Buried Blocks And The Centre

lathama

The one in bedfordshire is close to where I live (I mean, 20 minutes drive) and I went to see what was there. It is the middle of a farmer's field with no apparent marker at all.

However, investigation on the OS website does tell us that the block is about 80cm down. In fact, I guess that's what the "buried " bit means!

The Centre, simply refers to the Ordnance Survey offices (their Centre, in much the same way that Manchester has an "Arndale Centre" ). It doesn't actually mean it is in the centre of anything. It's just their central headquarters thats all.

The Centre, simply refers to the Ordnance Survey offices (their Centre, in much the same way that Manchester has an "Arndale Centre" ). It doesn't actually mean it is in the centre of anything. It's just their central headquarters thats all.

I hate to gainsay (the usually right about almost everythig) MCL but the this is the center refered to.

It's really really exciting to visit as it appears to be just a spot on a manhole cover:

P00973.jpg

Chris

Edited by Chris n Maria

As the OS Surveyor who was at the Farley Mount event, I was probably the person MCL spoke to.

I'm surprised that these points are being referred to as Benchmarks. They are not generally used for heighting which is what you'd associate BM's to be.

This point in particular is I think a GPS station which is used for surveying purposes. Its used to base surveys from, as it is a known, coordinated point. The cross or crosscut as it's known, is the point itself and the centre of that cut is the actual coordinated point. It would usually have a punch mark in the centre too. Obviously we would not mark on the main drain cover where the paint is, as this can be turned. The point has to be permanent and stable. I've enjoyed making these marks in the past myself, although putting a brass rivet into a kerb was more fun. Sad I know!

As for the paint, I can only think it was put there by someone as a marker to point out where the cross was. Many people use these points for surveying purposes.

As for buried blocks. I only know of one near Chertsey that I had to dig down to. Once found I was then able to set the theodolite up on it and commence the survey work.

I hope this has helped. If anyone wants anymore info. then just email me and I'll try and help.