Twin Mountain Lion Attack In Park

RocketMan

I thought that this story deserved its own thread so I am starting one. There was a mention of this incident buried in this thread.

Here is an excerpt of an article in the San Diego Union Tribune:

In this case, a lion apparently attacked the two mountain bikers.

Investigators said mountain biker Mark Jeffrey Reynolds, 35, a Foothills Ranch account executive for a sports management firm in Anaheim, was probably bent over fixing his bike's broken chain when a 2-year-old, 110-pound male mountain lion attacked and killed him at about noon Thursday. The attack happened in the southeast corner of Whiting Ranch, north of Portola Hills and west of Santiago Canyon Road.

Reynolds died from "the removal of organs in his chest and abdomen cavity by a predator, in this case, a mountain lion," said Jim Amormino of the Orange County Sheriff-Coroner Department, quoting autopsy results made public yesterday.

"The investigation indicates his bike broke down," Amormino said. "The chain fell off and while he was fixing the bike, the lion attacked him."

Reynolds' mother, Dona Reynolds, told The Associated Press that her son raced mountain bikes and had won competitions in his age group. She also said he had arranged for free bikes as gifts for children at Christmas. "Mark Reynolds was doing what he loved the most, and that was riding his bicycle," she said.

Investigators said they think that after the lion killed Reynolds, it dragged the body off the trail and partially covered it, which is normal lion behavior.

Then, at about 4:30 p.m., Anne Hjelle was bicycling along the same trail when she was attacked by a lion. Debbie Nichols was nearby and saw the animal jump on Hjelle's back, knock her off her bike, grab her by the head and start to drag her away.

Nichols chased the lion for about 100 yards and got hold of Hjelle's legs, kicking the lion and screaming. The animal didn't release Hjelle, 30, until a group of mountain bikers began throwing rocks at it. One of the rocks reportedly hit the lion in the head and it ran off, leaving Hjelle bloody and near death.

The entire article can be found here.

I am always concerned about this, particularly when I am hiking along. The experts advise that you should stand your ground, make yourself look big (wave your arms in the air) and make noise if you encounter a mountain lion. I would think that someone riding a mountain bike would look big. I am shocked that a lion would be bold enough to drag someone off a bike. Where does that leave me when I am hiking down the trail by myself?

Rocket Man

I actually live about a quarter of a mile away from where these people were attacked.

I have ridden my mtn bike down the same hill and had my chain come off countless times in the same spot.

I have only seen one cougar in the past and it followed me curiously but left

me alone.

On Tuesday night I went up in the dark to a couple of nearby caches in the woods.

Now I am alot more freaked out.

Here's the scary thought.

Mark Reynolds was about my size and build, and he evidently didn't stand a chance

against the cougar.

The lady going down the hill Anne, was jumped on from behind, and then her friend wasn't enough to get the thing to let her go.

I am betting no-one saw it coming. So I seriously doubt that there was a chance to fight back at all.

There are several things to do in a cougar attack should it happen, but the best advice is to travel in groups when you are in areas with these inherent dangers.

Never run from them, make eye contact, shout and throw sticks or rocks , and NEVER bend over.

If they do attack you, FIGHT back. Use sticks or rocks or your bare hands.

They don't like things fighting back.

I have spent the last year running around in the hills by my home with my 5 year old son.

No more of that. Between rattlesnakes, and other dangers, I won't even go alone anymore.

It's just too risky.

I suspect that all of the wildfires here in SoCal have displaced hundreds if not thousands of animals, and the cougars are simply following the food supply.

I feel like I am blubbering a bit, but man, I am freaked out.

I live by the foothills (denver) and I like to run and mtn bike, usually alone in these hills on the trails. Several times we have had incidents of mtn lions stalking people, sometimes for a while.

Last spring this happened and I decided not to go running alone on these trails.

When you are running you are huffing and puffing and looking down at the ground and quite unawares if a lion were to be nearby.

Whiel hiking the level of exertion and speed are such that you are more aware of your surroundings. I would feel better about hiking than about running.

I had though that mtn biking I would be too large (on the bike) and too fast, well, on the downhill at least. Not as threatened.

Now this incident, and she was riding WITH other bikers. Kind of scary.

Seems like some kevlar armor might be a good idea for running and mtn biking and perhaps some vests could be made of this and offered for sale. Now there is a niche product.

Might be good to wear a helmet when geocaching in thse areas, even when walking.

Seems like some kevlar armor might be a good idea for running and mtn biking and perhaps some vests could be made of this and offered for sale. Now there is a niche product.

Might be good to wear a helmet when geocaching in thse areas, even when walking.

The "kevlar armor" won't do much for you if the mountain lion grabs your head like it did to the girl on the bike and I suspect that a mountain lion would easily rip through a standard bike helmet. I am thinking a handgun might be the best defense. RM

I am thinking a handgun might be the best defense.

Only if you get a chance to use it before the attack. Now maybe if you coated your helmet with a really hot sauce the cat would take off once he/she got a taste of that. :tongue:

I don't know how different mountain lions are from house cats, but I'm sure the speed of the bicyclist could be an attraction to them. In a physical encounter, I'd try to hit the nose. The advice to stand ground also sounds good. Stare at it as much as possible - just watch out in case another is getting set to attack.

snip....just watch out in case another is getting set to attack.

I have never seen a Mtn Lion in the wild but I thought they where solitary predators?

People over estimate the usefulness of a hand gun. As pointed out, you need the time to use it. Besides, they make an unsightly bulge in my spandex riding shorts. :tongue:

On a positive note, Ohio just passed a concealed to carry law. Woohoo! About time!

its amazing to think something I've only seen in pictures (and not that incredibly huge) could so so much damage. And to think that it was a young mountain lion too. If it attacked two people (posibly the same one) I wonder why it could have been so defensive?

It would be very difficult to protect yourself when riding a bike and have a 110 lbs 'cat' jump on your back. The chances are real good that you'll lose control of the bike. While you are losing control, the only thing this 'cat' is thinking about is how to disable you quickly. This 'cat' probably had a death grip on that biker before she hit the ground. The female biker was lucky someone had the courage to fight for her.

My guess would be they are moving faster or were moving fast when the lion saw them and that triggered the predator/pray instinct which caused an attack or stalking.

I think I recall some speculation that biker #1 may have been there for some time --- dead from something other than the cat. The cat stumbled opon the body, and when biker #2 passed by, the cat attacked while guarding it's food. <shrug>

Cougars are territorial. Usually the problem ones are young males run off from where they were born by their mother so she can haveenoufg food for her offspring. Or older ones that are no match to defend their turf from those in their prime.

Population density and more people going into their habitat account for the rise in sightings.

Cougars quite often go for the neck when attacking prey much like lions and tigers.

its amazing to think something I've only seen in pictures (and not that incredibly huge) could so so much damage. And to think that it was a young mountain lion too. If it attacked two people (posibly the same one) I wonder why it could have been so defensive?

Lets see now. I could go on a big rant right about here but I will back off a touch.

A couple points and I will back out.

Around here where I live work and hunt, Cougars hunt ELK for food, 600 pounds and Mule Deer around 150 pounds. And even livestock.

I would think Blacktail Deer and some(?) Mule Deer(?) for the region in discussion. Around something like 100-125 pounds.

A person on a bike something like 125-175 pounds.

And damage? These critters back FIVE razer sharp Switchblades on each paw. And they are designed to use them in getting the goods to eat.

As for being defensive. When? Getting something to eat comes natural and if they have not been conditioned to fear man or livestock, a young cat will get what it can when it can where it can.

There seem to more of these attacks every year. I wonder how the annual number of cougar and bear attacks compare?

Just check the numbers pre dog ban verses now.

I had better stop about now before things get hot.

logscaler.

I couldn't help but comment on this issue. Although my heart goes out to the victims and their families, I must share this interesting note.

I first read this in the local newspaper this morning. On one page, it mentioned that 'Only 5 people killed by lions in California in the past century'. On the same page was this note: 'Oregon incurs 75 self-inflicted deaths by youths each year'.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I thought of this rant but opted against it. Many probably don't know of the ban on using dogs to hunt bear and cougars in our two states. It is funny that they are allowed to be used to hunt deer in some eastern states though.

Now we [/b]pay these hunters to do whatthey used to pay the state for the privelige to do.

Now we [/b]pay these hunters to do whatthey used to pay the state for the privelige to do.

Professional hunters are different from recreational hunters, and the pros have always been around. At least we have them to eliminate the rogue animals.

The best advice to all about something like this is to educate yourselves about the dangers, just like knowing how to behave in bear country. And try not to act like food.

I have read of various encounters with mountain lions.

Why do bicyclists attract more than their share?

I always carry my stout hiking staff. It is better than nothing and has a 5+ foot reach with a pointy metal tip.

Although i prefer that you not screw up one of my hiking staffs fighting off attacks...I will replace it free of charge if you have too! :D

El Diablo

The California Division of Fish and Game has this interesting web site about mountain lions. There's some good advice and info there.

I also looked at another web site that tracks mountain lion attacks all over the US and Canada. Since 1991, there has been one person killed and four people attacked in Colorado.

It seems to me that the chances of being attacked are very low, especially if you follow the tips listed on the CA DFG has listed on their web site. But, as we see from this post, they will attack people sometimes. So if you don't know how to protect yourself from a mountain lion, I would strongly recommend reading the web site I listed here. Be like a boy scout...be prepared! :D

Edited by Imajika

I'm not an animal expert but this is what I believe is true. The goal of a predator is to knock down and disable the prey as quickly as possible to prevent the predator from being injured by their prey. Members of the cat family are incredibly adapted as predators. Claws, teeth, strength, stealth, agility, cunning, and entirely free of remorse. Kill and eat. If you own a cat, especially one who goes outside, you will have observed these traits. Imagine these traits magnified ten orders of magnitude. There have been many cases where people have encountered cougars and have successfully scared them away. Its likely that these two victims in Orange County never knew what hit them. If they did it was already too late for them.

I carry a walking staff these days. I'm considering getting a big knife, like one of the Sog knives. I would hope that I have time to use it, if necessary. I would consider a handgun but a knife would be quicker to access. I'm not real big on guns anyway. I hike with my children and the thought of cougars stalking my kids really scares me. I'm somewhat of an environmentalist but it seems that the cougar population is healthy enough to withstand a little hunting pressure. I think a healthy fear of man would benefit them in the long run. We can share the wilderness but please Mr. Cougar, keep a healthy distance. We'll both be better off.

edit: added a missing pronoun

Edited by astheravenflies

Professional hunters are different from recreational hunters, and the pros have always been around. At least we have them to eliminate the rogue animals.

The best advice to all about something like this is to educate yourselves about the dangers, just like knowing how to behave in bear country. And try not to act like food.

Please excuse my typos but,

In the two states I was talking about the profesionals are recreational hunters that now have no way to use the dogs they bought, and no way to chase their quarry like they used to. When there started to be problems they offered their services at a price. There are no schools that teach how to train to track wild animals here, the officials just call on those who have a lot of experience in doing this.

Also it wasn't the state fish and game dept. that made this ruling not to use dogs. It was the masses in the urban cities (I don't want to make this a slam on all you good folks that live in urban areas, just stating the facts in my local area) who decided this in a statewide referundum.

BTW a similar ban on trapping referendum included mole traps and had to be revised to let people kill moles ruining ther lawns.

edit: typos

Edited by ironman114
Luckly, the mosquitoes have done more damage to me than anything else.

I financed a couple of years of collage working for vector control with the local health department. You have more to fear from the mosquitoes than a Mountain Lion.

Having said that, if CA had a predator control program that maintained predators in balance with prey, like another close by state, the problem wouldn't exist. Nuf said.

Now that sign was a hoot!

Anyone who needs to be told this stuff should not be out without their mommy.

I know of a horse ranch in South Central Oregon where they now have to put their horses in a barn guarded with Great Pyrenees. They do not go outside early or late without packing.

I know of a ranch hand who had a deer hide hanging on a rail on his carport. The next morning, he had a cougar track and no hide. He lives right next to a school, church, post office and store.

I caught a cougar cub while it was walking on a road in Idaho. I did turn it loose back into the brush away from the road.

While cache hunting close by last year, I followed fresh cat track headed into the general direction I was. I could see where it would walk around a tree and look back my way. Several times. I went and bought a nine mil the next week to pack.

But most of the time, I blame the people who develope subdivisions in deer and elk wintering areas. This forces the critters and predator's into more concentrated area's and closer to people.

Anyway, cacher's should just cache hunt with slower people. Someone you know you can outrun if need be. Oh, and up your life insurance.

logscaler.

I reccomend reading the Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook :D Pg 54 deals with Mountain Lions. It also covers lots of other topics you might face during geocaching.. Bears, quicksand, snakes, alligators, killer bees, charging bulls.. B)

For Mountain Lions it says; Don't Run (the animal already knows you're there, and running makes you seem like prey).. To make yourself look bigger (such as holding your coat open).. Do not crouch down (shout or wave your hands to show you arent defensless).. Pick up childern.. Back away slowly or wait til it leaves.. Throw stones if the lion is still being aggressive.. Fight back if you are attacked trying to hit it in the head around its eyes..

It also says that mountain lions like to leap down from above and deliver a "killing bite" to the back of the neck (breaking the neck and knocking you down). So protect your neck.. Perhaps a kevlar neck guard? B)

It also says avoid hiking at dawn or dusk.. When they are more active..

The best advice anyone can give about any situation though is to simply educate yourself about your surroundings, whatever those may be..

WELL JUST MY OPINION.

WE ARE CONTINUALLY MOVING IN AND DESTROYING HABITAT WHERE THESE ANIMALS HAVE THRIVED,ALL KINDS YOU SEE IT EVERY WHERE EVERY DAY,ENTIRE SPCIES ARE DYING,BECAUSE OF GROWTH INTO THE WILDS.

THE WHOLE THING OF CITO AND MANY OTHER THOUGHTS LIKE IT IN KEEPING OUR PLANET IN GOOD SHAPE FOR THE FUTURE IS A GRAND GOAL.

WE NEED TO TRY AND KEEP ALL THINGS TO A MINIMAL IF POSSIBLE.

WE ARE THE FUTURE GENERATION.

THE BICYCLERS MOVES MIMMIKS THAT OF A DEER IN SPEED,SOUNDS AND ACTIONS AS HAS BEEN MENTIONED,WHICH TRIGGERS THE ATTACK MODE.

I HAVE 1ST HAND EXPERIENCE WITH A MOUNTIAN LION I LIVED THROUGH AN ATTACK,HUNT AND PREY. THE MOUNTIAN LION WAS ABOUT THE SAME AGE 2 YEARS OLD AND 117 LBS. 7'2" FROM TIP OF NOSE TO TAIL.

YES I LIVED HE DID NOT.IT IS ON RECORD IN FARMINGTON NEW MEXICO.

I KNOW THIS IS VERY TRAGIC BUT WE HAVE TO LOOK AT THE MESSAGE THAT WE ARE GIVEN.

PAY MORE HEED TO MOTHER NATURE.

I AM TRULY SORRY TO THE FAMILIES OF THESE PEOPLE

AND THANKS FOR POSTING THE ARTICLE AND ALL YOUR OPINIONS.

snip....just watch out in case another is getting set to attack.

I have never seen a Mtn Lion in the wild but I thought they where solitary predators?

People over estimate the usefulness of a hand gun. As pointed out, you need the time to use it. Besides, they make an unsightly bulge in my spandex riding shorts. :D

On a positive note, Ohio just passed a concealed to carry law. Woohoo! About time!

True, a gun does not guarantee safety- or even an advantage for that matter. But it sure beats throwing rocks- as several have suggested.

Re: spandex- get a smaller piece

Or I guess you could carry several BIG ROCKS in your spandex. "Hey is that a rock in your pocket or..."

On the subject of rocks... don't you have to bend over to pick them up? Didn't the advice say "don't bend over"?

Cool about Ohio. Do they have reciprical agreement now, too? Send me a private about this if you have any links to further info. I get tired of being made a criminal when I visit the state.

Lets see now. I could go on a big rant right about here but I will back off a touch.

Around here where I live work and hunt, Cougars hunt ELK for food, 600 pounds and Mule Deer around 150 pounds. And even livestock.

I would think Blacktail Deer and some(?) Mule Deer(?) for the region in discussion. Around something like 100-125 pounds.

And damage? These critters back FIVE razer sharp Switchblades on each paw. And they are designed to use them in getting the goods to eat.

As for being defensive. When? Getting something to eat comes natural and if they have not been conditioned to fear man or livestock, a young cat will get what it can when it can where it can.

There seem to more of these attacks every year. I wonder how the annual number of cougar and bear attacks compare?

logscaler.

logscaler I appreciate the lesson on mule and blacktail deer :D

I'm glad you "held back" and didn't unleash the full frontal assault that is the "knowledge of mountain lions" by logscaler B)B)

I was basically bringing up how powerful they really are. born at night but not last night.

logscaler.

logscaler I appreciate the lesson on mule and blacktail deer :D

I'm glad you "held back" and didn't unleash the full frontal assault that is the "knowledge of mountain lions" by logscaler B)B)

I was basically bringing up how powerful they really are. born at night but not last night.

Yeah not last night but last Tuesday night for sure...jk :DB)

I first read this in the local newspaper this morning. On one page, it mentioned that 'Only 5 people killed by lions in California in the past century'.

I don't know where they got those stats, but a friend of mine is in Search and rescue regionally here in California and he has already been called in on 7 lion deaths.

I have had close encounters 3 times with lions. In one I was no more than 10 feet away. Luckily those were face to face encounters and I was carrying a gun, otherwise I might be another one of those unmentioned statistics.

When they outlawed lion hunting, the lions got bold. Their population has also been steadily increasing since the late 80's.

The save the mountain lion foundation portrays their cute fluffy kittens and makes them out to be an endangered animal, which, in the West, they are not. Animal lovers who have never seen the real thing send them money and vote on legislation to ban the regulated hunting of them. They have no idea what the real animal is about. It makes me mad.

If you are going to be out in their territory, in the truly wild places, you had better understand that you are their prey, and you'd better go armed.

As a cyclist I have ridden in some of our nations parks. Specifically Skyline Drive where I did a 5 day self contained tour. There you deal with Black Bears. When I am on the parkway riding I don't worry about bears...just deer. The deer run out in front of you and at 40 miles an hour on a down hill it can be dangerous.

In camp I do think about bear safety. I hang my food and keep my tent and sleeping gear separate from any food oder. Why? Because two years ago we had a bear roaming Mathew Arms Campgrounds. The morning we woke up and a 175lb black bear was sitting on the hood of a pickup truck just a couple of campsites away....

I saw a related story on the mountain lions and you have to remember that not only are we humans encroaching on their habitat. Wild animals are encroaching on ours and learning to live with us in our neighborhoods.

I am sure the cyclist was attched from behind and the cat went for the neck and head...if you can put something between you and the animal you stand a better chance of defending yourself regardless of the the predator species.

As far as why are cyclists attacked more often, in my humble opinon I think it is outdoor people in general...what about that fellow and his girlfriend who where studying grizzley bears and where consumed by their research, literally?

Happy caching and wear your bear-bells when out in the woods.

CG

Edited by CycleGuy

Ironic

The Game Warden in N.M. that charged me for killing the Mountian Lion in self defense told the Judge the Same thing the day I appeared in Court to defend myself,again. This is the same year that Operation Game Theif(Yes I was the First to get it) was Started and also the same year Mountian Lions were put on the Endangered Species list.

Mr. Warden to Judge,

If you would have thrown a rock at it or waved your arms at it it would have taken off..............you were in no danger.

Me thinking,

Yea Right... :D

I tried to explain how the Lion had snuck up on me while hunting Coyotes,I was in Full Cammo,back then I was Trapping so I really smelt well,you know and crouched behind a bush when all of the Sudden I spotted it jumping at me and got him before he got me.

But as is said Mr. Warden is always right.

At least It is on record.

And Mountian Lions are no longer Endangered Species.

Found Guilty .

Fined $310.00 and Court costs.

(Part of the reason of being a tree hugger type now.)It would take up too much space here to tell the whole story.

I guess thats the catch 22 you try to defend Nature and the Earth as best you can but there are some things we just can not do.

The Things that are Wild are just that WILD.

I was enlightened to the meaning today of

Adventure A happening

1. The encountering of DANGER,

2. A daring,hazardous undertaking

a liking for danger,excitement,etc. to take a risk!

in many of the articles they state that the fires may have pushed too many predators out of their territory. they then have to roam a new area, and "share" hunting territory with more preators in an already tight environment. i wouldn't be suprised if sightings, and encounters get a boost. i belv the bicyclist was apparantly fixing his chain on the bike.. maybe on his knees or in a crouch.. might look wounded to the lion. it's a shatty way to go either way.

robbie

Having had a cougar encounter myself, the best advise I have is ,"Don't run!" Eventhough my instinct told me too and I almost did, don't. From the reports of this attack, it sure sounds like there wasn"t any warnings or sounds like I heard before seeing it, and there's the difference. It's one thing to face a cougar and it't different when it just suddenly lounges at you without warning of anykind.

Even though I had an encounter with one and it's been the only one I have seen in my 30 plus years of trumping through the bush, I would be suprise to see another one unless I'm hunting for one, but I could be wrong. None the less, it hasn't stopped me from doing what I love best and that's spending time in the great outdoors. I'm afraid when I grow really really old, I'll be lucky if I can even make it out my front door and that will be as close to the widerness I can get. So a cougar encounter isn't going to stop me from what I love best, unless one kills me. I should carry protection, knife, stick, cannon, etc.. more often but it seems that since my encounter, I am more aware of my surroundings.

I still believe it's more dangerous living amoug people than getting kill by a cougar.

"And that's all I have to say about that",( Forrest Gump).

Edited by ZoomZoom
We just charge in, take their land away, call them savages and call for their destruction. So goes the wild in wilderness. We did it to the Indians also.

I will rant no more.

Its true that we are encroaching on the lion's territory. As our cities grow they will continue to push the fringes of the wildlands. On the other hand, the lion population is growing also. Hunting pressure on lions has diminished. Young male lions get pushed to the fringe toward the edge of human habitat in an attempt to establish their territory. Dogs and cats become prey and in some cases humans become prey. The lions are evolving and evidence suggests that lions are learning to take advantage of opportunity. This is not healthy evolution for lions or humans. Ultimately the lion will lose. The lions must learn that humans are not food. I'm not sure the best way to teach lions. Is increasing hunting pressure on lions the answer? I don't know. Humans must also learn and adapt. Is more growth management on the wildland fringe the answer? More education of wildland users? I don't know. But for the sake of the lions and humans we must find an answer so that we can preserve what little vestige of wildness we have left in this country. One thing for sure, we can't turn back the clock to the days of Lewis & Clark.

I've gotta put my two cents in here.

A few years back in Oregon the anti hunters waged a successful campaign at the ballot to ban the use of dogs and bait for hunting cougars. So Oregon is quickly becoming like California in that we have been overrun with cougars.

We raise horses and beef and live outside of town. We no longer can allow small children to go outside without an adult on our property. It's too dangerous. During a recent snow storm we were shocked to see so many cougar tracks on our property. Dogs and livestock are being attacked daily.

So far no human deaths in Oregon. To combat the ignorant voters fish and game extended the season from one week to 52 weeks. We can not keep up and they are doing a lot of damage.

There are times, many times, when voters haven't a clue.

The rule of thumb in Oregon is shoot them on site and it isn't working. We can't hunt them effectivly and it will result in loss of human life soon.

... People over estimate the usefulness of a hand gun. As pointed out, you need the time to use it. ...

I'll admit that a handgun doesn't guarantee protection. It does, however, give one more chance of survival. I bet the woman who was attacked would rather her friend was holding a handgun.

Why doesn't someone just put a bell around the neck of these mountain cats so we can hear them coming?

George

I'll furnish the bells if you'll hang 'em

:unsure:

I guess you could as well just go ahead and kill them, so they wouldn't have to slowly starve to death, not being able to sneak upon any prey at all... :blink:

Note: this is coming from someone living in a country where the most dangerous animal in the woods would probably be a wild boar... unfortunately, bears, wolfes, lynx and other large predators have been literally exterminated hundreds of years ago - and they probably wouldn't be able to exist today because of the high population density. So even though this thread started because of such a tragic event, I think you can be glad that there is still a lot more diversity left in your country than in other parts of the planet.

Stefan

(from Germany)

...in many of the articles they state that the fires may have pushed too many predators out of their territory... 

I was amazed to hear on CNN Headline that the mountain lion may have relocated due to the fires.

The attacks took place a very long way from any fire area in the last couple of years. This is a completely separate set of hills.

I would say it is very close to impossible that this particular cat was affected by the fires.

Dave_W6DPS