Geo-hot Potato

travisl

Can we have a vote about that 5 mile rule?

15 would be better, no limit would be even better than that.

Although I brought up the subject of the five mile rule, the game has started and no rules should be changed during the game. After the game is over (and King County has won :D ) then we should discuss the rules for the next time.

WeightMan found Auburndale Park (Traditional Cache) at 1/11/2004

Log Date: 1/11/2004

Just a little late night trip to find that the hot potato had already been picked up.  Oh well, I snagged another cache and got to meet Totem Lake.  Nice seeing you.

Three northerners, all decending on the cache at once. Drinksmith grabbed it at 9:15, and logged it into Grave Robber at 11:20. Why am I visualizing Team Misguided sending Little Lost One out in his pajamas at 2:20 a.m. to go get it? :unsure:

I've gotten a few questions so thought I'd post the answers here for everyone to see.

I approved the Grave Robbers cache before they placed it there. It is an unknown cache but not a puzzle cache.

GEM's was within his rights to take the potato once someone else moved it. The 48 hour consecutive rule applies only when no one on either side touches it. Since North moved it GEM's was an eligible receiver.

And yes, while not in the spirit of the rules, it is technically acceptable for GEM's to sit on the potato for another 48 hours.

:unsure:

That's fine. It's obvious the experienced players are all south of the border and know how to take advantage of the rules as they stand. We northerners are learning the dirty tricks as we go. If not this game... next game. So gloat all you want... just know how cheap it is even at our expense. :unsure:

How can something not be 'in the spirit of the rules' when the rules specifically state someone can hold the potato for 48 hours?

While I would agree 48 hours seems long - it's much more fun to have the potato moving in SOME direction - as y'all have said, next year (?) it can be changed. I'm sure we'll all have an opinion when the time comes.

AND, why did the 48 hours work last year (was it o.k then?), but isn't working this year? Different team strategies?

-=-

michelle

This is the first time I have played. I'm in the south. It maybe because of my occupation (Search Engine Positioning Expert) that I think so analytical. However, with an analytical approach the game becomes quite fun. It is a matter of playing within the rules, not trying to break them. If we all do that it will make it all the more fun for everyone, even if the north does come in second. :unsure:

While I would agree 48 hours seems long - it's much more fun to have the potato moving in SOME direction - as y'all have said, next year (?) it can be changed.

I think you've answered your own question. The 48 hour rule is there to allow people time to move the ball if they need it, not to create a time frame for how long you should hold onto the potato.

To me, this limits the fun of the game and after all, that's what the game is about.

Are you playing Hot Potato for fun or are you playing Hot Potato simply to win?

FWIW - South is winning 2.02 (and counting) to .56.

if your description of the points are correct then it might be easier, from a bookkeeping perspective to award 1 point per hour (or 1 point for the smallest measured unit of time at least).

I think you're right. One point an hour might be a good idea. Winner is first one to 1,000 or 1,200.

While I would agree 48 hours seems long - it's much more fun to have the potato moving in SOME direction - as y'all have said, next year (?) it can be changed.

I think you've answered your own question. The 48 hour rule is there to allow people time to move the ball if they need it, not to create a time frame for how long you should hold onto the potato.

To me, this limits the fun of the game and after all, that's what the game is about.

FWIW - South is winning 2.02 (and counting) to .56.

First, I want to reiterate that bringing in this game concept and devising the rules was a phenomenal job. :unsure: Without attempting to swell his head any bigger than his avatar shows... :blink: Thanks again Travisl! :D

I think a modified length of time would be a good idea, but I also think 4 hours is probably too short and limits those that have to work the ability to do a lunch hour grab. However, 4 hours is also a good way to keep the potato moving.

How about a modified graduated holding rule? This gives the finding team a chance to gain an accumulation advantage while forcing the game to move on within let's say the first 3 weeks. The graduated rule would also give the losing team a slight chance to catch up with the accumulated point gap.

1st week = 4 hours

2nd week = 8 hours

3rd week = 12 hours

remaining time = 12 hours max

Make it so a point reduction starts to happen after the hold time expires as penalty until released.

Then, implement a skunk end game. If there is a 7 point gap by day 30 (for example) call it game end. 51 points wins, otherwise 100 days ends. There should always be room for a tie.

Now as a side discussion I started on the Eastside forum, I noted how the game experience level is somewhat lopsided. This is not in reference to cache finding experience. My suggestion was to make sure there is at least one experienced game player on each side. That way, there is an experienced consultant on both rules and game play on both sides. Then the ref can really handle the technical interpretation instead of handling questions that seemingly have an obvious answer.

Also, in fairness to the current game... I'm not expecting any of these changes to the current game. Merely suggestions for future game play and totally open for debate.

I don't know if I like the 48 hour limit. However, there needs to be some consideration for those who want to play that get interupted with work, school, travel time, etc while promoting placing the spud as soon as possible.

It was suggested earlier that giving points for the number of caches the TB was dropped at would be a good way of scoring. It is easy to count and modivates the teams to grab it as soon as it is posted. Easy scoring, modivation to move it. I think it is a good combination.

Of course I am very much against changing any rules once a game has started. That has always really bothered me. :unsure: Something to consider for the next potato race.

I'd like to mention I was incorrect about my assertion of the game experience balance and I apologize for my assertion. I didn't look at the previous team members closely enough to realize North has two such members. :unsure:

I don't think Team South has a single member who played last year on the list... or rather, no one who actually received credit for placing the potato. (Who knows about the background noise - there seems to be a bunch of it this year!)

Man, what a bunch of n00b's!

-=-

michelle

Who knows about the background noise

I did apologize for my assertions. :unsure:

Even though it sounds like background noise, keep in mind as ref or player, Travisl was a part of last year's gaming and is more intimate with the rules and how they can be used.

I still think my suggestion was a good idea though.

...to make sure there is at least one experienced game player on each side. That way, there is an experienced consultant on both rules and game play on both sides. Then the ref can really handle the technical interpretation instead of handling questions that seemingly have an obvious answer.

gaviidae:

Vince Lombardi:

Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time.

Vince Lombardi:

Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is.

And finally,

Vince Lombardi:

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.

Plotting, treachery, deceit, espionage, misdirection, covert operations in the dead of night, accompanied by heavy use of cutting edge technology... Oh, how I do love it so!

(Especially when it happens north of the border.)

It certainly is proving interesting. Way to go North for the quick grab!

You guys sure like to honld onto your spuds. :mad: Let's keep this potato hopping  :huh:

:bad: Oh yeah sure. From the team whom held it for over 72 hours... for point gain. :blink:

Don't worry... we'll let go of it when we feel it is appropriate. :blink: Unless yer afraid of the point gain we're given ya? :huh:

Edited by TotemLake
Now, now, You guys are the ones who've been holding it! Might talk to GEMs about that.

But GEM's was doing it to rack up points for his team. While you have the "potato" the other team is racking up points.

Just wanted to make sure you weren't confused on how the scoring worked. :bad:

Now, now,  You guys are the ones who've been holding it!  Might talk to GEMs about that.

But GEM's was doing it to rack up points for his team. While you have the "potato" the other team is racking up points.

Just wanted to make sure you weren't confused on how the scoring worked. :bad:

Oh we know how the points work. Think of it as long range planning. We are not that far behind. The game is not always won in the first few plays.

Hmmm, looks like the 'Rebs have a Criminal and his mouth piece on their side... :bad:

I'm in for the 'North' if you guys still need more help from a FederalWay resident. At a minimum, I had a few ideas to pass along if you have enough bodies and you wanted to throw some technology at the problem. Drop me a line via e-mail.

Hey southerners. I didn't know the north had a plan. If their plan includes holding on to mr. potato head to give us more points then I for one support them in their plan. Hold on to that puppy as long as you want. I will no longer trouble you about moving the game along. We'll just sit back and let you win it for us.

Thanks for the help. :bad:

GEMs, assuming you are right, we have no chance; what is the gratification of playing?

I agree with vds (see rules post) in that early control is the name of this game. North missed an early grab which sets the stage for the rest of the game! Being a new player, I may missing something! If so, why doesn't the south team let the spud be moved into their territory and then show us how to it could be regained :unsure:

... why doesn't the south team let the spud be moved into their territory and then show us how to it could be regained  :unsure:

Nice try, runhills.

Now, this may be a moot question, but what defines the North and South over here on the Penninsula? Is that a particular latitude line that the red line runs on from the Mason County line to the middle of Clovos Passage? Just curious. It might come into play sometime.

Edit: Oops, sorry. I just answered my own question. Pierce is South, and Kitsap is North.

Edited by Ajetpilot