On Quoting And The Forums...

parkrrrr

(Mods: this probably belongs in the website forum, but nobody who needs to read this seems to pay any attention to that forum. Feel free to move it if you disagree.)

Maybe it's just me, but I start to have seizures when I see this kind of quoting. If you're one of the people who's doing this, consider editing the quoted text. If you look below the "post reply" button, you'll see a place where you can do that:

biggrin.gif
LOL!
Oh, that's too funny
This is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.
I'm just saying this to be annoying, and to be extra annoying I'll say it in green.
I agree with him!
(Mods: this probably belongs in the website forum, but nobody who needs to read this seems to pay any attention to that forum. Feel free to move it if you disagree.)

Maybe it's just me, but I start to have seizures when I see this kind of quoting. If you're one of the people who's doing this, consider editing the quoted text. If you look below the "post reply" button, you'll see a place where you can do that:

biggrin.gif
LOL!
Oh, that's too funny
I'm just saying this to be annoying, and to be extra annoying I'll say it in green.
I agree with him!

I don't get it

Fuzzy, you've brought up a forum behavior issue, not a request for a change in the forum software's design or operation. I think it's OK right here.

Maybe it's just me, but I start to have seizures when I see this kind of quoting.  If you're one of the people who's doing this, consider editing the quoted text.

As someone who prefers to read for content, I tend to agree. Quote just what you need to, as I've done in this example. Long strings of intentional re-quotes tend to distract from any content that might be hidden in-between. There's a topic that was in danger of getting locked yesterday due to this, but folks took my hint.

Maybe it's just me, but I start to have seizures when I see this kind of quoting. If you're one of the people who's doing this, consider editing the quoted text. If you look below the "post reply" button, you'll see a place where you can do that

I DO get it, and I agree with Ron. It's obvious some people are doing it just to be annoying, or to see how far they can push the moderators. It's amazing that some people can make 200 posts in 1 day and not one of them really contributes a dadgum thing to the discussion, or the community. Personally, I think the mods should have some sort of rule thats as subjective as a virtual cache. Call it the Ahole Rule. The mods have been around the forums long enough to see when someone's being an ahole, even if they technically didnt break any other rules. Ban them for a week. Next time they act up, make it a month. Thrird time, a year.

Personally, I think the mods should have some sort of rule thats as subjective as a virtual cache. Call it the Ahole Rule. The mods have been around the forums long enough to see when someone's being an ahole, even if they technically didnt break any other rules. Ban them for a week. Next time they act up, make it a month. Thrird time, a year.

A fine idea. See ya in a week. ;)

Parkrrrr: It is true that you can edit quotes there, and I usually edit quotes, but not that way.

This is the way it would appear in the reply box (edited slightly to keep it in html):

"[QUOT]

Oh, that's too funny
I agree with him![/i]"

That could be a bit confusing for the average person to edit, and downright maddening for someone like me. An easier way to edit the quote is simply to cut and paste selected items from the original post and then use the "QUOTE" button in the reply box. ;)B)

I read it as Keystone referring to Mopar (and also joking... well maybe joking....)! ;)

Mopar has been on a real rant lately. It's one thing to back the site against the infidels. It's another to bash everyone over the head with your holy scepter in the name of GC.com. It does nothing for the site, newbies, or even the infidels.

Mopar has been on a real rant lately. It's one thing to back the site against the infidels. It's another to bash everyone over the head with your holy scepter in the name of GC.com. It does nothing for the site, newbies, or even the infidels.

It does however, do something for Mopar. And if y'all can get away with using these forums for nothing more than your own self-gratification, surely Mopar can too.

Though I see his point, and I choose to separate quotes when I quote multiple people, I have no problem at all with the "nesting problem."

The nested quotes display the text in a manner that makes it very easy to follow the flow of the dialogue/conversation. Displaying the text in such a manner does make it a little harder to figure out 'who said what,' but does that matter? Not to me.

Edited by BassoonPilot
... if y'all can get away with using these forums for nothing more than your own self-gratification, surely Mopar can too.

Isn't that why we are all here? Because on the whole we enjoy it, or need help that will help us enjoy this hobby more?

There must be some type of self gratification in your post or you would not of taken the time.

Though I see his point, and I choose to separate quotes when I quote multiple people, I have no problem at all with the "nesting problem."

Actually, upon further reflection, it's not the nesting that bothers me. It's the quoting and requoting of images, and especially large images.

It was never as much of a problem with infopoop. But with these forums being more a bit more graphic it does tend to be annoying.

It does however, do something for Mopar.  And if y'all can get away with using these forums for nothing more than your own self-gratification, surely Mopar can too

Amen!!

It's funny how people that quote the rules for posting in this forum are mostly the ones that have been admonished by the mods in the first place. Sorta like a child getting caught with his hand in the cookie jar and ratting out another kid to try and deflect guilt.

Edited by Harrald

The nested quotes display the text in a manner that makes it very easy to follow the flow of the dialogue/conversation. Displaying the text in such a manner does make it a little harder to figure out 'who said what,' but does that matter? Not to me.

As a habitual "nester" and vice-president of the suggested "Ahole" club, I tend to agree with both sides here. There are times when nested quotes make the point easier to follow, and times when they don't. I'll continue to post the way I post until the "Ahole" rule actually goes into effect, and at that point, I guess I'll spend a week caching. ;)

There must be some type of self gratification in your post or you would not of taken the time.

You know, not everyone does everything they do out of self-interest. Some people do things out of pure altruism, some people do things out of a desire to give something back to the community, some people do things out of some other sense of obligation, some people do things because they make someone else happy, and some people do things because they just get tired of hoping someone else will do them.

As a habitual "nester" and vice-president of the suggested "Ahole" club....

I am pretty sure I am a member of the club. Got a card around here somewhere. I don't remember any nominations or elections for officials on the club. Your very assumtion that you get to be VP proves you are an Ahole member and worthy of the Ahole VP position. Guess I just wasted a post but atleast i got to NEST some quotes.

Now all we need is some BIG pictures and an ongoing OT discusions between Sparky, Doc and I to fix this thread up.

As a habitual "nester" and vice-president of the suggested "Ahole" club....

I am pretty sure I am a member of the club. Got a card around here somewhere. I don't remember any nominations or elections for officials on the club. Your very assumtion that you get to be VP proves you are an Ahole member and worthy of the Ahole VP position. Guess I just wasted a post but atleast i got to NEST some quotes.

Now all we need is some BIG pictures and an ongoing OT discusions between Sparky, Doc and I to fix this thread up.

Well, since juggler already got elected Pres, would you consider being our treasurer? You'd be in charge of Odorific Expenditures and Recycled Downloads.

Back on topic, ummmm.........yeah, sometimes those (^) great big pics quoted over and over and over again really slow my 8mhz, 40mb PC down.

I DO get it, and I agree with Ron. It's obvious some people are doing it just to be annoying, or to see how far they can push the moderators. It's amazing that some people can make 200 posts in 1 day and not one of them really contributes a dadgum thing to the discussion, or the community. Personally, I think the mods should have some sort of rule thats as subjective as a virtual cache. Call it the Ahole Rule. The mods have been around the forums long enough to see when someone's being an ahole, even if they technically didnt break any other rules. Ban them for a week. Next time they act up, make it a month. Thrird time, a year.

Just what we need here, more (unwritten) rules....

Basically a forum Gestapo (sp)...

Next all the forum nesters will have to wear purple badges (or post in purple) so that they can be identified.

Mopar, let me buy you and beer and try to relax! food-smiley-004.gif

Big picture:

100_0601.jpg

I'm out of cards first, so that makes me President of the Ahole Club, right?

I leave the rest of your request into you're own capable hands...

Quote button removal? Now that would be cool if it worked. ;)

I think this is what he doesn't like

We'll he practically dared us to do this. Did he think the AHOLES would allow this challenge to go unanswered?

LUF! B)

Just what we need here, more (unwritten) rules....

I disagree. What we need is for forum users to stop trying to push the envelope at every turn so they can martyr themselves.

Next all the forum nesters will have to wear purple badges (or post in purple) so that they can be identified.

Please refer to my statement above.

I'll just ignore the crass gestapo comment.

Big picture:

100_0601.jpg

I'm out of cards first, so that makes me President of the Ahole Club, right?

I leave the rest of your request into you're own capable hands...

Quote button removal? Now that would be cool if it worked. :D

I think this is what he doesn't like

We'll he practically dared us to do this. Did he think the AHOLES would allow this challenge to go unanswered?

LUF! B)

I just need to remember not to open this thread on my dial up connection. ;)B)

Its the voices........the voices..........they say...............Mopar............MOOOparrr......... Defender of the imaculate conception of geocaching.......Champion of the company line........brown noser extrordinaire........... ;)

This thread gets one "Let get it back on topic" comment.

This is it.

I wish y'all would go back to deleting posts instead of closing threads that attract the attention of these jerkwads. As it stands now, the best way to keep the rest of us from discussing something THEY don't like is for them to do this kind of crap and goad y'all into closing the thread.

Don't bother; I'll close it myself.