What Defines A Team Find?

CoronaKid

I know this has probably been discussed at length before, but I just ran across a log that intrigued me enough to start this discussion.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...af-0427be5eb53e

Look specifically at CodeSlapper's logs and you will note that he never did really find the cache. He only did the math to find the coordinates. He then gave the coordinates to Pacholik and he found the cache. Nevertheless, it was still logged as a find by CodeSlapper.

Do you think it should be logged as a find by CodeSlapper? I'm on the fence, but I do think it brings up some interesting questions about what really constitutes a find. I know that some teams are a couple or a group of friends that all log finds under the same username, but I thought that this one was a little different since in this case each is a separate cacher that just teamed up on this cache. I'm just curious as to what some other cachers think.

Did both sign the logbook?

All it says is that one did the math and the other found it. They could of been together when it was found. Sometimes myu son goes with me caching. Sometimes he finds the cache, but I do the problems and sign the logs. Normally I just post the finds under my account, the one I'm writing under now. But we did make an account for him. Would it be wrong for him to log a find as well on the ones he was there with me on finding? I don't think it would be. Now if these two people were totally seperate people and one had done the math and gave teh answer to the other and didn't go after the cache and sign the log too, then that wouldn't look good in my eyes...

It doesn't really say he wasn't there either. His partner could of been bragging up his part in the team find. We have a local cache that requires some pretty intense math, that I've solved wrong once. When I get back to it, you can bet my cache partner will brag it up if they are the ones that actually find the cache after I bang my head on the wall and then finally solve the math.

Did both sign the logbook?

All it says is that one did the math and the other found it. They could of been together when it was found. Sometimes myu son goes with me caching. Sometimes he finds the cache, but I do the problems and sign the logs. Normally I just post the finds under my account, the one I'm writing under now. But we did make an account for him. Would it be wrong for him to log a find as well on the ones he was there with me on finding? I don't think it would be. Now if these two people were totally seperate people and one had done the math and gave teh answer to the other and didn't go after the cache and sign the log too, then that wouldn't look good in my eyes...

I think it is quite obvious that CodeSlapper didn't actually find the cache himself. If you read his first log, he states that he has no hope of getting to the cache site and that he is the brains while Pacholik is the brawn. His second log was the "Found it" log and it was written on the same day. I suppose if CodeSlapper reads this he can let us know either way.

I could truly care less if he did log it as a find even though he physically did not find the cache. I just think it brings into question what actually defines the ability to claim a legitimate find.

To each his own. :D

I think it all comes down to being consistent with what you represent your Geocaching account to be.

For example, everyone who knows us knows that TeamJiffy refers to my wife and me, and our logs usually make it clear when both of us went to a cache, or only one of us. We log all our finds as TeamJiffy, even when one of us is travelling and caching solo, or one of us is sick and the other is caching locally, etc.

But if neither of us visited a cache, we wouldn't log it. Or, if I had an account that represented only me, it would be wrong for me to have Fy (my wife) log a cache for me.

Note that I am referring to not the name of the account as defining this, but rather what people understand the account name to represent. For example, the wonderful San Jose caching couple Marky & Joani is fully realized by everyone be a couple, even though the account name they use is called "Marky."

-Jif

Edited by TeamJiffy

What if codeslapper is disabled and cannot physically go out and find a cache. His participation in that capacity would be more than acceptable. As a team member, a disabled person could play, albeit by a slightly different standard. There are a number of geocachers who, for health reasons, don’t find many caches but contribute a great deal to the game.

EDIT: Typo

Edited by Criminal
What if codeslapper is disabled and cannot physically go out and find a cache. His participation in that capacity would be more than acceptable. As a team member, a disabled person could play, albeit by a slightly different standard. There are a number of geocachers who, for health reasons, don’t find many caches but contribute a great deal to the game.

EDIT: Typo

LOL...I love all these what if scenarios! A quick check of his logs and you'll see that CodeSlapper is definitely not handicapped. Again, I'm not judging CodeSlapper, I just found it interesting that there are those that log finds without physically being there. It's an aspect of the game that I hadn't seen before and it intrigued me.