Why Do You Place Caches?

woodsters

I place a cache to:

• Help increase the amount of caching possible in my area
  • Because it is fun
  • The challenge of finding a spot and creating better caches everytime
  • By hiding caches I find it helps me to think more like a cacher and helps me in my hunts

I feel my responsibilities are fair. I should have to maintain it otherwise I would just be littering.

We place caches because we've found so many good ones. If no caches were placed, no-one could find them. We're giving a bit back, and hopefully getting people to our favourite locations.

Oh, and in one case it was pure sadistic pleasure.

As for responsibilities - check on a cache if it's reported DNF with any conviction. Or a few tentative DNFs in a row. We'll also check the surroundings occasionally to make sure there's no beaten path/environmental damage.

Cheers,

Stu

Edited by stu_and_sarah

I hide caches because I feel obligated to help the sport. I would much rather look for caches but realize that if everyone had that attitude, there wouldn't be many caches to find. Also, the cache owner should have the responsibility to maintain the 'enjoyment factor' for others that attempt to find it.

Theres the old adage what came first the chicken or the egg. Well in caching we can solve that ancient phrase, the Cache must exist before the cacher can go looking for one.

And with that in mind I actually prefer to plant over find. I think in CO alone I've planted 40 and only found 80. Some of those plants are virtuals from the days of more freedom and less restrictions. So now I'm stuck with placing traditionals.

And since its my money that goes into the cache contents I'm not going to make it easy for one to find it. Actually it requires more effort to plant than find, for example on my most recent plant it was scouted out last year. Wrote it up this year, got it approved, disabled it. Then it took two more trips back up that mountain just to make sure it would work. And if you have a DNF you must go check it out to make sure if it was not found or stolen so that can mean one more hike up the hill.

It can be hard to keep up the maintenance but since most of the caches are so remote they really don't require that many visits and winter shuts down most of them until May when I can get back into the hills. But I have some that only require a short 2.5 mile walk to the cache and they get visited at least once a month. And with the virtuals I have to reply back to those that found them with a nice congratulatory note. So actually it requires more responsibility to own a cache than just hunt one. But when you get a "Thanks for the nice Cache" it was worth it.

Often its to introduce people to an interesting place. I also enjoy reading about the finder's adventures in the logs. In the beginning, it was to give the sport a boost in this area. With hundreds of caches within 20 miles of my house, that's no longer necessary, so I've slown a bit.

Edited by briansnat

Well as a cache owner I felt the need to add mine.

I have placed a couple of caches for the same reason as others have stated. One of the main reasons was because I wanted the experience. In my area, there is not a need for caches to be continously placed. New names are popping up everyday around here. There are plenty of cacehs to retrieve. Over 1500 in a 100 mile radius. But like I said, mine was for the reason of the experience. I enjoy trying to give other cachers a challenge. I like to hear their feedback and experiences. I like taking care of it.

Which leads to the second question of responsibility. I feel that a cache owner has the responsibility (to the caching community) to care for their cache properly. To not just toss it out there or a bunch. I feel it's my responsibility not to place more than I can properly care for. I feel the responsibility of responding to my cache in timely manner when someone reports a problem and to check on it in between those times from time to time. I feel the responsibility to ensure the container is still dry and good working order. To make sure the required items (logbook, writing utensil, and finders sheet) are dry and are serviceable. Also to ensure that the surrounding environment is not being adversly affected. To make sure the cache is in the right place and hasn't been moved or left exposed out in the open. To check and verify the logbook with the online logs for quality control, to try and keep it fair for those that have serached for my cache physically. To also respond to those who contact me with questions and problems. I feel the responsibility of caring for the cache as it is a privilege that GC allows me to list it on their site. I guess that also makes me feel responsible to follow the guidelines set forth when placing and maintaining my cache.

My reasons vary a bit for each cache, but mainly:

I enjoy hunting caches that others hide, I think it's only right to try and return the favor.

Hiding them helps me appreciate the trouble and creative processes that others went through to hide their caches, and get a little more enjoyment hunting them.

Like Halden said, helps me think more like the hider.

Lets me show others places I like, and get their impressions of them.

I enjoy the creative process involved, and the fact that it will be critiqued by others.

Gives me a way to get rid of all those old golf balls I have rolling around (FTF prize: one of the cleaner ones).

My responsibilities, as I see them:

First: make sure the coordinates are reasonably correct

Respond to problems other cachers are having with my cache, in a timely manner.

Make fairly regular maintenance runs, to check: area impact (CITO when needed), quantity/quality of trading items, cache condition, and re-hide it where I originally hid it (if it has moved).

I placed my only cache as a test. Being rather new when I placed it, I wanted to see how much people are into the game, and if they would bother coming out to the sticks for a really lame cache. Ya know what? They did! So, I upgraded the cache, and am planning more caches soon. I think the owner's responsibility has been stated pretty well in all the previous posts, so I won't drag it out, except to say that you have to be responsive to any questionable logs that indicate there may be a problem with your cache. Do maintenence whether logs indicate it's needed or not on a regular basis. I've set my own standards for maintenence every 5 logs or once a month, whichever comes first.

I've set my own standards for maintenence every 5 logs or once a month, whichever comes first.

Very good and high standards. I would appreciate finding your caches, knowing that you are a good provider to your caches...lol

I would set mine probably at a little higher. Maybe every 10 finds or every 3 months. Depends on the traffic and it's location.

I have received a couple of DNF's on mine and went to check and it was still there. Was a micro and cleverly hidden I must say. So I think the ability to do that for those who can not find them is nice as well.

I have as much fun hiding as I do finding. Some caches I put out there as a challenge, some I put out there to direct people to a specific place I think is worthy. In all cases I hide to increase the inventory and to get players reaction in the logs. That's probably my favorite part, reading the logs.

When I started a few months ago there were 2 caches in the northern part of my county; there are now 20+, all added caches being placed by me. I place caches to increase the number in the area in the hopes that others will get interested in the activity and place caches for me to go and find.

I have placed an assortment of caches from the drive-by micro to the multi- spread over a 10 mile distance. I wil probably keep adding caches for a few more months and then only add when I find a great spot or come up with a more devious idea. I find that caching in new areas always brings new ideas as you are exposed to different hiding techniques/containers/etc.

My responsibilities as a hider are to make sure that the cache is in proper working order; which includes (amongst other things) logbook dry, trade items reasonable, cache hidden correctly. I had a log a few days ago on a micro that said they couldn't replace it in the same position, and basically left it out in the open; since this cache was only 1.5 miles away from home I raced over the same day to replace it correctly. I can't always service a cache that promptly, but will try. It is my stuff, and if I want people to visit the caches I have placed I should try to ensure that they are findable based on the cache description.

Since there are few caches in the area not owned by me (and it takes me almost an hours drive to get to the closest cache not already found by me) (and my wife isn't all that interested in accompanying me on cache hunting trips) (and my wife doesn't like me zipping off on my own for a few hours) I enjoy the process of developing, researching and placing a cache. I may still be new at it, and have probably already placed too many lame caches, but it is fun to get a cache set-up and then to see the logs of visitors. (Even if they say that the cache sucks!)

This activity/hobby/sport/obsession is way too much fun!

When I started a few months ago there were 2 caches in the northern part of my county; there are now 20+, all added caches being placed by me. I place caches to increase the number in the area in the hopes that others will get interested in the activity and place caches for me to go and find.

My, you have been busy! I'd guess that nobody else there has time to place new caches because they're all busy finding the ones you've planted! Wow.......Way to go!! :unsure:

EDIT:Spelling and grammar.

Edited by Sparky-Watts

Why do I place caches? It's part of the fun of the sport! I like to place them nearby so they are easy to maintain. I only have a few right now but just got a shipment of 30 ammo cans so you can guess what I'm gonna be doing in the near future. He he he!

Responsibilities? As a member of the sport it is a responsibility to place caches to keep the sport going. There are a few in my area, and I've already found most of them, so now I am going to be placing a bunch more to draw more people out to the beautiful area in which I live!

Peace!

Because the voices in my head tell me to!! :unsure:

:D The voices in my head don't like you. :D

No not really-in fact we've never met-I just like saying that; and your post triggered the response. :blink:

Different reasons for each hide. Mostly just to give back to the community that has given me so much pleasure in finding theirs.

I have hidden one cache because I wanted to share a special nature preserve.

I hid a second because this area needed a TB Hotel and I found a perfect spot near the airport and interstate. It's been out there for 13 months and has over 150 log entries. Of course some locals just like to revisit it at times.

Another cache happened because I saw a perfect container at ToysRus. (email for details.)

The most recent was an event multi-cache which was hidden to provide a unique challenge for a 1000th find for someone. It was left in place slightly modified for all others to attempt and it is wicked.

I have a few more in the works, but they will be complicated hides, and I keep deciding to find rather than hide these days.

I'll check on a cache as quickly as possible after a DNF or negative post from a finder, otherwise I'll assume all is well. JMHO

I love to place caches for all the reasons people here have said-- but mainly, I'm with RK-- I do it 'cause I get a huge kick out of it! I think it's funner than heck! In my mind it's like doing something nice for people, giving them the gift of some fun or a challenge or a nice area to look at or something quirky that might put a smile on their faces... AND I get something back, too in the form of nice comments on the logs...also, it's my way of saying "Thanks" to all you guys who came before and helped develop the game. I want to do my part to give back to this obsession that has given me so much! :unsure:

I just went to the crafts store yesterday and got some stuff that will turn into some really creative caches in the future!!

I think reasons why I don't place many caches are more telling than reasons why I have placed them. Of course, I enjoy reading logs on the pages. It only seems right to participate in the other side of the game. But, I have held off placing some caches I have planned for several reasons.

I can not think of any area close enough to home that fit the bill for the caches I wish to place. I need a location that will hold two large containers, be accessible 24 hours a day, have little traffic from muggles, and be close enough to the city for people to want to visit the cache. It's a real problem. I like to place the kind of caches I would want to find, so I don't want peope to have too much exposure while searching. I like a cache that you can hunt for in relative privacy. I don't want to put one ten or twenty miles out of town, because it will get a first find within a week or so, then people will just get to it "whenever" because the FTF has already been taken. It's a lot easier to maintain a cache close to home. Most of the parks here close after dark, so night caches are on hold as well. One of the caches I have ready to go has a device I built which if lost, would be the death of the cache. I need to find a place for that one that muggles never visit. It also requires a clear view of the sky and a level surface. The one place that would fit all of the requirements has a cache really close by already, so that's a no go.

Micros, OTOH can go just about anywhere. But even though I enjoy them, I want to place the kind of caches I reallly want to find. So, the search for a good location continues.

As far as responsibilities, I think that as long as you can correct any problems within a few weeks, maybe a little longer, no prob. Keep the logbook dry, the pencils sharp, and try to make the cache fun for the finders. As to the contents, In regular size caches, I try to throw in some neat stuff when I place it. I'll remove any improper items I'm aware of, and leave the trading to the finders. Caches do degrade, but I don't feel like it's my responsibility to make up for other people's trading down. If the cache winds up with nothing but trash in it, I'll clean it out and put a few things back in, but I'm not going to put $50 of new stuff in it after the initial loot has been traded away.

At first my reasons were primarily to share the sights and sounds of places I've been to and to introduce topic of interest. My first two caches (Monkey King's Geocache and Chop & Stamp)were of that nature.

My last cache was inspired by the idea of another cacher and I wanted to see how long it would last, in such a public place (New Year's geocache). The cache is in a low traffic area, but in a unlikily spot for muggles to look at.