Distance Between Caches In Multi Cache

74s181

I recently submitted a virtual cache, it was rejected. I'm ok with that, because one of the people in the discussion suggested I create a multi cache instead. The idea would be to define an algorithm where you feed in a key numerical fact from the first cache to calculate the coordinates of the second cache.

I considered a couple of interesting spots nearby but they are too close to established caches (one I was considering was an existing virtual cache). My question: is there any rule, written or otherwise, that says the second part of a multicache has to be near the first part? There is a spot I thought would make an interesting cache about 15 miles from the first part, there is nothing particularly interesting at the spot but it would be a bit of a challenge and an interesting drive to get there.

Is 15 miles too far? If so, how far is too far?

74s181...

There is no rule about maximum distance between stages. Some people have created multicaches far longer than what you described.

Whether the finders of your cache will enjoy the hunt will depend on how interesting you make the cache. If you take them to three sites that are somehow related, in a way that's not apparent from the cache page, that's a pleasant surprise. If you take them on a tour of a historic area, with 6 stages spread out over 15 miles, many folks love those kinds of caches. But two spots that are 15 miles apart but not related in any way? Better make that second stage *very* cool. :)

I have had the same problem with a virtual I was trying to create. I am in the process of creating a multi with about 10 miles of driving with some minor backtracking. I believe that this will give the hunter a better idea of what I wanted them to see in the virtual by having them drive around a bit. My multi will be 2 virtuals, then a micro, then just a corordinate cache and then the final will be an ammo box. All this will be so far from civilization that the cacher will definately want to finish all in one day. I figure about 1-2 hrs of driving and hunt time total.

I hope this helps.

Peace!

Wildlifeguy and 74s181 ~

Be prepared for very few visitors to these proposed caches. Don't get disheartened and archive the cache because no one has visited it in 60 days or more. Caches like the ones you propose are time intensive to find and only a few, tough, addicted cachers will take the time required to finish them.

From experience as both a prolific hider and cache reviewer, I strongly recommend hiding easier caches until you get a real "feel" for the hiding side of the game. :)

Its not as easy as you might think.

It looks like the general consensus is that if it is 15 miles to the second part, then it better be pretty cool. The one I had in mind isn't, and doesn't have anything to do with the first spot so I'll rethink.

I also got the message that I should find more caches before I hide any more.

Thanks for your comments!

74s181...