The Last Word

lessenergy

Is it just me or does anyone else notice that when a moderator closes a thread he/she often makes a jab at someone who posted previously in that thread?

To me this seems like an abuse of the power that the moderators have. It must be pretty nice to get to insult someone with the full backing of GC.com and then lock the thread so that no one else can respond.

If you want examples, scroll through all of the threads that are locked by moderators. In many (but not all cases for sure) this pattern exists.

In at least one instance a moderator's last post before locking a thread was to state that it was done at the request of J5. It was even true but J5's request was not serious, he was just trying to make a point. No one could see that though because the moderator had deleted or edited quite a few posts which would have put J5's request in context. So, on the basis of what the moderator allowed to be seen, it sure seemed that J5 was being an *ss when really he was not the one who should have been labeled such in that exchange.

Les.

Is it just me or are some people going to complain about the moderators no matter what the moderators do?

If I moderator does the same thing I'm doing or someone else is doing, suddenly some people get all upset because there are moderators doing it.

Moderators are humans. They act like you act and like I act. They think people are jerks just like we do. They resort to sarcasm just like we do. Just because they have the responsibilty to close a thread or give out a warning doesn't mean they shouldn't be expected to display human behavior anymore.

For heaven's sake, quit thinking of them as moderators. It's giving the whole situation an "us vs. them" complex and there's no need for that. They're just someone else in the forum. That's it. If they act like you or me, maybe it;s because they're not a lot different from you and me. So quit trying to make them different.

Is it just me or are some people going to complain about the moderators no matter what the moderators do?

<<SNIP>>

It's not just you.

We have a few malcontents with internet access here. These people will find something to complain about no matter what happens. They must be a blast to work with on a job.

In at least one instance a moderator's last post before locking a thread was to state that it was done at the request of J5. It was even true but J5's request was not serious, he was just trying to make a point. No one could see that though because the moderator had deleted or edited quite a few posts which would have put J5's request in context. So, on the basis of what the moderator allowed to be seen, it sure seemed that J5 was being an *ss when really he was not the one who should have been labeled such in that exchange.

Well if that is all it takes I am a big boy who is responsible for my own action. I do not think that I need a mod to help me get labeled as an "A hole" I can accomomplish that on my own. So with that said.

"I hope this thread is deleted or locked"

<snip>

For heaven's sake, quit thinking of them as moderators. It's giving the whole situation an "us vs. them" complex and there's no need for that. They're just someone else in the forum. That's it. If they act like you or me, maybe it;s because they're not a lot different from you and me. So quit trying to make them different.

Agree. This moderator bashing is way out of control and is really getting to be tired. If there were topics closed just because they were started by a user that the mod didn't like, or other events, I would be more sympathetic. This doesn't appear to be happening with any frequency, so as stated above,

Lay off the moderators.

lessenergy Posted on: Dec 24 2003, 10:17 AM

Replies: 43

Views: 584 Hey, I am still not saying that I agree with the Moderation. Far from it.

What I am saying is that they are decent people who are doing what they think is right. And they volunteer.

So, agree with their decisions or not, just give them a break for a couple of days so they don't have to worry about it. They deserve that and our thanks as well.

Les.

Forum: Geocaching Topics · Post Preview: #751869

<snip>

Hey, that yas my first snip! YAY!!!

Anyway, Les... What's it gonna be? Are you with the moderators or not?

Surely to goodness you haven't been that badly mistreated since the latter part of December. If you have, the Kleenex tissue is better than Puffs.

My conscience would surely be gouging me profusely if I were the starter of this thread. Glad I'm not, and hope I get this post through before it gets canned.

OUCH!

BTW....For the moderators: You shouldn't reply anything to this post in your defense, since it only adds to the trouble. Might put the ol Master Lock on it, eh?

*Returning with an edit*

That snip was just one of several that Les paid in defense to the mods during that time.

No poke to you Les, but what gives?

Edited by opey one

You know, the mods have rules that they enforce. People have gone from complaining about the rules to complaining about the mods. Hey, if you are targeting a mod, say because he didn't approve your cache right away, isn't that violating the guideline against personal attacks?

I disagree with what you said. A lot of the threads got closed without pithy comment from the mods, and some were closed by the person that started the thread. Some threads got closed and rather than leave it alone, the same person would start another thread on the same subject (think that might get closed too).

This has gotten out of control. Respect is a 2 way street. BigRedMed and Bons have worded things better than I could so I'll leave it at that. But in my experience:

I am really a smarta**, and I say things I shouldn't. I often contribute to a thread without posting anything of substance whatsoever. Some forum participants get feathers ruffled about this, who cares. As long as I do not use foul language, attack someone personally or stray to far off topic my little one liner smartalecky comments are ok. There is room for fun. There is room for silly. There is even room for out right anarchy, as long as it is done respectfully. There are a lot of people rolling around with a chip on their shoulders. Lighten up, Francis. This is a game, and this is the place where friends get together to discuss it. Ok, group hug. :D