Garmin 60c And 60cs @ Ces

When will the 60CS ship? :D

Okay, seriously... I'd like to know:

• Can it switch from Landscape to Portrait mode like the GPS III+ and the GPS V?
  • Does it come with a cradle? Or does it just sit on your desk when you sync it with your PC?
  • Are there levels of brightness or just one?
  • Can the backlight be turned off to save power?
  • Are/will car mounts be available when they ship?
  • How many characters will fit in the description field in the Geocaching screens?
  • Can the startup screen be customized to include the owner's information?
  • Does it have auto-off features?
  • If you can handle one... how does it feel when interacting with the unit via the button array?

Can it switch from Landscape to Portrait mode like the GPS III+ and the GPS V?

No, it's portrait only.

I've got a couple of questions -

Can it do autorouting in the GPS?

Does it autoroute on 24k topo? City select? Metroguide? Base map?

Edited by Hankhan

WOW, I wish I was at the show! I use my gps at the local golf course to give me the distance from my ball to the center of each green that I have marked as a waypoint. Find out if the 60 can show distance in yards. If so, can it show yards more than 1/10th of a mile?? Thanks, LB:^) :D

:tongue: anyone have any questions about this unit? I am at the show and can ask Garmin. Very nice unit. I will check this in the morning for questions.

I'm interested in the screen and how well it can show the track compared to the 76S in sunlight,dark tree cover and cloudy skys.

Can the active track color be changed or just the saved tracks. Also can the backgound color be changed to help make track stand out.

Capt.

Sorry for the delay folks,

Here is what the Garmin folks are saying.

Backlight timeout 15sec,30 1min or 2min

Backlight level 0%-100%

Color schemes 9 - kinda like skins

Geoccache mode, seems limited - it is, basically only allows you to set an Icon for Found Caches and not found caches. No Actual "Geocahe" mode

Mounts?

None

Cradle - no

Characters in geocache description fields?

10 - Actual this is only a waypoint name field, there is a description field and I believe the numbers were like 45 Characters (maybe wrong but was multiple line of text

Car mounts?

No

Startup screen customized?

Yes - you have the ability to put a fair amount of info in here.

Autooff features

Yes

Can it do autorouting?

City select cd needed and will only do it on the maps from "City Select"

Does it autoroute on 24k topo? City select? Metroguide? Base map?

No, No, No Yes

Battery life? 30 hours in power save mode? 20-24 hours normal

His quote was "that is what the engineers tell us"

Find out if the 60 can show distance in yards. If so, can it show yards more than 1/10th of a mile??no - will not display in yards for golf purposes.

As far as feel, felt nice, not heavy but not cheap and delicate feeling, Sturdy feel, rubber around the bottom corners. I have a couple pics but need to pull them from my cam, let me know if you are interested in those or the "Specs" from their product sheet.

Hope this helps some of you. In general it was very tough to find a Garmin person that knew a lot about these 2 units. MANY of the people strolling by stoppped to check the unit out, I really was impressed by the color of the display and the amount of data it will hold, I believe it was 60 Megs.

Rob

Yeah, I emailed Garmin to ask whether MetroGuide 4 would autoroute, and they said no. I also asked whether the unit would fit into the windshield mount I use with my Rino, and they said maybe. Here's their response:

I believe the answer is no to both questions but I can't say for sure

because we have not seen this unit yet. It is still in it's initial

production phase. The unit is a bit heavier then the Rino so it might not

hold up on the suction mount for the Rino. The MetroGuide will not route

properly on the unit, it would require the City Select CD.

A few more observations on the 60/60s:

1) It's basically a one-horned big brother to the Rino 130: a little longer, a bit heavier, a MUCH bigger screen in color, and obviously no radio.

2) Menu system completely redesigned: text entry is off a grid of letters/numbers instead of a scroll-through (yay!)

3) I didn't see tracks, but routes appeared as a purple broad line surrounding the current road line -- much more visible than the 76 renders it.

4) The back has a circular clip for a belt holster, and the same clip snaps onto the mounting bracket on their display. I assume a car mount will work the same way.

5) There are 6 games on it, plus calculator and calendar

6) Geocaching-specific features include marking it as found: changes the icon, and puts an entry in the calendar. No clue on how that data gets transfered to a PC/Mac.

7) USB! USB! USB!

See my other thread for other CES GPS info (Magellan, Cobra, Leadtek)

I was at the CES and the Garmin booth was packed. I did speak to one person about why the European software was so expensive. He said that in all countries other than the United States, you have to pay a royalty to use their maps. This drives the price up.

On a releated note, I drove to the CES from Phoenix. The 2610 put me right there. However, I had to park quite a way away so I pulled out my trusty Legend and marked my where my truck was parked. After the show, I found it no problem. If you've ever had to park at the CES, you can appreciate this.

Of course, you won't be able to use it with easyGPS until they do some programming changes.

Has anyone thought to send them an E-mail? They may not know a USB to GPS connection needs to be added.

I emailed the author of almost every Mac GPS program to ask whether they'd support the new USB connection (prod, prod). The general response seemed to be "Give it a try and let me know if it works." :)

Of course, you won't be able to use it with easyGPS until they do some programming changes.

Has anyone thought to send them an E-mail? They may not know a USB to GPS connection needs to be added.

USB programming is very different from serial port programming, so all the PC software you use will need to be updated to support the new USB GPS receivers. I'll be ordering a 60CS receiver for EasyGPS and ExpertGPS development.

- Dan (author of EasyGPS and ExpertGPS)

USB programming is very different from serial port programming, so all the PC software you use will need to be updated to support the new USB GPS receivers.  I'll be ordering a 60CS receiver for EasyGPS and ExpertGPS development.

- Dan (author of EasyGPS and ExpertGPS)

Dan, I noticed that Garmin's web site has a screen shot of the 60cs with the caption:

"During navigation toward a geocache, a note or hint about the cache is readily accessible (if the cache waypoint contains such information in its comment field)."

Is that something that you can integrate into your programs? That would be awesome. :unsure:

-Chris

Find out if the 60 can show distance in yards. If so, can it show yards more than 1/10th of a mile??no - will not display in yards for golf purposes.

:)

WOO HOO!!! My 60c was in the mail box when I got home last night!! Saved the house as a waypoint, set units to yards and walked down the street till it read 300 yards to home. That's as far as I can hit it, even down a paved cart path! It's gonna work great for golf!!!LB:^)!!!!!!!!!! :D:rolleyes::(