What Gps Units Are People Using?

Welcome to the sport! B)

I spent my first 5 months caching using an Etrex Yellow before upgrading to an Etrex Vista. I also have a Navman Co-pilot II sleeve which I use with my PDA & Tom Tom software for in-car navigation (it can be used out of the car as well but I don't bother).

Good maps are also important to the sport and I use the excellent Memory Map software which displays the OS 1:50000 maps (1:25000 in certain areas) and also aerial photos of Britain. You can download from GeocachingUK a file containing all the British caches which you can then import into the mapping software. The software can also model in 3D so you can get a much better idea of the terrain of your route to the cache!

Having mentioned those gadgets & software please note that I found my first 350 or so caches using the Etrex Yellow & paper maps & navigating myself in the car so you can easily get by without them!! :D

Enjoy your Geko and good luck on finding your first 100 caches! B)

Cheers!

Seasider

Firstly let me say congratulations on your first find, and welcome to geocaching :D . When the bug hits I'm sure you'll be as crazy as the rest of us mad fools B) . Secondly many people have different ideas about what unit is best. It really depends on what you want to use it for. Personally, I use a Garmin GPSV which I find fantastic. It has downloadable road maps and my wife and I use it almost daily for driving. It very rarely loses signals under trees, and when it does it can be very frustrating. Hope you enjoy this game of ours and hope you have many more fruitful searches.

Hi Cheesy,

Welcome to the sport/game - I hope your first cache was enjoying to do.

I am sure your Geko will be fine for caching. The more cmplex (expensive) units just give extra features such as mapping etc.

Just for the record I use a Garmin GPS V which is excellent.

Andy.

Hiya, using a Geko 201 here. Pretty much the same as your Geko 101 but mine can connect to the computer for downloading waypoints & uploading/downloading tracklogs. You will have no problem with a 101, I've found a Geko perfect for geocaching; the only problem is if you care that most people think you're walking along sending SMSes on your mobile phone! Enjoy geocaching, it's a great sport with great people involved.

Welcome to the sport! :D

I spent my first 5 months caching using an Etrex Yellow before upgrading to an Etrex Vista. I also have a Navman Co-pilot II sleeve which I use with my PDA & Tom Tom software for in-car navigation (it can be used out of the car as well but I don't bother).

Good maps are also important to the sport and I use the excellent Memory Map software which displays the OS 1:50000 maps (1:25000 in certain areas) and also aerial photos of Britain. You can download from GeocachingUK a file containing all the British caches which you can then import into the mapping software. The software can also model in 3D so you can get a much better idea of the terrain of your route to the cache!

Having mentioned those gadgets & software please note that I found my first 350 or so caches using the Etrex Yellow & paper maps & navigating myself in the car so you can easily get by without them!! B)

Enjoy your Geko and good luck on finding your first 100 caches! B)

Cheers!

Seasider

Tish tosh, all you need is the arrow on your GPS B):D Garmin vista for me but the Yellow etrex was just as good at finding caches whilst I was using it.

I use a Garmin iQue 3600 to navigate in my car, a Garmin Etrex Legend to get from the car to the cache and I use a Garmin GPS III as 'backup'. I also use the GPS III for obtaining the co-ordinates when setting a cache as I can just leave it 'averaging' for a few minutes. So far no-ones ever complained that my co-ords are adrift :D

For a long time (about 200 caches) we used an eMap and base eTrex but recently bought a Sportrak Colour and GPSmart (Bluetooth for iPaq/TomTom).

The Sportrak has an amazing satellite lock / performance but I'd share MarcB's views about batteries and go further that the user interface isn't as good as the Garmin models.

We use an etrex summit & a GPSV so that we can argue which direction the cache is in :blink: We also have a a "spare" yellow etrex which comes in handy for those times when the GPSV has decided to hide (I think it is in league with my car keys :unsure: ).

For getting to the parking we have a streepilotIII which is a big beastie & I wouldn't try using it to find a cache in the forest.

If I had to pick one to take into the woods with me it would be the summit as an elctronic compas is usefull & you can hang it round your neck & not worry about it to much. If I had to pick one for everything then it would be the GPSV which will route you to the parking & then to the cache in one package.

On top of that we use a palm to hold the cache details & memory map for plotting caches on OS maps and combining them into routes.

Chris

Started off with a yellow eTrex and then upgraded to a Vista. To get to car parks etc, I attach the Vista to an iPAQ PDA - with downloaded MemoryMap maps.

Bought a Magellan 137 last year on the spur of the moment (for some reason best known to myself at the time), but don't use it very often. (Anyone want to do a swopsey for any eTrex??)

All in all a yellow eTrex does the job for caching............wish I'd kept my old one. :lol:

I bought a yellow Etrex today (my first day of caching!) and used it to find me second cache, after doing the first with just an OS map ;) I found it took a little while to settle down after first turning it on but seemed to do the job well. We found the location of the cache with nothing but the GPS from about 30 miles away. In the car it worked very well and I found it gave a direction pretty accurately if you were walking briskly but got a little hit and miss if stationary. There was tree cover at the site and it's accuracy went down to about 25ft but it still managed to take us there by walking round and round untill we homed in on the spot :P

Overall it seems to be good value for the money and I'm sure we'll be sticking with it for a while yet. Some maps would be good but I can't see me carrying my laptop around the countryside so I think I'm going to have to purchase some smaller :D

Like Chris & Maria, we use a SP3 in the car and a eTrex Vista for biking & walking.

The SP3 is brilliant. We have now used it to drive blindly into deepest London several times. Apart from missing a few "get-into-the-correct-lane" bits, it is glorious to charge on in without a care about finding your way through - just follow the box. If you get it wrong, it re-routes you again and does not get ratty! We wouldn't have dared venture in there without it.

On our last Christmas dash into the Smoke to pick up the daughter, we drove via a destination in Chigwell to collect a rather large eBay win - again, the marvellous box took us to the door and then into the City on uncharted (for us) roads.

We started with a Yellow eTrex and went up the chain to the Vista. It's the 24 mb of memory for the hi-res maps that makes this the best choice. Very natty on the handlebars of the bike too for our long rides to family and caches - in the summer we hasten to add.

Magellan Sportrak Pro which is excellent but I agree with the comments about access to the battery compartment using a screw, in fact I stripped the thread on mine and had to send it back for repair. As I couldn't bear to stop caching while it was being repaired I bought a cheap eTrex yellow from ebay.

When my daughter comes along we use both GPSs. The eTrex is always slower getting a fix and frequently loses it under tree cover when the Sportrak does not. On the other hand the eTrex was less that half the price of the eTrex.

Hi all new to Geocaching... still waiting for my GPs to arrive but what to do some ground work... I have memory map, and thought I could start to plan some finds...

Seasider, I have looked on the site but can't find the file... can you post a link to it please...

cheers

NickP

Hi Cheesy Nacho,

Welcome to Geocaching. If your GPS gets you to the cache then there's nothing wrong with the type you have! I have a couple of Garmin III+ backed up by Mapsource on the laptop. I do all the plotting on the laptop and download to both GPS units. One unit goes in the vehicle (dashboard mount in the car, handlebar mount on the motorbike), this gets me to the cache location. I then use the second unit to walk to the cache (saves having to keep taking the vehicle mounted unit out off it's clamp).

When I get home I can then upload the resultant tracklogs into the laptop and save as a file to one day recall when I need to entertain my grandchildren!

Good luck caching.

Regards Paul