Geocache Map Enhancements Needed

Do-Man

1) On the map page. Click the Identify radiobutton. Click the map again. The page redisplays with the caches numbered and listed below. Thats all great but next to the list caches below need check box to request download waypoints to all. You have this feature on other pages when filter but why not here?

2) Contact page. Many links just don't work. Look at the forum links.

3) When downloading waypoints why in the world does it always default to geocaching.loc. Stop that and default to the name of the cache. Or give me some preferrence in how this should work.

Overall site is good but just believe this could make it better.

Keep up the good work.

1) On the map page. Click the Identify radiobutton. Click the map again. The page redisplays with the caches numbered and listed below. Thats all great but next to the list caches below need check box to request download waypoints to all. You have this feature on other pages when filter but why not here?

Good Idea.

If each cache had a download checkbox (like they do on the search results page) this would let people get caches along a route. Sure it would still be work to scroll the map along the route and check/download what they want, but it would be a lot easier than what some people go through now.

3) When downloading waypoints why in the world does it always default to geocaching.loc.  Stop that and default to the name of the cache.  Or give me some preferrence in how this should work.

When saving the .loc file you can rename it in the file save dialog.

B) Yes but thats a pain in the butt ... I download 5-10 location files at a time. I am not using a wireless connection so from my home PC I have to save the waypoint name 5-10 times? I have to import those 5-10 .loc files seprately into EasyGPS and then import again those 5-10 waypoints in to my GPS. Please too much!

However now I am actually doing the renaming of the .loc file everytime... I save them to a distinct directory. I wrote a VB program to take all the .loc files (XML) and combine them into one WayPointUnite.loc file. Now I just start EasyGPS once and import once the waypoints into my GPS. Really cool and saves me lots of time.

I really need to figure out how to scrape those html waypoint pages and import the important information into my PDA then I would not have to print all those pages... See I really want to go cache hunting not work on my PC since I do that for a living...

I will now step down from my soap box...

I really need to figure out how to scrape those html waypoint pages and import the important information into my PDA

Careful there. Several people have had their IP address blocked for scraping.

You should really look into becoming a Premium Member and getting Pocket Queries. Its a measly $3 a month. I'll bet you spend more than that on trade items B)

In the meantime, why just get one cache per LOC file? If you download the LOC file from the search results page, you can get up to 20 caches in one LOC file!

I looked at the demo (reader) for the pocket queries and could never get it to work on my PC. Would never read the pocket file I believe. Well maybe go try the demo again. So you folks like the pocket queries and it does the GPS download? Well I might be interested in that!

I really need to figure out how to scrape those html waypoint pages and import the important information into my PDA then I would not have to print all those pages... See I really want to go cache hunting not work on my PC since I do that for a living...

You should definately get the pocket queries then. You'll need the GPX files not the LOC files if you plan to use them with most of the programs. That may be where you were running into problems. Easy GPS will open your GPX files as well.

PDA is the way to go. I hated printing pages and would rather go hunt without pages than to have to print them. Now that I have a PDA, I'm in cache Nirvana.

You can you Watcher to view offline and filter your cache pages before running them through GPX Spinner. You can use GPX spinner along with Plucker which is slow and can be time consuming. Due to Plucker and not Spinner I might add. Plucker is a great app but it can be slow if you have a lot of pages to scrape. Spinner makes the HTML files and Plucker scrapes them for putting on your PDA.

Or you can use Cache Mate which will download the GPX files right into your PDA for viewing AND logging which is something Plucker can't do for you. Of course it won't log online but you can store notes from your day and upload them to the notepad for later logging.

Personally Open up Cache Mate and put the entire GPX file on my PDA (just in case). I then open Watcher and filter the cache list for the trip, then spin them to rename the waypoints to my taste. I then use Easy GPS to put the Spinner.GPX file in my GPS. All in all I can be loaded and ready to go in 5 minutes if I have the right GPX file ready to go on my hard drive. Periodically I will update my Plucker file just in case I want to see what bugs are near or look at the distance pages but find I am using it less and less since Cache Mate is on hand.