Hanging On To Travel Bugs

I'd have to agree with The 5...

Unless, of course, you've read up on the bug and noticed that it belongs to someone else (other than the cacher taking it from cache to cache) and has different goals than visiting every cache along some predetermined route.

We have a bug 'locally' that's goal is to visit every cache in a certain town. Some of us have just taken it with us when we're caching in that town (from cache to cache to cache). Eventually it gets dropped off somewhere within the town so hopefully, someone else will do the same.

-=-

michelle

I did it once to a local as a friendly gesture and ...well...an opportunity to get her goat after she had insulted me a few times. Took her brand new geocoin out of the cache she just placed and logged it in and out of several other caches before depositing it again in a cache about 8 miles away from its original location.

She actually wrote me to thank me for doing it, too. Ain't that sweet? :D

Bret

I've seen it done and if it were my TB, I would't care as long as it moves (unlike this one which has disappeared :D:D and the holder refuses to respond to my e-mails :blink::D:D

If there was ever a reason to get your account suspended, this would be it.

When you take a TB and then don't move it and don't respond to emails from the owner, your account should be set to log out automatically (cookies or not) and every time you log in, the screen should click over to a screen reminding you to move the bleeping TB and then reclassify you as a tadpole until the stupid TB gets moved.

:D

The other people that have a lesser ring in hell are the annonymous TB movers who take TB's and move them (often a long way) drop them in a cache and then "forget" to log the thing. So your TB shows up in some other cache and you have no way of knowing how it got there.

:unsure:

I've seen it done and if it were my TB, I would't care as long as it moves (unlike this one which has disappeared :):D and the holder refuses to respond to my e-mails :D:):)

That is one of the coolest bugs. I have had a watch on it for over 6 months.

Now, shouldn't this thread be in the whining and unrealistic expectation forum? You know...The TB forum.

Sn :D:) gans

I launched my bug on my birthday in my cache with a specific goal. Get to this cache and back to mine in a year. A cacher picked it up a week later and said they were taking it with them. It's been a couple of weeks now and they still have it. I'm going to give it a couple of days and send them an e-mail.

I've seen it done and if it

Now, shouldn't this thread be in the whining and unrealistic expectation forum? You know...The TB forum.

I have a hard time grasping the idea that a part of the game that is SO heavily advertised and prominently placed on the site would have such a persistent problem with people either not getting it or intentionally not doing it correctly. I don't think that is being unrealistic. Those french geolutin things. Yeah, they're unrealistic (the find log has got to take more time to fill out than it takes to find the bleeping thing. All you have to do is click the button on the log page. How hard is that?

I realize that GC needs to make money, but either stop selling the bugs or do something to protect your market. I got 4, and have a niece who likes them, so I have a reason to buy more. I probably won't, because the bugs get caught by players that do it wrong and then they get deep sixed. Yeah I want my 7 year old niece to get all excited about a TB only to have it go MIA after its first hide (ASH TB). That's what fun is all about!

I've seen it done and if it were my TB, I would't care as long as it moves (unlike this one which has disappeared  :D  :D and the holder refuses to respond to my e-mails  :)  :)  :D

When you take a TB and then don't move it and don't respond to emails from the owner, your account should be set to log out automatically (cookies or not) and every time you log in, the screen should click over to a screen reminding you to move the bleeping TB and then reclassify you as a tadpole until the stupid TB gets moved.

:)

The other people that have a lesser ring in hell are the annonymous TB movers who take TB's and move them (often a long way) drop them in a cache and then "forget" to log the thing. So your TB shows up in some other cache and you have no way of knowing how it got there.

:P

"Everyone plays their own game. There is no sense in trying to police another's mindset as long as it falls within the general parameters of the game." Me (quoting myself from the poll that I posted on 10/23.)

Dude. So much emotion over a THING. I don't get it.

I would prefer to invest my emotions in a puppy, or a woman, or a friend, or a child, not a THING.

Great wisdom from a master TB finder:

"It's a web of life, in my opinion, and absolutely any movement is the next step in reaching it's goal. That weird side trip to Florida, may be the next step to Canada. And a side trip may have saved it from going MIA by pilferage in Pennsylvania."

bthomas on the subject of TB movement 10/27/2003

I have 108 tbs of my own. Only one is on the street right now. A cacher had it in hand for around 6 months. I didn't care. I sent a very nice email (1) asking about it (after 3 months) and got no reply. Still, I didn't care. It turned up a few weeks ago. I was happy to see it still alive. It very well could have been crispy fried in San Diego if that person hadn't held onto it for so long. I prefer to think that I was done a favor rather than a wrong. According to bthomas' wisdom that holds true.

I have handled 163 tbs so far:

I have had great successes with tbs. (I.E. I helped Tilly & Toby 1,600+ miles and five states to win the TB Cannonball Run. They went from 17th to first with me. I took Jems Frog and Timmy the Lobster to their goals and put them in the hands of cachers that eventually got them home. I helped a 10 year old cacher move their tb, Garfield's RV, over 1600 miles. She is getting paid 5 cents per mile for that tb's movement.)

I have had great failures too. I lost (hopefully misplaced) a couple tbs. No idea where they are. I have held many for too long, but I always TRY to do right by tb owners and in many cases that involved contacting the owner. I always answer tb owners email....even the rude ones. I picked up a tb in San Francisco that wanted to go to LA. I forgot all about it when a hundred mile long traffic jam left me in Carpentaria for the night. I skipped LA the next day. I found it in the door of my car when I got back to Houston. I didn't put it with the other bugs I had because it would be getting right back off. DOH! Several of the bugs that I dropped on my trip were picked up before I could log the cache. Again, DOH!

If your preconceived notion is that everyone will obey your every tb order, then yes, your expectations are unrealistic. Teaching these expectations to a kid is setting them up for disappointment.

The whining and emotions over inanimate things and perceived wrongs is the reason that I hardly ever look in the TB Forum.

I can't stand to see this (whining and emotion over tbs) in the general forum. This thread BELONGS in the TB forum.

Sn :D:) gans

Edit: missing a t somewhere (BTW why do people do this? I don't get THAT either. :D )

Edited by Snoogans

You have put too much emotional energy into your reply. The goals I set for the 4 I have are pretty generic. I don't really expect any of them to get to the goals. I do expect that they will keep moving. The point of a TB for me is to see where they go and how long it takes to get to their stated goal (if any). To take a TB implies that you are willing to play this part of the game. Your part is to log the find and move it somewhere. Thats not hard.

I've seen it done and if it were my TB, I would't care as long as it moves (unlike this one which has disappeared  :)  :D and the holder refuses to respond to my e-mails  :D  :D  :)

Sorry guys, but I have to agree with briansnat and bigredmed on this one. Some guy named "Howie's Trappers" have had my bug Take My Wife, Please since JULY. Numerous emails, reminders on the bug page, etc. -- nothing. I've even offered to pay POSTAGE to get her back. And to pi$$ me off even more, they state on their profile page that "they never check their email." :D

Yeah, it's a "thing," but it's MY thing and we wanted to watch it move!

Have just run into a new (for us) type of cacher - one who just takes the TB with them from cache to cache - logging them into and out of a cache - find this strange - is it something that many people do?? We're fairly new to this caching and are enjoying it very much but find this behavior puzzling. Thanks for any insight.

I've been hanging on to a bug lately for a couple hundred miles, which is new to me. The poor thing broke as soon as I got ahold of it, and to make sure it'll stand up to further travel rigors, I'm toting it around for now. the owner gets a kick out of it, too.

I wish I had had the foresight to get a personal TB or geocoin to see how many miles I've logged over the past year!