Cold Weather Gear

davwil

My old *Parka extreme cold weather combat* is kinda getting old. I live near Base (ie: CFB Gagetown) and have seen some of the new gear coming out.

I know the basic rules about dressing warm... but as a civilian I do not have the great training (?!?) that the Army has.

Can you give advice about dressing for extreme cold weather and what should I purchase and where (specially around Freddy Beach).

TKS, Dave

Hey Dave.. it's all about layering.. I have all of us dressed in 3 in 1 jackets and with winter boots (mukluks). It's nice to have long johns and warm socks on. Don't forget a hat as that is where most of any heat escapes. I am investing in some snowshoes for the family that I hope are going to make winter caching that much more fun.. I believe www.mec.ca has sections on winter dressing.. you could also try www.clubtread.com but that's a western Canada site.. still lots of info there. Good luck!

I still find a good dense wool better than fleece, especially when there's moisture involved. One of the best deals in pants are the old Germain Army pants. They are dense preshrunk wool re-enforced in the right places plus a water resistant inner liner on front of the legs, just the place we scoop up a lot of moisture. These pants are pretty snazzy if your into the Fred Astaire look.

If your active it is well worth spending money on hi-tech underware that wick's chilling moisture away from the skin. They really work a lot better than the old cotton crap.

Polypropolene and Chlorofibre I think are a couple of the materials.

MEC definitely has some great stuff. Doing ice climbing and mountaineering has taught me a few lessons in staying warm. Layering is the way to go, but also consider venting, that is the ability to cool off the clothes without removing them.

The pants I don't leave home without are MEC's Callisto Polartecs: (copy the whole link)

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail....D=1074008800577

These have 3/4 zips on the legs to cool off the legs while moving quickly. When you're taking a break, you do the zips up and you're toasty warm.

MEC has a great polar fleece top that does a great job of breaking the wind, as well as providing flexibility in the arms where most polar fleece fall short.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail....D=1074009117677

I also have a North Face Karakoram shell. It's a 3/4 length sehll that is completely water and wind proof. It has a massive hood, generous pockets and is denier rip stop nylon. It also has large pit zips for venting. This coat is about 8 years old, but looks like I bought it yesterdaty. Not sure what the current model is, but if you look for those features, you'll get a great product.

Sure, they may cost a little more, but they'll work exceptionally well and last you a long long time.

I have:

North Face Micro Fibre shell

Sierra Designs Fleece Liner

A MEC Down Vest

Burton Nylon/cotton lined snow pants

Mec Cotton liner gloves

leather outer Mitts

Sorel -40 rated boots

Various Toques and scarves

All of which are used in various combinations depending on current conditions.

Hey Dave.. it's all about layering.. I have all of us dressed in 3 in 1 jackets and with winter boots (mukluks). It's nice to have long johns and warm socks on. Don't forget a hat as that is where most of any heat escapes. I am investing in some snowshoes for the family that I hope are going to make winter caching that much more fun.. I believe www.mec.ca has sections on winter dressing.. you could also try www.clubtread.com but that's a western Canada site.. still lots of info there. Good luck!

A good way to improve the warmth of your 3-1 jacket is to seperate the fleece from the jacket and zip it up seperately. It will allow you keep warmer and vent without freezing yourself. If you have a waist strap in the coat use it. it keeps the warm air in the jacket.

My old *Parka extreme cold weather combat*  is kinda getting old. I live near Base (ie: CFB  Gagetown) and have seen some of the new gear coming out.

I know the basic rules about dressing warm... but as a civilian I do not have the great training (?!?) that the Army has.

Can you give advice about dressing for extreme cold weather and what should I purchase and where (specially around Freddy Beach).

TKS, Dave

The new kit is a vast improvement over the old stuff which is of the 1960,s design. I was posted to petawawa and it got a lot of use but I found I could use the combat coat with proper layering for most of the winter as the extreme cold parka was way to warm, I could only wear a t shirt under it! funny it took 40 years to get new stuff, sound like the Seaking and [gm100guy] is right about the fashion police :mad: , I have both the airforce and the army kit. I don't care what my scouts and family think :unsure: I'm warm and dry and that's what counts in the end :mad: