Request: Search By Zip Code

Divine

When you enter a eurobill in Eurobilltracker (EBT) service, you are supposed to enter the zip code of the place you found the bill. After entering you can get a map which shows the entering place of that particular bill. When the bill is entered more than once, the tracker draws a route in the map, in a bit similar way as in our TB maps.

I asked in EBT forums if they have some kind of a listing which has the coordinates to all the zip codes. The answer was yes, to almost all zip codes. (At least for those countries that use eurobills.) The listing is gathered up from various sources (by volunteers, I think).

I remember Jeremy once saying, when asked for search feature working by international zip codes, that Gc.com doesn't have a clue about the zip code system of other countries than the USA. Now that we know that there actually is a working listing for many countries, so perhaps Gc.com could ask Ebt.com if there's any way to cooperate so that Gc.com could provide a zip code based search for more countries?

The answer was yes, to almost all zip codes. (At least for those countries that use eurobills.) The listing is gathered up from various sources (by volunteers, I think).

Every country has their own licensing rules. The UK postal codes, for example, cost us around 700 pounds every year. If they are obtaining their postal codes from various sources I suspect they are violating various international laws to do so. But maybe not. If you would like to approach them and obtain other countries' postal codes, and it is legal, I am always happy to add them to our database (and it was designed in such a way to make it easy to do so).

The answer was yes, to almost all zip codes. (At least for those countries that use eurobills.) The listing is gathered up from various sources (by volunteers, I think).

Every country has their own licensing rules. The UK postal codes, for example, cost us around 700 pounds every year. If they are obtaining their postal codes from various sources I suspect they are violating various international laws to do so. But maybe not. If you would like to approach them and obtain other countries' postal codes, and it is legal, I am always happy to add them to our database (and it was designed in such a way to make it easy to do so).

Maybe this source can be used for Australian postcodes?

http://www1.auspost.com.au/postcodes/

Edit:The link on this page reads "Download the Postcode Datafile".I didn't give the direct link as there is a note to read.

Edited by fivegallon