Are You A Subaru Fanatic+cacher?

KiltCacher

Whenever I'm browsing posts, I inevitably come across someone mention their vehicle of choice (jeep, toyota, etc.) and then the next dozen posts are somewhat to the effect of "you have a **** too?" , "****'s rock!", "hey, check out my ****" , and " dude, ****'s rule!"

Well, this is for all the Subaru fans out there. Let's hear an amazing story of your Subaru and what makes it your caching vehicle of choice.

...and one more thing. Subaru's RULE! :D

Well, I just heard about Geocaching last week so I don't have any stories about Caching (yet). I don't even have a GPS Yet ( still researching on what machine to buy!) but when I do It'll be in my Subaru!!! Maybe I'll start one around here in the snow so you'll need a Subaru to get to it :D Allready I've been thinking on a few places to hide a cach (living in the Mts here, there's tons of good places!!!) Like maybe near this lake in the picture.

(You bet Subaru Rules!!!) B)

fa3c3124.jpg

Another very, very happy Subaru Outback owner here. Here in FL I don't have many opportunities to drive my Outback into situations that would result in an "amazing story". However, I am a fanatic and this car has taken me on trails that would have chewed up a regular car.

I do have one question for Outback owner's in particular. Anyone have their GPS mounted in an Outback? I'm thinking of buying a suction-type mount for my GPS and mounting it in the corner of the window, near the steering wheel.

I love our `99 Subaru Forester. It is a fantastic car. I've taken it deep woods for camping before I discovered geocaching and have had no problems with it save the motor seals gave out and was covered under warranty. (whew!)

I consider it a very safe and capable car, but, the clearance is such when it is fully loaded the ground clearance is too low for my personal offroad needs. So that is now my wife's car while I drive a `94 Jeep GC Laredo.

In the Northwest, look for a white Grand Cherokee with the Taz Devil on the tailgate.

I love the size and shape of my '98 Forester, but have had constant trouble with the rear wheel bearings. I believe I'm owed another set by recall, but it will never happen. The last time the shop assured me they used the "heavy duty Liberty bearings" They were roaring in the same 40K as the last ones.

With all that, I'll buy another one this summer. The AWD makes me feel like I'm glued to the road.

Subaroooooo!

G

My very first car was a 1973 Subaru coupe. Not all-wheel drive but one of the first front-wheel drive cars at that time. It had decent traction in snow. It had a manual choke, carburetor, points, condensor, etc. It was very simple to work on and I learned a lot about cars then. My next car was a 1980 Subaru all-wheel drive wagon. It was underpowered but it could go anywhere that wasn't too rocky or steep. I drove it halfway down Baja once. I sold it it in 1988 and have been driving economy sedans since then because of the long miles that I commute. When my wife and I got engaged in 1990, we bought a 1990 4-Runner. I'm sold on Toyotas. We just traded the 4-Runner in for a Sienna van, which is nice but not exactly suited for rough roads, but it hauls a lot of gear, is super comfortable, and has a killer sound system. I drive a 1989 Corolla to work that just keeps going and still looks and runs great even after 175,000 miles. I'll be looking at a Subaru WRX or Legacy or maybe a Toyota Matrix AWD if the Corolla ever shows signs of quiting. I'd like to find another decent used 4-Runner just to keep on the driveway for the rough stuff.

edit: whoops, wrong year

Edited by astheravenflies

I'm a relatively new owner of a Subaru Outback - 2 years and 36K miles (oops, warranty just ran out). So far, I love it. Pictures of parts of it have been posted for the Ward Burton #22 TB (gave the car points in its race with other TBs).

The New York Times had an article on Tuesday, January 13th about Subaru's redesign of the Outbacks so that they qualify as 'light trucks' instead of cars to avoid the emission requirements. The main changes are a higher clearance and higher bumpers. This brings up a lot of controversy concerning how companies comply with federal emission standards.