Residential Caches

clearpath

I just finished looking for a cache in a residential neighborhood. I had to wander around someones front yard looking for the cache. I have done this before and have always felt like I was invading someones privacy by snooping around their yard. I am considering not even attempting to look for caches that seem to be hidden under someones flower pot, under the front porch or placed under their trash cans. Does this bother anyone else or is a cache a cache?

Oh yeah, I didn't find this cache because a neighbor saw me snooping around their home and told me the cache owner had removed it. :tongue:

edit: changed wording

Edited by clearpath
Oh yeah, I didn't find this cache because a neighbor saw me snooping around their home and told me the cache owner had removed it. :tongue:

It was hidden at the neighbor's house?? :)

I don't know, for me it would depend on who/where. Ive done two that some could be watching, but they were not actually 'by' the house. But I do know in both cases the caches brought me to places I would not have gone otherwise, which is nice I think :) .

I've done a few and I always feel like I'm being watched. Since I normally cache in a group I run interference and knock on the door. That way the person sitting on their butt laughing at everyone looking has to answer the door. While I'm introduing myself and being a nuisance at 7am on an idle sunday morning the rest of the team finds the cache sneaks in a log and makes it to the door in time to finish the introductions.

A local cacher here did one in his front yard. He posted it on the site with the instructions not to do it after dark. I should say that he also runs his business out of his home. It hasn't been a problem here most people get a kick out of it. He made it a multi to boot.

There is one near me that I tried to go get the other day. I ended up in a cul de sac with houses all around and the cache was 30 feet away. I just didn't feel comfortable about walking in between houses and snooping around so I left.

If the cache owner planted one on their own property and mentioned it on the cache page, I wouldn't have a problem then. I think it would be fun to own the cache and watch people coming onto your property to find it.

It was hidden at the neighbor's house?? :tongue:

No, this house has two levels. I guess the cache owner lived in the 'upstairs' and the neighbor lived in the 'downstairs'. Plus the other houses are so close, they share a driveway. It was a very crowded place to have a cache (ammo box according to the description).

I wouldn't do it. I just don't feel good about being around someones home.

And there are those caches in parks that are up against peoples back yard fences. You get the barking dogs and people asking what you are up to.

When placing, I try to consider how I would feel if it was my back yard.

Front yard?!? Absolutely not! I did a cache that ended up being in a cul-de-sac lot that was clearly a public easement (there was a transformer there or something). That was too close for my comfort. I actually walked it down to a woodpile that was right on the property line (as best I could judge) then left and email the owner to see if I was right (it was part of a puzzle and was afraid my math was off). Sure enough, it was in that woodpile. I ended up missing out on the trade I wanted (new cache with a sig item in it) but I felt better about it.

It isn't just that I don't want to deal with cops being called because of my suspicious behavior (a big part of it), I don't even like creating a false alarm. I expect others to know what behavior is acceptable so I do the same.

And then there is the bit about being watched. Now, I know a lot of people have little choice regarding "urban" caches. Some may enjoy a bit of cloak-and-dagger feeling of acting a part or something. I would rather not be seen and just carry out looking for the cache. That way I don't worry about jeopardizing it. How long is a cache in a neighborhood going to last unless the neighbors are in on it?

I thought of doing a "recylcling" themed or seed cache by putting ammo boxes and other containers in a new garbage can in the alley behind a friends house or a business(only with permission by the owner of course), but didn't feel I had any friends that would be comfortable with strangers coming to the back of their property. The only friend that i had with a business had the perfect spot but alas he is out of business now. Good Idea no place to do it right.Will put it on the back burner for now

I have done them, but don't like them. There was one that was placed on an electrical box in a back alley behind a well known cacher’s home. I really felt like a criminal (and I don't mean Criminal the cacher) looking around behind peoples homes.

After I did the cache and I found out that it was behind this cacher’s house, it was actually pretty funny. I talked to him and he said he woke up, saw there was a new cache, plugged the coords into his GPS and was shocked that it was only a few feet away from where he was sitting.

RM

I have done them, but don't like them. There was one that was placed on an electrical box in a back alley behind a well known cacher’s home. I really felt like a criminal (and I don't mean Criminal the cacher) looking around behind peoples homes.

After I did the cache and I found out that it was behind this cacher’s house, it was actually pretty funny. I talked to him and he said he woke up, saw there was a new cache, plugged the coords into his GPS and was shocked that it was only a few feet away from where he was sitting.

RM

LOL now thats funny!!

I have done them, but don't like them. There was one that was placed on an electrical box in a back alley behind a well known cacher?s home. I really felt like a criminal (and I don't mean Criminal the cacher) looking around behind peoples homes.

After I did the cache and I found out that it was behind this cacher?s house, it was actually pretty funny. I talked to him and he said he woke up, saw there was a new cache, plugged the coords into his GPS and was shocked that it was only a few feet away from where he was sitting.

RM

I think we found that cache on our last trip to San Diego. I was looking through the guy's front yard because I didn't think the townhomes were that small. It felt real wierd to be looking around their front steps when I could hear the vacuum inside! We drove around back and found it right away. Had to hide from the gardeners though.

i have been thinking of putting a cache in a stone wishing well in my front yard. none of the neighbors are that close. it will be a 5 gallon bucket and the only items in it will be mctoys. not to trade, just to leave so we can remove this blight from our sport. when it is full i will throw them out. would you do this one?

i have been thinking of putting a cache in a stone wishing well in my front yard. none of the neighbors are that close. it will be a 5 gallon bucket and the only items in it will be mctoys. not to trade, just to leave so we can remove this blight from our sport. when it is full i will throw them out. would you do this one?

only if it was stated on the cache page that it was there with the owners permission. I respect small private land owners too much otherwise.

I don't think I would hunt for a cache in neighborhood if I determined that the cache was on private property, even if it was the cache owner's property. I've hunted for a few in neighborhood areas, but they've been in parks or "greenways". I get very paranoid of neighbors or home-owners watching me prowling through an area, so I wouldn't go hunting for a cache in someone's yard.

Kind of on this line I have a friend who is a surveyor. I was thinking about placing a marker at the end of the driveway and having him use his differential GPS system to give it very accurate coordinates. The idea was to psot the coordinates to the local geocaching group so they could check thier GPS accuracy. Maybe it would be better at a local park? :D

Edit:No such word.

Edited by rusty_tlc
it would be stated in the cache description that is in my front yard. i live somewhat out in the country so neighbors aren't a problem. it would actually be a joke cache for people to drop off mctoys (mostly used ones), to keep them out of other caches.

If I were in your area, I might do that one. But generally speaking I will not search for a cache in anyone's yard.

I might under the following condx:

1- owner states on cache page it is HIS (HER) yard

2- no other houses within 200' of the coords

3- good clue so I would not need to "turn over every stone"

4- if within sight of neighbors, cache page says neighbors are aware

I still wouold feel kinda "trespassy"

I would be very paranoid about whether I had the right house. Perhaps I would feel better still if the cache page gave the house number and it is clearly posted at the property.

In general, i don't think caches on private property, especially residential, are a good idea- unless it is property normally open to the public such as a parking lot or a business property.

i was actually going to tell people exactly where the cache is. it would probably be one of the easiest caches ever. the whole idea is to give people a place to bring all the stupid mctoys that are in caches. people are always complaining about them in the forums. it is more of a joke thing. i guess if you wanted to trade you could, but why. if i see one more dog drooled, baby chewed toy in a cache i just might start listening to the voices in my head. there won't be any stealth involved. heck, if i am mowing the lawn, stop by and say howdy.

I did a private property "multi" a few days ago. The first leg was a virtual at the front of the business (a sports bar). Count the windows, how many letters on such and such a sign, etc. and plug in the number for the next coords. They took me to the back of the business where to my embarassment there was a middle age couple in an SUV who were.... uh... sucking face. :D This was in broad daylight and the kids were along for this cache. B) Well, at least the parking lot in the rear was large enough that I could drive right to the cache site and away from the amorous two. Oh yeah, the cache was located in a burnt up rubbermaid garbage can amongst other garbage located in the back of this property near a wooded area. At least they could have hid this in the wooded area and not amongst their garbage. The cache page stated that it was placed with the property owner's permission, but I think it may have been placed for the amusement of the patrons. B) TNLNSL Won't be back!

I've done 2 on private property. One wasn't bad. It was in a rural area and only about 30 feet from the intersection of 2 county roads and clearly identified as being on the owner's property. Didn't have me skulking around houses or crossing fences lines, etc. Pretty clear that I wasn't wandering along the edge of more than one person's land too.

The second one was also in a rural area. The description also included text describing how to get to the best parking that I couldn't quite match to the physical location, but it was kinda close so I thought it might just be the difference in perceptions and someone who isn't very good at estimating distances (200 ft. vs. 500 ft.). I hunted and hunted... finally decrypted the clue. The cache was supposed to be in plain sight near a large fallen tree. Well, the coords and my GPS put me within 30-35 feet of a large fallen tree, but no ammo box was to be found. I e-mailed the owner once I got back home. Described my approach, gave county road numbers and directions turned, described houses along the way and the spot I parked. Described woods and proximity to a nearby fence dividing woods from pasture. Described tree and my search around it. Owner still didn't catch on. Said sounded like I was in right spot and theire coords had been checked with 2 GPS units. The property was the cache owner's father's land, and he had just left the country for a few weeks. I told them to let me know if they decided to check up on it, but that I wouldn't return and possibly be wandering all over someone else's property... trespassing... to hunt the cache without some verification. Several weeks later, "Dad" got home and took his nifty commercial GPS from the fire department out and checked the coords. New coords were posted. They were 1/2 a mile from the originals!! Not EVEN off of the same county road I'd parked along! And not just a simple transposition of numbers as far as I could see. That stopped me hunting stuff on private property.

Another in my state was on private property next door to a state trooper's property, hidden near the property line. There was a small misunderstanding between a cacher poking about for a cache and a trooper coming home in uniform with gun at his side wondering what this stranger was doing snooping about. It was resolved with minimal conflict, considering, but still, not a good picture of geocaching.

If you're going to place on private property, make it as hard as possible to get on someone else's place while hunting. Remember that you never know how someone will approach the cache site, what tools they do or don't use, or how much experience they have. It wouldn't be worth an unpleasant result, so try to insure that none of you gets one!

I don't do them. Every time I look at the cache page I think: "I know I have permission to be where the cache is, but how will I know I'm in the right yard? What if I'm in someone else's yard entirely?"

Sometimes I wish for a "parking reserved for geocachers" sign. Then I'd feel a lot more comfortable.

Also some of the other logs I've read really makes me worry about residential caches. "Climbed the fence from the road before we found the path and realized there was an easier way in to the west." leaps to mind.

Edited by bons
I don't do them. Every time I look at the cache page I think: "I know I have permission to be where the cache is, but how will I know I'm in the right yard? What if I'm in someone else's yard entirely?"

exactly what i think when i have done a few. I personally don't like them unless the cache is out in the country and yards are very large. I am always worried that on of the non-geocaching neighbors will think there are prowlers and send someone to investigate.

Edited by *gln

I have a large one on my front porch. Those that have mustered up the curiosity to actually do it have liked it. It's one of those "come in, sit a spell, kick your shoes off" kind-of caches.

Numerous times we've sat on our front porch and seen some drive-by with GPSr in hand doing the head jerk with "no way" look on their face. Can't help but laugh!

All in all it's been a good experience. The kids just luv it, and we've met a couple of really nice cachers that we might not have otherwise.

I've done a couple of residential property caches and they made me nervous too.

I've considered doing one. Of course the cache page will mention either that it's my house or just "permission granted"......figure i'll stick a gc.com static sticker or an 'official geocache' sticker in the big window that faces the street. A bit of assurance to those who are curious that they're in the right area, if they are observant enough.

We did one during our last visit in Spokane that worked out pretty well. There was plenty of public parking on the street, and the owner had placed a sign with the geocaching.com logo on it, noting we had found a caching-friendly property.

The only thing I would have liked, since the sign was on the fence between proerties, was an arrow pointing to which driveway we should have felt comfortable wandering down.

They aren't my favorite type of cache, but I think they can be a lot of fun if done well.

Quills mentioned my multi-cache earlier in this thread but not by name. This cache is called the MMMM Good Cache and you can find it here...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=80824

This one's in my front yard which is also my business. That make's it easy to find the correct property because my nickname is on the sign next to the road. I mentioned on the cache page not to try this one at night so the neighbors won't get spooked. Haven't heard a negative comment yet and all seemed to enjoy it, especially the kids. And yes... this may be the smallest multi-cache you'll ever see!

I've found a cache that the cache owner placed in his own yard. I thought that was okay. He drove off as I arrived so we didn't have a chance to talk about it.

There was another cache I went for that was in a public area but right against someone's fence. He got into his car and drove all the way around the streets to the park to ask me what I was doing. I thought boy, it would be annoying if he had to do that for every cacher who visited the cache the day after it was placed.

My first cache was a multi cache that used the house numbers on a private residence.

The theme of the cache was an abandoned railroad line and the people who built it. It started in a cemetery at the graves of a family who came from Italy and worked on it, went to the freight house of the railroad that the grandfather (section foreman) had purchased and made into a home for his family (granddaughter still lives there), then used the house number for the coords for the cache.

I talked to the family in the development of the cache and information about it, and it was okay with them to have "drive-by" cachers :) . It was alot of work, but I'm really proud of it.