My New (well Used) Cache Mobil

The Weasel

My Landcruiser is horrible for grocery getting. Stuff bolws out, you need a boom to lift stuff up high enough, there is always dirt, sand, and rocks all over the floors. And worst the beer gets all shook up on the ride home. :huh:

Edit: Added the beer thing.

Edited by rusty_tlc

The only thing I'm not thrilled with about my WJ is it's fuel consumption. It is comfy for everyday and interstate cruising. It does a fine job of hauling people, groceries and gear. Of course, on those occasions when its been off-road, its done a great job of getting through whatever I ask it to.

We got a 2004 Dodge 1500 QuadCab with a HEMI!

Of course it is 4X4....so we took it out right away & got some Utah 'pin-striping' :D .

This is a real sweet truck & goes anywhere.

Jeep? Who needs one except to take a picture of it.

Well I just happend to have one of those myself, and believe me It aint no Jeep :D and it wont go anywhere my Jeep goes.

ram3.jpg

SLT,4x4,Quad-Cab,Sport, Full load except leather...and oh yeah, it's got a Hemi

Edited by JoeyTomato
I've had 5 in my WJ on a few occasions without complaint. Sure, the Grand Cherokee is not Suburban-sized, but it can go where the big GM can't.

I once had 6 adults in the standard cab of my 4x4 Toyota PU and went 4-wheeling.....a bit tight, and there were some bruised heads from the sunroof frame, but all-in-all, it was an experience......no.....wouldn't do it again! :D

Bought my '98 in August. Gets me to those caches I can't get my Ford Contour to...

119-1942_IMG-Small.JPG

Tax refund = 3.5" Rubicon Express lift. :D Once it's lifted, I'm gonna get me some 33" MTRs for it. After that, a rear locker (and maybe an upgrade to a D44 at the same time), then gearing, front locker, front bumper, etc., etc...

JEEP:

Just

Empty

Every

Pocket

:D

Well, I finally broke down and got one, too. I couldn't resist for the money. It's a '94, with 54,000 miles, and I can tell by looking that it has probably never been off paved surfaces, and I doubt it's even ever been out in the rain. I'm gonna change all that, though! A Jeep is meant to be off-road and to get dirty!

172989_2600.JPG

This was taken on the shore at Cheney Lake, out west of where I live.

Nice YJ, Sparky. The mileage is really low - good find!

You can see if it's done any serious off-roading by looking for rock rash on the underside or on the edges of the rims. Mine was really clean underneath when I got it - now it's got some good scrapes and gashes on the factory skid plate, the oil pan has a serious dent, the gas tank skid has a few dents and there's some rock rash on the rims. And I've only just begun... :blink::D:D

The first thing I did to every Jeep I looked at (and it must have been 25 or 30 of them) was crawl underneath and check the skid plates and frame rails. It's the quickest way to tell how they've been abused. Some had mangled skid plates, others had really new skid plates with new bolts while everything else underneath was whacked pretty badly.....ya gots to get up pretty early in the afternoon to fool ol' Sparky! I looked at a lot of really crappy Jeeps before I found this one! I traded my '99 Camry on it, and got the Jeep and $800 cash back! The Camry had 85,000 miles on it, but was still in good shape and really clean. Still think I got the better end of the deal, cause I sure as heck wouldn't have been able to take the Camry out on the shore like that! In fact, I hated even driving it on a dirt or gravel road.

I had to get the Jeep into the mud a bit just to get that crappy tire-shine stuff off of it. I hate that, and I hate ArmorAll. ArmorAll should be illegal for use on steering wheels!! I still have that crap on my hands.....I HATE IT!!!!!! That and the tire-shine stuff does nothing but draws more dirt and dust.

I've already got a GPS oval sticker from Groundspeak, just haven't figured out where to put it yet. :blink:

Just noticed you vanity plate. Good touch. Add a GEO sticker too.

My plate on the old GMC that used to be on my Toyota 4wd Pickup is "YMIHERE" and I want to transfer it to the Jeep....just makes more sense to see that plate on top of a mountain, in a mud pit, or busting a snowdrift!

Oh, and there are NO fluid leaks anywhere, either! It pays to shop around, that's for sure!

Lets see....

Lockers

Spring over & re-curve

37" MTR's

Doubler

Ranchos

Ram drive

Should about get you there.

Wait, Kansas, never mind. Looks good just the way it is. :D

I know there ar some good trails in Kansas, just giving you a rash. :D

Hey, it's the truth! Most of the 4-wheeling in this area is mud, sand and snow. Back east is relatively hilly by comparison. I'm really not a fan of lifts and larger tires....never really have been. I mean, they look good, but I just wouldn't do it. My Toyota was never lifted, though I did go from the stock tires to 31.50's. Never had it totally stuck. I remember a couple of occasions when I drove it in circles around other stuck 4x4s when I was still in 2wd. It's all about how you drive, not necessarily what you drive. :blink:

I just read an article in our paper about Kansas. One quote really struck me: "Around here it's so flat, you could spend 3 days watching your dog run away from home." :blink::D:D

This thread makes my heart lust for a jeep. (Actually for one of the military 1/4 tons that I drove myself around in. It went everywhere.)

Unfortunate, or fortunately, there is no real off roading around KC and Eastwards.

Or is there, and I just don't know about it?

For now, my AWD sedan does just fine on gravel and mud paths. Just darned little ground clearance.

parking.jpg

"It's a Jeep thing, you wouldnt understand" ~ common catch phrase among Jeepers

Isn't it quickly becoming "It's a Jeep thing, DiamlerChrysler doesn't understand"?

I hope to purchase a platform soon, and build it into a RealJeep sometime soon. Something similar to JoeyTomato's, but of course when "finished" mine will be yellow :blink:

... I'm really not a fan of lifts and larger tires....never really have been. I mean, they look good, but I just wouldn't do it. My Toyota was never lifted, though I did go from the stock tires to 31.50's. Never had it totally stuck. I remember a couple of occasions when I drove it in circles around other stuck 4x4s when I was still in 2wd. It's all about how you drive, not necessarily what you drive. :D

Looks would be the last reason I'd spend money on 'Ol Rusty. Kind of like polishing a turd, at the end of the day it's still a piece o.....

:o;)

It's not all about where I can get to, rockcrawling is just heck o' fun.

I have to agree with you most people should take a couple of classes in off road driving, do they have stuff like that back there?

I have to agree with you most people should take a couple of classes in off road driving, do they have stuff like that back there?

I'd say a good 75% of the 4wd's you see here (not counting those pavement princess Tahoe's and the like) are bought for some rich kid not even out of high school yet. They immediately get a gawd-awful amount of lift, tires too big to turn, and chrome from one end to the other, and are trashed within a week from trying to drive through drainage ditches and ponds. Those kids don't have a clue about real 4-wheeling. They think if they have big tires and 6" lifts they can go anywhere....they tend to forget that their axle clearance is pretty much the limit! Around here, you can tell the folks who know about 4-wheeling and the ones that don't, just by looking at their vehicles. The less chrome there is, the more likely they are to be real off-roaders and know what they're doing.

..... The less chrome there is, the more likely they are to be real off-roaders and know what they're doing.

The chrome factor is a watermark test wherever you live. I also look for Nevada pinstriping, those nice marks left by passing sagebrush branches. Add points for badly applied bondo and primer, after all who cares? your just going to knock it out again right?

Edit: big fingers

Edited by rusty_tlc

wow this thread is still going.

One thing to keep in mind with larger tires, it requires lower ratio gears (higher numerically.) So be prepared to spend as much $ on gears and labor as you did for tires and wheels. Also the upper limits for a stock YJ Dana30/Dana35 diff is a 33" tire, a 37" M/T-R would require at least a pair of Dana 44's, or better yet Dana 60's....that is if you plan to use it :) I've seen my fair share of Dana 35 rear ends blow up when equiped with a 33" mud tire.

BTW..."Chrome wont get you Home"

redwheelin.jpg

Rusty, no room for a doubler in a Jeeps driveline, the rear drive shaft is only about 12" long as it is. You have to do a transfer case reduction (re-gear) to get to 4:1 from stock 2.72:1...oh yeah, that's another $1000 :)

Edited by JoeyTomato
wow this thread is still going.

One thing to keep in mind with larger tires, it requires lower ratio gears (higher numerically.) So be prepared to spend as much $ on gears and labor as you did for tires and wheels. Also the upper limits for a stock YJ Dana30/Dana35 diff is a 33" tire, a 37" M/T-R would require at least a pair of Dana 44's, or better yet Dana60's....that is if you plan to use it :) I've seen my fair share of Dana 35 rear ends blow up when equiped with a 33" mud tire.

BTW..."Chrome wont get you Home"

Good point about the gear ratio's. On a side note, I had a friend that had a '79 Ford 4x4, 3" lift, 33" tires. He kept throwing the rear drive line out of it because he didn't compensate for the lift angle. So, after replacing half a dozen, he just decided to drive it with only the front drive shaft. It blew apart on the highway at 75mph, cracked the tranny case, destroyed the transfer case, knocked holes in the floor board and firewall, ripped of the oil pan, and a piece of it embedded in his foot. Not the sharpest pencil in the drawer. :)

Edited by Sparky-Watts

Rusty, no room for a doubler in a Jeeps driveline, the rear drive shaft is only about 12" long as it is. You have to do a transfer case reduction (re-gear) to get to 4:1 from stock 2.72:1...oh yeah, that's another $1000 :)

Just one more reason I love my 'Ol Rusty TLC. The doubler cost about the same, but you have the flexability to go to the higher ratio on the highway.

Yup, I had to spend an entire day to re-aligne my driveshafts, not just due to the lift, but the fact that I raised my transfercase 3" to sit flat to the underside of the frame. I replaced the stock rear shaft with a high angle CV shaft, rotated the rear pinion tilt aprox 12º by adjusting rear lower control arms in while adjusting the upper control arms out.

It's critical that there are no driveline vibrations.

Most street 4x4's that lift for looks, drop the t-case to compensate for the added lift hieght, but to me that negates the purpose for the lift in the first place. (More Clearence!)

Edited by JoeyTomato

Rusty, no room for a doubler in a Jeeps driveline, the rear drive shaft is only about 12" long as it is. You have to do a transfer case reduction (re-gear) to get to 4:1 from stock 2.72:1...oh yeah, that's another $1000  :P

Just one more reason I love my 'Ol Rusty TLC. The doubler cost about the same, but you have the flexability to go to the higher ratio on the highway.

AH but the T-case reduction kit only effects the 4Lo setting :) , 4Hi and 2Hi remain stock, otherwise top end on the freeway would only be 35 mph :)

This is why it pays to hook up with experienced off roaders. They know the exact angles and stuff. Thats why I joined a local LC club. I'd make a mess of it on my own. :)

They are also helping me to advance to a more technical level of driving, and hopefully saving me some damage and frustration along the way.