey plastic lunchboxes, all with standing water and dirty crap in them. I left comments about their condition, sometimes mentioning that the containers weren't adequate. Perhaps that's 'snide'. TS.

I also found a cache that was 80' away from the posted coordinates. What is worse, the posted coords were under tree cover, so you couldn't be sure what was what. I finally just went and looked at a very obvious place, even though it was on the opposite side of a gully. Checking the page later I saw that almost every post mentioned the coordinates being off, often supplying better ones. I also mentioned same, and said that the hider could revisit the cache page and update the coordinates. Perhaps that's 'snide'. The hider has not bothered to do so. Perhaps I hurt his feelings. Or perhaps he's just 'ignoring' the 'whiners'. Sheesh.

What I would like on every cache page is the cache coordinates, parking coordinates, the closest movie theatre coordinates, and the closest Subway restaurant coordinates! Can you do that please? :lol:

Seriously though, Just the cache coordinates are important to me. I do like the name of the park if the cache is in one. I would never expect the Cache Keeper to provide that info all the time.