uperdooper

Personally, I think an avatar is akin to a corporate logo. It's something to identify with. When I'm scanning through a topic, I sometimes overlook a particular comment because the writer has changed their avatar.

I'm not necessarily against change (and some avatar changes could be improvements; it has even been suggested that I change my own), but I'm more comfortable when I can easily recognize somebody by a familiar avatar.

I have changed mine only once. That was a minor change, just adding color.

(9Key is making me dizzy with his changes. I even emailed him ans asked him to stop!) :unsure::blink:

There are some I get attached to and bring back again and again. Others are done on a whim (like my current one). I like having something different to reflect the season too.

I notice I often interpret the mood of a poster by his or her avatar also. The one that keeps coming to mind is Geospotter's monkey covering his face. That just seems to put the right spin on his responses. :unsure:

Bret

I agree that avatars function in a 'brand recognition' manner. I definitely look for (and ignore :blink: ) certain avatars. I have pretty much kept the same one, although I have made some slight variations to it. Don't plan on making a significant change unless a certain company tells me to stop using their trademark. :unsure:

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Johnnie Stalkers
I think some people become really attached to thier geo persona. For some, the avatar is like an alter ego of sorts. Some would not think of changing a part of themselves.

I felt that way about my waving pikachu back when we could have images in the sig line. For some reason I have never felt as strongly about my avatars, although I have some favorites that I'll likely rotate around.

I'm too lazy to bother with changing as often as some others around here. I had something else to start-don't even remember what it was until I saw the Redneck Cat Carrier. As a transplanted Yankee with 4 cats relocated to Dixie it seemed appropriate. Also, my name is the brand! I just wish uncle Anheuser had left a little more to our side of the family. They I could afford better transport for the kitties. :unsure:

I felt that way about my waving pikachu back when we could have images in the sig line. For some reason I have never felt as strongly about my avatars, although I have some favorites that I'll likely rotate around.

I know what you mean ... To me, you will always be 'Pika Cacher' no matter how many times you change your avatar.

I change it whenever the mood strikes me. But I am partial to the woofie, he's my favorite, because he's so pretty and I took the picture. My current avatar I took while I was in Paris, a pigeon, some graffiti, and the Eiffel Tower says a lot about Paris. The only thing I couldn't add to that was the smell of deisel fumes. Nice city, but I couldn't live there.

If I change mine I'm afraid J.C. will bite me on the ankle. :unsure::blink:

Minor changes like stu_and_sarah's or theme changes like carleenp's are pretty easy to follow. I noticed one today that changed a lot and I had to think about it for a second. Personally, I associate people with their avatar but I can adjust pretty easily. Seeing the creativity expressed in a cacher's avatar is really cool.

Sparky, I really like you original avatar. That's a good looking kitty.

Here are two of mine:

19490_1800.jpg19490_1900.jpg

I have four. The yellow one is Punkin. This one is Turbo Kitty

172989_400.JPG

This one is Tail Kitty (we had to get rid of our carpet because she kept blending in with it and we'd lose her! :unsure: )

172989_700.JPG

And this one is Pong Ping

172989_500.JPG

I had originally thought about switching between all of them, but just grew to like the "Wild Kitty" I now use.

i am not sure if i'm ADHD or just get bored with the same avatar all the time. i switch back and forth from one to another. i've notice a few other people doing it. what do you think? stick with the same one or use a variety? :unsure:

On the old private threads, I said that I was planning to change mine and there was such an outcry that I decided not to. I'm sure I will someday. It will just be a different NitroFish.

BTW- I thought your Hal "I'm sorry Dave..." avatar was really cool.

Sn :blink::D gans

I have four.  The yellow one is Punkin.  This one is Turbo Kitty

I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings :blink: but ... for those of us that think of cats as just, how can I say this, well, as just cats... its just a little freakish to read about human beings expressing so much affection for an animal that returns so little. I mean, lets be real, cats have about as much personality as a rubber chicken. And when a cat looks you in the face, you don't know if the cat hates you, loves you or worse, has no feeling at all. :unsure:

PS-A little voice inside of me is screaming, "do not post this message". Another little voice is screaming, "do it, do it". And a final little voice is simply saying, "it's Miller time, baby". :D

I know, I should of listened to the final little voice ...

Personally, I think an avatar is akin to a corporate logo. It's something to identify with.

That's how I feel too. At least after I've heard I've been referred as that horned guy from Finland. Guess I won't change it, unless I play with colors sometimes and change it red. Or have another Photoshop-doodling session, and come up with something totally different.

I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings :D but ... for those of us that think of cats as just, how can I say this, well, as just cats... its just a little freakish to read about human beings expressing so much affection for an animal that returns so little. I mean, lets be real, cats have about as much personality as a rubber chicken. And when a cat looks you in the face, you don't know if the cat hates you, loves you or worse, has no feeling at all. :D

PS-A little voice inside of me is screaming, "do not post this message". Another little voice is screaming, "do it, do it". And a final little voice is simply saying, "it's Miller time, baby". :blink:

if you have ever had a cat you would know that they are all different. some are aloof and some are extremely loving. i like a cats independence, but i also like the slavish devotion of a dog. it's nice to have the unconditional love a dog gives. to keep this on topic. i changed it again. :unsure:

My family crest has been my avatar as long as I can remember (9 years at least). The most I've ever done was tweak the size.

Same with the name Harrald. I've only ever used it. 17 years of an internet account. There was a time when I was the only person to use it on the net. Now I've found a few more on some other boards.

So JamieZ, if this was not a picture of you...

Groan.

I did hedge when I said there was only one.

The white guy stereotype was only a temp anyway.

Jamie

[edit] Oh, and I just thought of a third that wasn't me. Well anyway, most of my avatars are me.

Edited by Jamie Z

For a while, I was either spoofing a forum regular's avatar or combining two of them together to some humorous effect. They were pretty cool. I haven't seen anything worth messing with lately...although I'm thinking about a JStalkers/Sparky spoof...

Who can forget:

Rappin' Gollum (Kealia spoof):

42275_200.jpg

Pirate Smurf (GPSax spoof):

42275_300.jpg

Pirate Anja (zuuk spoof):

42275_400.jpg

The Orbited Eye (DocDean/Jomarac5 spoof):

42275_500.jpg

Good Wood (JBGood/Woodsters spoof):

42275_800.jpg

Pantee Raid (Pan/Hydee spoof):

42275_900.jpg

I have four.  The yellow one is Punkin.  This one is Turbo Kitty

I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings :blink: but ... for those of us that think of cats as just, how can I say this, well, as just cats... its just a little freakish to read about human beings expressing so much affection for an animal that returns so little. I mean, lets be real, cats have about as much personality as a rubber chicken. And when a cat looks you in the face, you don't know if the cat hates you, loves you or worse, has no feeling at all. :unsure:

PS-A little voice inside of me is screaming, "do not post this message". Another little voice is screaming, "do it, do it". And a final little voice is simply saying, "it's Miller time, baby". :D

I won't flame ya for it....I'll just send Turbo the Psycho Kitty to get ya. Yeah, they've all got their own personality. He's the kind that can sit on your lap all calm, then suddenly sit up and stare at a spot just over your left shoulder like there's a madman with a hook for a hand ready to slash your throat creeping up behind you......then he lays back down, purrs for a couple minutes until the goosebumps go away....and the he suddenly bolts out of the room! I've nearly wet myself on more than one occasion because of this behavior. The bad thing is, you get tuned into your cat's emotions too, and I swear I can hear him around the corner laughing at me! :D

I won't flame ya for it....I'll just send Turbo the Psycho Kitty to get ya.

I know this is borderline OT, but because your avatar is a cat then we should be okay. :unsure: Anyways, one reason cats freak me out is because I was attacked by my friend's cat one time while I was sitting on their couch watching a football game minding my own business. I reached up to turn a lamp on and this house cat lunged for my arm and proceded to rake my forarm with it claws in a split second. My friend thought it was kinda funny or cute. I was madder than heck. Since then, me and cats have not been on speaking terms. :blink:

I won't flame ya for it....I'll just send Turbo the Psycho Kitty to get ya.

I know this is borderline OT, but because your avatar is a cat then we should be okay. :blink: Anyways, one reason cats freak me out is because I was attacked by my friend's cat one time while I was sitting on their couch watching a football game minding my own business. I reached up to turn a lamp on and this house cat lunged for my arm and proceded to rake my forarm with it claws in a split second. My friend thought it was kinda funny or cute. I was madder than heck. Since then, me and cats have not been on speaking terms. :unsure:

I'm guessing you didn't ask the cat for permission to turn on the lamp? :D

Personally, I think an avatar is akin to a corporate logo.  It's something to identify with.

That's how I feel too. At least after I've heard I've been referred as that horned guy from Finland. Guess I won't change it, unless I play with colors sometimes and change it red. Or have another Photoshop-doodling session, and come up with something totally different.

107436_9800.jpg

my pic is our teams logo team lethal aggression there is or was a hard rock band by the same name so we "used"there picture since it is in a way a spoof of another local team near us team mysteries inc.they have the mysterie machine for there pic so we thought this pic kinda looked like the mystery machine on crack so we went with it.but.. the whole team is dropping down in activity exept me so i may drop the team pic soon and go with a more proper pic for my name maybe the pic from the get outta jail free card. :unsure: