Snide Commentary

ADKcachers

I posted this question on a local forum and it escalated into an argument. Folks on this forum appear to have thicker skins.

What's your opinion of the superfluous, often rude comments placed by a few cachers on the web log? Such as: Parking coordinates would be nice, or: cache is about 30 feet from coordinates.

To me, parking coordinates are a nice extra and don't need to be included with every cache, apparently some folks are being spoiled by the provision of parking coordinates. If you can't find parking by your own wits, perhaps you shouldn't be doing this.

As far as coordinates being 30 feet off, I feel lucky if they're 30 feet off. I start peeling my eyes at around 50-70 feet.

I guess no matter what we do, we're going to find whiners. Please share your comments.

Thanks

Edit the comments, its your cache...you set the page, do it the way you want to.

Just to be clear, you can not edit someone elses post. Your choices are to delete or encrypt.

I think people who post that a cache is 30' off are making fools of themselves anyway. Just laugh it off...I'm sure others are laughing at them too.

Yes, some are whiners; some are lazy. As far as rude comments, I think most people are sincerely attempting to offer advice or opinion (everybody has one). The inherent problem seems to be writing skills.

Tone is very difficult to express in the written word. Even with the emoticon smilies, it is easy to be misread.

For instance, when someone logs a cache with "TNLNSL," is that rude, or was the finder in a hurry, or forgot to bring a trading item, or maybe that is just that particular cacher's style? :):)

You are able to edit the comments, but personally, I wouldn't. Generally comments are made for a reason. For example, a comment about parking coords must mean the person had difficulties finding where to park. If you want that to be part of the adventure or think the finder should have easily found where to park, then OK, ignore the comment. A comment about coords being 30 feet off can be useful. Perhaps the coords aren't quite right? Once in a while, you will see a comment about coords being just a few feet off (and even 30 is kind of low). Those are usually from new people who don't understand how things can vary.

In any case though, people tend to add comments that will report their experience and provide information to others. I'm all for that assuming they are not stated in an abusive manner.

Edited by carleenp
For instance, when someone logs a cache with "TNLNSL,"  is that rude, or was the finder in a hurry, or forgot to bring a trading item, or maybe that is just that particular cacher's style?  :)  :)

Good point. The 'situation' often dictates how much is written in the logbook. Also, human nature is obviously going to be a factor in the responses found in the log. If you see a pattern of unwelcome responses in your log, then you may want to pay closer attention to the comments. Otherwise, ignore the malcontents.

I wouldn't worry about those types of comments. I wouldn't consider them rude. The one about 30 ft off is silly, but I wouldn't say rude. It makes them look more foolish than getting disgruntled over comments like that.

And as you said about them that "they should be doing something else"..I guess the same could be said about if you can't take the comments and that everyone is not going to be 100% happy then "you should be doing something else". Still got your thick skin? lol

Ignore them. There will always be a group of malcontents that won't be happy with something...

Every now and then the malcontents will say something that you will agree with.

I've had complaints that their GPS read 15' at the cache.

The lack of a log (grandfathered micro's).

That the junkyard was full of junk.

Homeless living in the area (good information actually).

That the cache needed moved and so they did it for me.

etc.

When the malcontents make a good point you can tweak your cache page when you agree. There are two times in 500+ caches that I've felt a need to say something about a location. I emailed them directly so that it wasn't in the cache log.

This really bothered me when I was a new cache hider, and anyone said something critical about my cache. Now, with more than 20 caches out there, and having read something in excess of 500 logs on them, I'm pretty immune to it all. If there's criticism, I consider the source. If it's someone I know to be a good geocacher, I'll schedule a maintenance visit ASAP. If it's someone complaining that the coordinates were "ten feet off, but we found it anyways" I just laugh at it and move on. It's a game. Accept the constructive suggestions, ignore the flames, and thank those who enjoyed your cache and left a good log entry.

The best advice is to ignore the log. Each finder is not going to enjoy a cache as much as each other cacher. What we want in the logs are real experiences, not glossy, fake praise.

If the log is a spoiler, encrypt it. If it contains profanity, delete it, but request that the finder relogs the find.

If you feel that the log should be responded to, do it in a note. A recent cacher posted that the coords of one of my long-hidden micros were way off. I was going to the area a few days later so I double checked the coords. They were within normal limits. I posted a note that in my opinion, the coords were fine.

There are too many people that get bent out of shape if anyone logs anything but, 'This cache was great!'. The result of this is that one cannot believe the log experiences when looking for a great cache to hunt.

People are way to quick to delete logs, in my opinion.

Coords being off can be useful information. If I'm at a cache thats off 20, 30, 40 feet I'll write it in the log. But I also write that it could be my GPS that's off, because well, it could be. You can't please all the people all the time. Trying to will drive you insane. Water off a ducks back. Let it go it's not worth getting upset about it. You could check the cache, make sure the coords are correct then email the finder. Tell him you double checked and the coords are good or you made an adjustment and could they please edit the log if it bothers you.

Coords being off can be useful information. If I'm at a cache thats off 20, 30, 40 feet I'll write it in the log. But I also write that it could be my GPS that's off, because well, it could be. You can't please all the people all the time. Trying to will drive you insane. Water off a ducks back. Let it go it's not worth getting upset about it. You could check the cache, make sure the coords are correct then email the finder. Tell him you double checked and the coords are good or you made an adjustment and could they please edit the log if it bothers you.

Yup and how many times have you written or seen written that you didn't have the same coords as what is listed. Many times a previous finder will list some coords in their logs which are way more accurate. Matter of fact there's a place to enter coords when making an entry...

Coords being off can be useful information. If I'm at a cache thats off 20, 30, 40 feet I'll write it in the log. But I also write that it could be my GPS that's off, because well, it could be.  You can't please all the people all the time. Trying to will drive you insane. Water off a ducks back. Let it go it's not worth getting upset about it.  You could check the cache, make sure the coords are correct then email the finder. Tell him you double checked and the coords are good or you made an adjustment and could they please edit the log if it bothers you.

Yup and how many times have you written or seen written that you didn't have the same coords as what is listed. Many times a previous finder will list some coords in their logs which are way more accurate. Matter of fact there's a place to enter coords when making an entry...

Has anyone ever found cache where their GPS read 0 feet? I think the closest I've come was 3 feet.

Coords being off can be useful information. If I'm at a cache thats off 20, 30, 40 feet I'll write it in the log. But I also write that it could be my GPS that's off, because well, it could be.  You can't please all the people all the time. Trying to will drive you insane. Water off a ducks back. Let it go it's not worth getting upset about it.  You could check the cache, make sure the coords are correct then email the finder. Tell him you double checked and the coords are good or you made an adjustment and could they please edit the log if it bothers you.

Has anyone ever found cache where their GPS read 0 feet? I think the closest I've come was 3 feet.

Heck, mine doesn't read 0 feet when I'm placing my own cache...

Actually, I have had it read 0 feet on occasion when hunting a cache. Usually it will hit that number then start going the other way again. I can even set my GPS on the cache and it will read anywhere up to 30 feet for most caches.

What's your opinion of the superfluous, often rude comments placed by a few cachers on the web log? Such as: Parking coordinates would be nice, or: cache is about 30 feet from coordinates.

A wise person once told me " people will try to cover THEIR blunder with belligerence"

If they had a particularly hard time arriving at the cache, it must be your fault, of course. :))

Sometimes when I create a cache I know the coords could be off or I've even put in some wrong numbers. And if I made a real bad boo boo by sending them someplace else then I'll thank them and fix the cache. I had such a problem just recently with one of my caches, one of the coords was off in the virtual section. but the main cache was probably ok.

Here is an example of what was logged on the cache. In regards to the final location.

"we found the micro without difficulty and moved on to the final. That coordinate seems a slight bit off. My Garmin showed 12ft accuracy and that the cache was 26 feet away when I was standing on it. Did several averages with no improvement. Fortunately, ?? ?? ?? spied it in an increasing radius from the coordinate".

Well if they had 12 ft accuracy and I had 12 ft. accuracy. Which could mean about a 24ft. circle. So those comments I just ignore and go on to the next item in the daily agenda.

Other cachers since have found it and have no coordinate problems, so just ignore them and cache on.

Coords being off can be useful information. If I'm at a cache thats off 20, 30, 40 feet I'll write it in the log. But I also write that it could be my GPS that's off, because well, it could be.

I agree completely.

Moun10Bike has stated this too. When I find the coords off by 20 feet or more I note it in my log. I log my coords too. This has been helpful where I searched for a cache that Moun10Bike has been before. And he is at most caches before everyone else. :)

I have experienced that several venerable seekers can log much more accurate coords.

I went to a cache that was around a daycare play ground. I didn't like lurking around there very long. Moun10Bikes coords were within 6 feet. Even though the original coords were only 20 feet off. I appreciated the adjusted coords. They got me out of there quicker.

Even if they only pointed me to one side of a 30 foot search radius, they are helpful.

:EDIT: spelling :)

Edited by leatherman
A wise person once told me " people will try to cover THEIR blunder with belligerence"

If they had a particularly hard time arriving at the cache,  it must be your fault, of course. :))

Yes, I have noticed that 'snide comments' are usually logged by cachers that have a low number of finds.

Most of that is just ignorance. They aren't meaning to be rude, or they don't understand the game enough to know the difference.

In a community game such as Geocaching, tact and diplomacy are good skills to have. Obviously some people don’t have such skills, and they will not win many friends by publicly making disparaging remarks on the cache pages. It is difficult to criticize a cache in a diplomatic way that doesn’t hurt feelings. I try to avoid making such criticisms, unless I feel that it is really necessary. Private e-mails are usually the best way to go about dealing with a problem with a cache.

In a community game such as Geocaching, tact and diplomacy are good skills to have. Obviously some people don’t have such skills, and they will not win many friends by publicly making disparaging remarks on the cache pages. It is difficult to criticize a cache in a diplomatic way that doesn’t hurt feelings. I try to avoid making such criticisms, unless I feel that it is really necessary. Private e-mails are usually the best way to go about dealing with a problem with a cache.

Yep and sometimes better to just say "TNLNSL TFTC".

Like most posters here, if my logs show a few cachers having trouble with coordinates then I would review them, otherwise they stand. I quite often leave my GPS (12XL) turned on for days at a time powered by AC and with remote antennae connected. It is interesting to go back and look at the track after 4 or 5 days and see how much my house has moved around in that time. When I place a cache I will let my gps average the location for about 15 minutes and use the number provided. Above all else remember it is a GAME, a very interesting and enjoyable one at that.

Coords being off can be useful information. If I'm at a cache thats off 20, 30, 40 feet I'll write it in the log. <<SNIP>>

20, 30 and even up to 60 feet are well within acceptable tolerances. If a cache is more than that it's good to point out your coords. With you having an EPE of 30ish feet and the hider having the same you should almost expect a 45 foot difference.

Yep and sometimes better to just say "TNLNSL TFTC".

I think I remember a thread here awhile ago that complained about people that did just that. About why couldn't people write more in the log. The hider took the time to make the cache the least the person that found it could do was put some thought into a message for the log book. You just can't win.

I have only mentioned coords being off once. I probably would not have said anything thing but a person had noted it in the log book but did not say anything when they logged it on the web page. The point I wanted to make was that they had to read the clue very very carefully. Because there were two places that would fit the clue and they were about 75 feet away from each other. The cache owner did go back out and took another reading and posted updated coords. I just figure if they are off it is something I am doing wrong. Or the wind is blowing a different way.

What's your opinion of the superfluous, often rude comments placed by a few cachers on the web log?

If someone should dare to speak ill of your wonderful cache, I think you should do what most cache hiders do: put your fingers in your ears and say "la, la, la..." very loudly so you won't have to listen to it.

Better yet, post to the forums and call them "whiners" so that everyone can see how bad they are and how much better you are.

But under no circumstances should you ever pay any attention to their comments and consider any ways to improve the cache.

There. Was that snide enough?

I posted this question on a local forum and it escalated into an argument. Folks on this forum appear to have thicker skins.

To me, parking coordinates are a nice extra and don't need to be included with every cache, apparently some folks are being spoiled by the provision of parking coordinates. If you can't find parking by your own wits, perhaps you shouldn't be doing this.

As far as coordinates being 30 feet off, I feel lucky if they're 30 feet off. I start peeling my eyes at around 50-70 feet.

I guess no matter what we do, we're going to find whiners. Please share your comments.

Thanks

I consider some details to be superfluous but fun in terms of comparison of experiences. Afterall, what isn't superfuous to somebody in this community can be to somebody else.

As for parking coordinates... I never complain about that. If it isn't there... it's part of the challenge.

As for the superfluous info I put in... :bad:

On the caches I find, I try to remember to put in details about my EPE and distance from the cache when I'm standing at ground zero but this would not be by any means criticism of its placement. I started this when I first started caching and consider it as part of my trademark in the log.

I've noted that my etrex led me 50 feet or so away from the cache, but wouldn't consider it worth noting if it was off by less than that, unless other logs mentioned that the posted coords were bad.

I think what your GPSr is saying is a relevant part of the story for a cache log, and some people (including myself) mention it as part of the story for the hunt. Some people may take that as saying there is a problem with the posted coords, when that isn't the case.

If I really think there is a problem with the posted coords I will say so, and only then post the coords I got at the cache. They would have to be at least 70' off for me to post coords.

I think it's funny when a noob posts that the coords or of by 20 feet etc (and, hopefully, eventually the noob will think so too). and would never edit or delete the log.

My thought is reply in kind.

Parking coordinates would be nice --> Save a tree, leave your Prius at home and ride a bunny to the cache.

or: cache is about 30 feet from coordinates --> Please submit your exact coordinates and I will gladly install the ammo box up your rectum.

To me, these clever rejoinders enhance the caching experience. Good day sir!

It is a privilege to geocache, not a right. There is no accountability and anyone can choose to hide behind their chosen mask, just as I am hiding behind this one. With the animinity of the mask the rude and the crude can say anything and be anyone without the worry of scrutiny. If that is your persona you are welcome to it.

Just don't show up to events if you're a (donkey) in your logs