Quoting Etiquette

ironman114

Since the last topic on quoting was closed,( by the starter) while I was trying to agree with the topic starter (due to my deriling of the thread) I will attempt to get a good discussion going here.

What kind of etiquette should be observed when quoting?

Personally I like to see who made the quote so that I can go back and read the whole post to get the context of what they were saying.

I edit most of mine to make my point but leave the posters name.

If the person you're quoting is only 1 or 2 posts above yours, I don't think the entire quote (with name) is necessary. Actually, no "quote" is needed if the post is right above yours. If the quote comes from deep within the thread, you should add the original poster's name.

When I quote a <snip>, I make it clear that the words may be out of context by using the dots (whatever they are called) like this:

...This is a constructive topic...

;)B)

I leave the original posters name. A good rule of thumb of good quoting is that in the quote there is less text than there is in your new post. It's frusrating to scroll down pages of quote just to see that the poster agrees with the previous one, or laughs his/her bodyparts off. I know, almost everyone posts those, and sometimes you just have to do it, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't avoid unnecessary all-quoting when you have the chance.

I also like when people quote only little parts of the original poster's text and comment under that. Then they quote the next thing, and comment under that. On longer posts it makes the message more readable.

I'm also in favor of editing messages. Sometimes those three to six and even more consecutive oneliner posts by the same poster look just like (s)he's padding his/her posting numbers. Again, all the things presented compactly within one post makes the reading more pleasant.

I'm not suggesting 'more unwritten rules' here in forums to annoy everyone. Proper quoting just makes reading all the messages more enjoyable.

There's a problem with it all. It's etiquette and you can't make everyone follow the rules of etiquette. If there is a problem within the forums, then report it. The mods are there for a reason. My experience is that when someone that is not within the heirarchy tries to tell others what and how to post that it results in more hostility within and amongst the group. Let it go and just report the problems (if they really are problems) to the mods or Jeremy. Apparantly according to Jeremy, plenty of people reported the images in the sig lines and he removed them. Perhaps he can just remove the pictures alltogether, or even better set a size limit so they won't take as long to load.

On a different board, J5 got on me about failing to put the name of the person I was quoting. I agree with him that it is good etiquette. Unfortunately, I still tend to forget to do it.

Don't you ever use the Quote-button in the upper right corner of the original poster's message? It does the naming automatically. See for yourself! ;)

On a different board, J5 got on me about failing to put the name of the person I was quoting.

Some people are known to omit the name of the person they are quoting as a sign of 'disrespect.' Others simply cut-and-paste text and add the appropriate tags. Personally, I think that because our comments are limited solely to the quoted material, and never at the individual who authored it, the name is not terribly relevant.

I try to remember to replace edited out text with a <SNIP> within the quote.

I have sometimes used "<snip>" to indicate that I have not quoted a passage in its entirety, but I usually use the more traditional ellipses.

Edited by BassoonPilot
Don't you ever use the Quote-button in the upper right corner of the original poster's message? It does the naming automatically. See for yourself!

The reason I don't usually use that is because I rarely want all of a person's quote, and editing the quote gets weird sometimes. I think that is part of where all those imbedded quotes comes from. Anyway, I basically got into the habit of copy and paste, and now automatically do it that way. So, I either should retrain myself to edit the quotes, or put people's names in.

Or, I can just not worry about it and annoy people! ;)

Yes paying attention to context is good. I recently defended a pirate when it wasn't clear ( to me anyway) that was what he was. The topic was closed before I could retract my comments. I want to read the context of someones post and not draw a wrong conclusion as to what they meant by someone elses quote of them.

You can always find the original post by using the Find search in the Edit section at the top (at least in Internet Explorer). Just pick a combination of a couple of words together as the find "word". You don't need to know the name.

Regarding quotes I make using the name, I check my motives. If I agree basically with the original quote and I'm just adding my own thoughts, I have no problem adding the name (although I might not if I'm just taking a short portion).

On the other hand, If I take issue with the original quoter, I'll leave his name out. There's no point starting in argument or embarrassing someone just to make a point although I use to do that but have stopped.

Hmmm. I should quote someone as an example. Now let's see... ;)

Also, I usually sign my name (Ok it's only my first name) because it's easy to insult someone by hiding with a "nom de internet" name than it is with your real name. I think it's important to stand by what you say.

Alan

I leave the original posters name. A good rule of thumb of good quoting is that in the quote there is less text than there is in your new post. It's frusrating to scroll down pages of quote just to see that the poster agrees with the previous one, or laughs his/her bodyparts off. I know, almost everyone posts those, and sometimes you just have to do it, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't avoid unnecessary all-quoting when you have the chance.

I also like when people quote only little parts of the original poster's text and comment under that. Then they quote the next thing, and comment under that. On longer posts it makes the message more readable.

I'm also in favor of editing messages. Sometimes those three to six and even more consecutive oneliner posts by the same poster look just like (s)he's padding his/her posting numbers. Again, all the things presented compactly within one post makes the reading more pleasant.

I'm not suggesting 'more unwritten rules' here in forums to annoy everyone. Proper quoting just makes reading all the messages more enjoyable.

LMAO

I find it much more confusing when I don't see who the original poster is that is being quoted. Especially in a faster moving thread, by the time I look back through all the posts and try to match the quotes, I've lost steam and usually focus. And people wonder why I just make inane useless comments.

As was mentioned earlier also, when you start telling people what is right and wrong about their posting styles, then you get the same mayhem that caused the other thread on this topic to be closed. I know I don't like it when someone tells me what is right or wrong about my writing/posting style. I guess that's because I'm an English major with a minor in journalism. That, and being referred to as an Ahole. To each his own, I say. B)

And you can quote me on that! ;)

Edited to add Ahole comment. B)

Edited by Sparky-Watts
When you quote you should do it out of a sense of altruism, duty, honor, obligation, or as a selfless act. Posts involving quotes and comments that are nothing more than forum self gratification will draw the ire of certain people.

Ummmm....I think I know what you mean, but could you give an example so I'm sure? Thanks. ;)

[*QUOTE=]                                               [/Quote*]         

When quoting someone on your kill file does it look like this?

LOL of course if they were in your killfile you couldn't quote them as you wouldn't see their post. :D

(I know you know and were making a joke, but someone else may not know) :D

Edit= * added so the quote that RK made would stay in quotes...if that makes sense.

Edited by ChrisCindy

Thanks Carleenp you helped me find the other way to quote. And it is easier, but sadly it doesn't include their name. Now I understand why sometimes names don't appear.

My ignorance is showing now!

But I am still willing to learn and change.

Edited by ironman114
Don't you ever use the Quote-button in the upper right corner of the original poster's message? It does the naming automatically. See for yourself! :D

I was going to say that I lose the "auto-naming" feature if I want to quote 2 or more people in the same reply, but hitting the "quote" button on Divine's post revealed a work-around to me. :D

When it comes to quoting, I use the same conventions here that is used in Usenet Newgroups. The idea there is to quote enough of the message that you are replying to so that your comments make sense. Also, the idea is to not inlcude a qoute of a lengthy post that takes up several screens just to add a couple of words to the end of it.