Nemesis Caches

Halden

...I wasn't thinking "magnetic" and was looking in the crook behind the guard rail and its post, just not at the TOP of the crook.  Duh.

Had the same problem with a similar micro here in MD. This was one of the first caches I ever did, and was WAY before I had a clue that magnetic containers might be/are frequently used! Was looking in the bottom of the crook, where gravity would tend to put a "normal" micro. Couldn't even stand it when I found the darned thing.

My nemesis cache is a georock, in among the riprock along the banks of the Tennessee River. I have gone three times, picked up rocks and shook 'em (@ 0600 in the A.M., before joggers and strollers come out) I had to quit each time because there were too many people starting to appear, and I didn't want to have to explain my actions to the park police...

My nemesis cache is a georock, in among the riprock along the banks of the Tennessee River. I have gone three times, picked up rocks and shook 'em (@ 0600 in the A.M., before joggers and strollers come out) I had to quit each time because there were too many people starting to appear, and I didn't want to have to explain my actions to the park police...

Maybe if you wait the sun will be in just the right position, you know Indy style.

This one is just diabolical! It requires hiking up and down the steepest, ugliest outcropping of loose rock and sandstone cliff around. (Smithsonian Butte). One of these when my achilles tendon heals after the first attempt, I will try again, but not for now. It's called "A Place Where National Treasures are Stored" (I'm still figuring how to attach links)

Mine would be White Pine the cache is atop one of about 15 pine trees, all of which are about 20-25' tall. I have been there twice and climbed about 8 diffrent trees and come up with nothing. The scary part of it is I weigh about 230 and pine trees aren't known to have the strongest branches. To make matters worse it was on my birthday, to date I am the only DNF log for the cache, and I had gone to get the hiders cool signature item. To this date I still haven't been able to get one of his chainmail items. He just put three chainmail items in my cache last night, but it's mine, I can't take it out of mine, it's for others to have fun with not me. :rolleyes:

I deliberately went out to hide the perfect " in plain sight" cache, and sure enough, some people couldn't find it.

One seeker came out from the Midwest, had over 3,000 finds and logged a DNF. (Now that is a GeoCacher- logging a DNF with that many finds)

Thankfully he did find it on a later trip, I would hate to think this 1.5/1.5 sore thumb would go unnoticed by such an experienced cacher.

I guess if you put it on a hill, sticking up like a sore thumb, and paint it bright yellow, it becomes hard to see.

I get laughs all the time when people tell me they couldn't find it until someone uses it to sit on. Or they lock their bike to it. Or hang their shoulder bag of swag on it...

It also amazes me that it has been there so long unmuggled, since EVERYONE for at least a mile can watch you "find" it. especially the people in the restaurant 200 feet away, who have nothing better to do than watch people on a hill and wonder "what are they doing?"

The difficulty isn't in Finding it, it is in NOT being seen finding it.