What Do You Do With Your Gallery Pictures?

FSU*Noles

I know most of you post pictures with your finds - I'm just curious, what do y'all do with your pictures afterwards? I have a directory on my hard drive that's full of pictures organized by PID and a description, but it's starting to get large and cluttered. ( If the benchmark and geocache pictures ever start to outnumber the pictures I take of my kids, my wife will make me quit! :rolleyes: ) Do you organize, keep, or discard your pictures of your finds when you're done? Curiously yours,

-Ken

Edited by FSU*Noles

For now, I keep everything - the camera originals (except the obvious discards: bad exposure or focus, etc.) - in monthly folders on the hard disk. It works out to 1.3G, which is a lot of disk space, but since I have the space I don't view it as a problem.

I routinely file recovery reports with NGS, but so far I've never sent any pictures. If I decided to do that, then I'll be glad I saved these images.

If I run out of disk space I can always burn 'em to CD.

-ArtMan-

Edited by ArtMan
I routinely file recovery reports with NGS, but so far I've never sent any pictures. If I decided to do that, then I'll be glad I saved these images.

Anyone heard when they will be implementing that? I know that word was leaked that it was coming but so far I've not seen anything about it being available.

I keep them all,I usually do it in a file for the year.

Like Benchmarks,Vacation,D.O.I. Mapping etc.1994....5,6,7,8,9,2000, 2001,2002,2003,2004...listed by PID,place or thing.

Then placed on a CD,for back up.

Before I got all this HI-TECH,I just had to keep the Hard Copies of pictures.

I have turned several destroyed in to Deb Brown at N.G.S. as destroyed which I hate with a passion,but when there is indisputable evidence that the mark is gone,or In one case where I found the Disc's and Stem's several hundred feet from the base.

Another the Bridge had been removed,Towers gone,ect.

I think that for Historic Preservation, pictures should be kept indefinately.

And this(Geocaching) is the beggining of Somewhere to log the Pictures.

Not that it will but what happens when these things no longer exist,you may have the only photos of them. ;)

736425 PIDs in the database

x 75k per picture

x 2 pictures per mark

= 110463750000 bytes

Assuming 500MB per disk, you'll need 221 disks to store all the pics (with plenty of room for reference and azimuth marks because of all the PIDs gone.

At a package of 50 disks for $8 (elcamino's amount), it would cost $40 to store all the pics.

Now considering the gasoline cost to drive to 'em all ........

The land area of the U.S. is 3536274.456 square miles. This is 4.8 square miles per PID. Driving from one PID to another in a grid is 2.19 miles between them. 2.19 miles at 25mpg is about 13 cents. Visiting them all would cost about $96,000.

Geez BDT ... maybe you have a wee bit too much time on your hands? ;)

With disk storage so cheap, and gas so cheap*, what's keeping us from logging those remaining, unvisited benchmarks?

Two serious thoughts:

Since I'm enjoying this hobby, I'm glad I live in a densely-benchmarked part of the country.

Second, since by now we, collectively, have visited a about 6.7% of the benchmarks in the NGS database, I wonder if there's any way to estimate what percentage of the 736425 actually exist today. I'd estimate that I find no more than 55-60% of the benchmarks I visit. Some of the rest are likely there, but most of my unfound logs are almost certainly destroyed - victims of highway construction, subdivisions, demolitions, etc., in the intensely developed Washington area where I do most of my hunting. I might reasonably suppose that the chances of a benchmark surviving increase in more remote areas. What I don't know is how typical are the almost-50,000 logs now in the geocaching.com database.

(Come to think of it, does that number on the home benchmark page — "49742 benchmarks recovered so far" — represent logs of all flavors, or just finds?)

-ArtMan-

_____

*Those of us who have lived overseas will understand.

too much time
Aww, it didn't take but a couple minutes to do that. :D

I'm glad I live in a densely-benchmarked part of the country

That brings up another interesting little topic - who's got the most and least in their home zip code?. In my zip code there's 1,417 PIDs listed (without clicking the "see all benchmarks" option).

This whole multi-benchmark hunting question reminds me of the "traveling salesman" problem. Check it out on the web - you'll get an interesting tour. :D

How do you plan your route when you've got a handful of benchmarks to look for? I just go to the nearest one to me, and then use the "Nearest" function on my Garmin to go on from there. I know it's not the most efficient.....

So many topics, so little time. :D

That brings up another interesting little topic - who's got the most and least in their home zip code?. In my zip code there's 1,417 PIDs listed (without clicking the "see all benchmarks" option).

I've got about 1,100 - 1,200 in my whole county. And around 10% or so of them are listed as destroyed in their own logs.

I selected "Check All" at the bottom of the zipcode list and downloaded the result to a file. Then I read this file with Easygps. In Easygps, I selected the first PID, moved down to the last PID, held down Shift and clicked the last PID, selecting them all. Then I clicked the Waypoint menu in GPS, selected Add Waypoint to Route, and read the resulting number of Legs.

How do you plan your route when you've got a handful of benchmarks to look for?  I just go to the nearest one to me, and then use the "Nearest" function on my Garmin to go on from there.  I know it's not the most efficient.....

I find it easy to send the waypoints from my GPS to USAPhotoMaps software. Then I can print out a map with the waypoints, identify the ones I want to go looking for, get their datasheets and head out the door... pretty neat piece of software. Check it out at www.jdmcox.com.

How do you get a count? SWAG? or manual count?

In Easygps, I selected the first PID, moved down to the last PID, held down Shift and clicked the last PID, selecting them all. Then I clicked the Waypoint menu in GPS, selected Add Waypoint to Route, and read the resulting number of Legs.

Another (easier?) way to get a count in EasyGPS: start to sent to GPS. It will show you: "Waypoint 1232 of 500" or whatever (500 for my GPS's). Then you can cancel it.

Another way to do it using Easy/ExpertGPS is to go to the end of the waypoint list and look at the number in the "Rank" column.

As far as the original question of how I store my photos, I currently have them in folders by state, but I'm at the point where I really need to break it into counties (at least for my home state). Right now I only have about 430 photos so disk size isn't an issue. My camers is pretty low resolution so that only adds up to around 30 mb.

Edited by gnbrotz

Anyone heard when they will be implementing that? I know that word was leaked that it was coming but so far I've not seen anything about it being available.

You can check out the NGS photo guidelines, and I believe they are still accepting photos by email to Deb Brown. BUT I seem to recall a message some time ago from our own NGS mole, DaveD, who said the agency was implementing a new upload system and suggesting we might hold off.

Unfortunately, I could not find that post, so maybe DaveD will be able to update us on this project.

IN THE +MEAN TIME+ KEEP UP THE GOOD WORKS ALL. :D

I AM SURE WE WILL ALL BE ON ONE PAGE ONE OF THESE DAYS SOON. B)

I JUST GOT A LETTER FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE,FSA

A GEOGRPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEM (GIS) B) IS BEING IMPLEMENTED TO FARMERS USING GPS TO MANAGE ACREAGE FOR REPORTS.

THE (CLU) B) COMMON LAND UNIT WILL BE USED TO IDENTIFY FIELDS,OR THE SMALLEST AREA OF LAND WITH A COMMON PRODUCER.

I find it easy to send the waypoints from my GPS to USAPhotoMaps software.  Then I can print out a map with the waypoints, identify the ones I want to go looking for, get their datasheets and head out the door... pretty neat piece of software.  Check it out at www.jdmcox.com.

USAPhotoMaps is a very, very neat peice of software. Thanks for the link! I haven't seen it before, and it's quite useful!