Meridian Firmware & Software Questions

Brian_d

I got mapsend direct route for x-mas for my merigold which currently has firmware version 4.06 & mapsend streets & destinations. Directroute sounds great for the next road trip next summer, but I've read some negitive remarks about how its made the gps more cumbersome for geocaching. My questions are: is it the 5.xx firmware or direct route (or both) that cause these problems? Has anyone sucessfully "gone back" to a previous firmware version due to these problems? Can you put streets on one sd card & directroute on another & use them both at separate times (if its not the firmware) - one for 'caching, one for road trips? I'm real anxious to install DR. but not sure if I should now, or wait 'til vacation... :unsure:

is it the 5.xx firmware or direct route (or both) that cause these problems? Has anyone sucessfully "gone back" to a previous firmware version due to these problems? Can you put streets on one sd card & directroute on another & use them both at separate times (if its not the firmware) - one for 'caching, one for road trips? I'm real anxious to install DR. but not sure if I should now, or wait 'til vacation... :unsure:

You CAN go back to 4.06, but 5.xx has treated most of us much better. As for geocaching with DirectRoute, if you wish to navigate the "old" way to a cache, simply press "GoTo" then select "Point to Point" rather than "Street Route". About SD cards: as you have no doubt noticed, you can only upload one map at a time to a larger (128 or 256 MB) SD card through your Meridian, but you can rename a file using a card reader, and put on as many map image files as will fit. To switch between them, just select the map you want in the Menu, then power the unit down and back up again. It works great.

To answer, I don't think that 5.xx or DirectRoute caused you (or will cause you)any grief.

The geocaching annoyances you referenced are in the firmware, not DirectRoute per se. They are what I would consider mildy annoying, and on balance of the Magellan lords givething and takething, I prefer 5.12 as a package over 4.06. Also, I think DirectRoute is good advancement in Magellan mapping software (you'll probably find it replaces S&D) , and you need the 5.x to run it.

But you can decide, any experimentation is reversible. Try 5.12 out, and if you don't like it you can reinstall 4.06. You might want to download the 4.06 from the Yahoo Meridian Users Group beforehand to be sure you have it available (in the unlikely event that it is removed from the files section soon).

Hi guys... I know I'm a little behind the times but here's my situation...

Bought a Meridian Gold this past summer. Operating on 3.12....

Bought MAPSEND TOPO a week ago. Also bought an SD card reader/writing to help me out. Finally - bought a 128 MB SD card....

Got the software operating and defined a small (5 MB) region to start with. I was able to successfully upload that region to my SD card. However, I plugged the SD card into the GPS but I can't see any new maps on the map screen.....

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to upload my firmware???

Jeff

Got the software operating and defined a small (5 MB) region to start with. I was able to successfully upload that region to my SD card. However, I plugged the SD card into the GPS but I can't see any new maps on the map screen.....

What am I doing wrong?

You need to tell the unit to use the map. Try this:

MENU>CARD UTILITIES>CHANGE MAP

Hi guys... I know I'm a little behind the times but here's my situation...

Bought a Meridian Gold this past summer. Operating on 3.12....

Bought MAPSEND TOPO a week ago. Also bought an SD card reader/writing to help me out. Finally - bought a 128 MB SD card....

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to upload my firmware???

Jeff

Just had a look at the manual on-line http://www.magellangps.com/assets/manuals/...idianSeries.pdf

it talks about loading waypoints,routes etc,but no mention of regions.Still worth a read though.

Page 71 of the manual.(Page 82/105 in the pdf doc)

Got the software operating and defined a small (5 MB) region to start with.  I was able to successfully upload that region to my SD card.  However, I plugged the SD card into the GPS but I can't see any new maps on the map screen.....

What am I doing wrong?

It doesn't seem to fix the problem. This is an interesting problem. I just noticed yesterday (Using Gold with 5.12 and Direct Route) that my map detail isn't showing either. In fact I had selected a WP about 5 miles from location and it told me that it was outside of my map detail. The odd part is that I have most of SoCal loaded in the GPS (Am using a 128M card). Tomorow I am going to delete the detail00.img file and try creating a new one with Direct and if that isn't enough then I will go and try the old Topo. If that works then I wil be REAL upset.

Edited by Vacman
Got the software operating and defined a small (5 MB) region to start with.  I was able to successfully upload that region to my SD card.  However, I plugged the SD card into the GPS but I can't see any new maps on the map screen.....

What am I doing wrong?

On my Meridian Gold when I go under "Card Utilities" it doesn't have the "CHANGE MAP" option.... What did I do wrong???

What am I doing wrong?

On my Meridian Gold when I go under "Card Utilities" it doesn't have the "CHANGE MAP" option.... What did I do wrong???

Someone help me with this one...did the 3.12 firmware that he is runnning support CHANGE MAP?

You might need to upgrade that firmware...

Here's a clip from the firmware update revision history, from gpsinformation.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meridian Gold

Ver. 3.12 - 06/28/2002 - Software Enhancements/Fixes in Version 3.12 software:

Added "Card Utility" menu to main menu (only displayed if card is present). This contains:

• Load/save routes and waypoints from/to SD card.

• Load/save track from/to SD card.

• Delete file.

• Change map.

• Test card.

Edited by EagleI
The file on the card is:

detail00.img

IMG file

5,300 KB

Well, that part is correct. For some reason your GPS is not reading the card. Can you save to the card with your GPS (a set of waypoints or a route)?

I ran the "test card" and it tells me that the card is not properly formatted?

Did you try formatting the card first? Page 73 of the User's Manual describes how:

Formatting the Memory Card - After accessing the “Card Utilities menu,

highlight “Format Card” and press [ENTER]. You will be prompted to confirm

that you wish to continue with the formatting. This will erase everything on the

SD card, so continue only if you are sure that there is no data on the card that

you may need later.

When the format is complete, the Meridian will turn off.

User's Manual can be found here: http://www.magellangps.com/assets/manuals/...idianSeries.pdf

Page 73 of the manual(page 84/105 in the pdf doc)

3.12...can't see the card...is that card a SanDisk? If so, you may find that updating your firmware to 5.x will let your GPS use the card. SanDisk changed their specs slightly which made them usable in many things (e.g. cameras, PDAs, and readers) but the Magellans had trouble with them until they patched it up in the recent firmware.

3.12...can't see the card...is that card a SanDisk? If so, you may find that updating your firmware to 5.x will let your GPS use the card. SanDisk changed their specs slightly which made them usable in many things (e.g. cameras, PDAs, and readers) but the Magellans had trouble with them until they patched it up in the recent firmware.

Hey gang...

It is a 128MB SanDisk. I uploaded the new software (5.12) and now it all works! Thanks for all of the help!!!! It was VERY appreciated!!!!