Ultimate Bad Trade List

TeamK-9

I spent about 5-10 minutes searching for any topic with keyword "bad trade" and "bad trades" and a bunch of other stuff and found nothing. Thus, I'm posting this, what are some of the worst trades you've ever seen on a cache page that people have actually had the guts to log.

I just read one a little while ago that read like this:

".....Took the travel bug and will move it west this weekend. Left 6 cents."

This is a cool game y'all got goin here. Decided to try my hand at finding one of those cache thingies and I found a gold coin in the first one!! Looked around on the website for more gold coins but I guess they are kinda rare. Feel like I done hit the jackpot. Think I'll keep this gold coin and see if I can find some more stuff! Left a Snickers bar wrapper in the cache.
..., I'm posting this, what are some of the worst trades you've ever seen on a cache page that people have actually had the guts to log.

Grabbing a TB is not considered a "trade". Therefore, anything left in a cache during the taking of the TB is not a trade - technically, it would be a bonus. :rolleyes:

..., I'm posting this, what are some of the worst trades you've ever seen on a cache page that people have actually had the guts to log.

Grabbing a TB is not considered a "trade". Therefore, anything left in a cache during the taking of the TB is not a trade - technically, it would be a bonus. :rolleyes:

Seriously??!?!?!

I was under the impession that TBs were like sig items and were considered to have a little bit of value, or like the value of whatever the TB actually is, I mean, I guess I don't expect THAT much, but I think it's worth more than six cents...

Seriously??!?!?!

I was under the impession that TBs were like sig items and were considered to have a little bit of value, or like the value of whatever the TB actually is, I mean, I guess I don't expect THAT much, but I think it's worth more than six cents...

Gallahad got it right. A tb is private property placed in public trust. When you grab it, it's not yours. I try to trade tb for tb whenever possible.

Sn :P:lol: gans

Seriously??!?!?!

I just retrieved a TB from our own cache, to fulfill the owners request for pictures of the TB and local brewpubs. Did the pictures and then put TB into a brand new cache we just hid and registered the moves on the TB site. From what I have read on the forums this is acceptable, and we got a nice note from the owners of the TB today thanking us for the neat pictures. :lol:

This is a cool game y'all got goin here. Decided to try my hand at finding one of those cache thingies and I found a gold coin in the first one!! Looked around on the website for more gold coins but I guess they are kinda rare. Feel like I done hit the jackpot. Think I'll keep this gold coin and see if I can find some more stuff! Left a Snickers bar wrapper in the cache.

Stunod had it close but it would actually have sounded like this:

This hyar is a right fine game y'all got goin hyar. Decided t'try mah han' at findin' one of them cache thin'ies an' ah foun' a gold coin in th' fust one!! Fry mah hide! Looked aroun' on th' website fo' mo'e gold coins but ah guess they is kinda rare. Feel like ah done hit th' jackpot. Figger I'll keep this hyar gold coin an' see eff'n ah can find some mo'e stuff! Fry mah hide! Lef' a Snickers bar wrapper in th' cache.

Ummmm, Dead Monkey???

I hear JoeFrog trades those;

Quoting Joe Frog:

Well, I'd usually say FROG is the obvious answer, but you know what?

I like monkeys.

The pet store was selling them for 5¢ each. I thought that was odd since they were normally a couple thousand dollars each. I decided not to look a gift horse in the mouth.

I bought 200.

I like monkeys.

I took my 200 monkeys home.

I have a big car.

I let one of them drive. His name was Sigmund.

He was retarded. In fact, none of them were really bright. They kept punching themselves in their genitals.

I laughed.

Then they punched my genitals.

I stopped laughing.

I herded them into my apartment.

They didn't adapt very well to their new environment.

They would screech, hurl themselves off of the couch at high speeds and slam into the wall.

Although humorous at first, the spectacle lost its novelty halfway into its third hour.

Two hours later I found out why all the monkeys were so inexpensive: they all died.

No apparent reason.

They all just sort of dropped dead.

Kind odd like when you buy a goldfish and it dies five hours later.

dadgum cheap monkeys.

I didn't know what to do. There were 200 dead monkeys lying all over my apartment. On the bed, in the dresser, hanging from my bookcase.

It looked like I had 200 throw rugs.

I tried to flush one down the toilet.

It didn't work. It got stuck.

Then I had one dead, wet monkey and 199 dead, dry monkeys.

I tried pretending that they were just stuffed animals.

That worked for a while.

That is until they began to decompose.

Then it started to smell real bad.

I had to pee but there was a dead monkey in the toilet and I didn't want to call the plumber.

I was embarrassed.

I tried to slow down the decomposition by freezing them.

Unfortunately, there was only enough room for two monkeys at a time, so I had to change them every 30 seconds.

I also had to eat all the food in the freezer so it didn't all go bad.

I tried burning them.

Little did I know my bed was flammable.

I had to extinguish the fire.

Then I had one dead, wet monkey in my toilet, two dead, frozen monkeys in my freezer, and 197 dead, charred monkeys in a pile on my bed.

The odor wasn't improving.

I became agitated at my inability to dispose of my monkeys or use the bathroom.

I severely beat one of my monkeys.

I felt better.

I tried throwing them way but the garbage man said that the city wasn't allowed to dispose of charred primates.

I told him that I had a wet one.

He couldn't take that one either.

I didn't bother asking about the frozen ones.

I finally arrived at a solution.

I gave them out as Christmas gifts.

My friends didn't know quite what to say.

They pretended that they like them but I could tell they were lying.

Ingrates.

So I punched them in the genitals.

I like monkeys.

I guess I'll have to put them in a cache.

Joel (joefrog)

End quote.

All these months and it still slays me.

I should clairify this a bit more.

A sig item is something that is left for the next geocacher to keep (or trade or whatever).

A travel bug is a item that moves from cache to cache with a tracking tag that lets people say where it is and therefore lets anyone follow the path of the bug as it travels.

If you pick up a travel bug it's with the intention of moving it on it's way. You don't own the travel bug any more than the UPS driver owns your packages.

Once again, I'm going off topic with the travel bug thing, but I just wanted to make another comment.

By what I said with them being like sig items, I didn't mean you kept them, I just meant along the lines of their value. But is it normally considered that TBs really don't need to be traded even or up?

Edited by TeamK-9

The purpose of a TB is to move around as much as possible in any direction, unless the owner has a specific mission they want the bug to accomplish (see the individual TB's page for that info)

If I have a TB with me when I find another one, I'll trade the TB's, but if I don't have a Tb with me, I still don't hesitate to take it (unless maybe it's a TB that I've found before) Again accompanied by and unless... unless I know what the mission is and it appears to be majorly off course.

So no, I don't think that it is necessary to trade anything for the TB. I would assume the owner of the TB is only interested in its movement, not whether you traded something when you retrieved it from the cache. (Even trade or otherwise)

Grab the little guys whenever you see them, even if you have nothing to trade, but make sure you get them circulating back into the world in a reasonable amount of time.

I only trade for a tb if removing the tb leaves the cache pertineer empty. I also will remove trading items if necessary to make room for a tb. I hate it when I have to do thet and only do so if I know I'm not gonna find a bigger cache soon and I've had the tb too long already.

This COULD be an example of a very bad trade... or a too small cache... or a too big tb...

Thanks, I needed that.....walking under trees (even in the rain) rejuvenates me. What a nice cache! I took the brass matchbox. Even though I no longer am able to backpack I have a purpose for this item. I am embarrassed that I did not have with me something of equal value to leave. I left a few toothpicks.

Incidentally, looks like I was first to the cache.

And they weren't even wrapped. Just loose in the ammo can.

I just found 28 cents in change in my cache....read the logs, and no one said anything about emptying their pocket change into it. Also read the logs and noted that fully 3/4 of the "traded" items weren't actually in the cache, again with no logs stating someone else had picked them up. One cacher mentioned taking a trade item and leaving it in another cache 30 miles away. The next person to find the cache found that item a few feet from the cache lying in the dirt. So, I'm thinking maybe that item actually grew legs and walked back to my cache, but expired shortly before actually getting back into it. :rolleyes:

I just found 28 cents in change in my cache....read the logs, and no one said anything about emptying their pocket change into it.  Also read the logs and noted that fully 3/4 of the "traded" items weren't actually in the cache, again with no logs stating someone else had picked them up.  One cacher mentioned taking a trade item and leaving it in another cache 30 miles away.  The next person to find the cache found that item a few feet from the cache lying in the dirt.  So, I'm thinking maybe that item actually grew legs and walked back to my cache, but expired shortly before actually getting back into it. :lol:

Psssttt, wanna buy a McToy. I got a whole trunk load. Never been used and only dropped once. :rolleyes:

Edited by ChrisCindy
I just found 28 cents in change in my cache....read the logs, and no one said anything about emptying their pocket change into it. Also read the logs and noted that fully 3/4 of the "traded" items weren't actually in the cache, again with no logs stating someone else had picked them up. One cacher mentioned taking a trade item and leaving it in another cache 30 miles away. The next person to find the cache found that item a few feet from the cache lying in the dirt. So, I'm thinking maybe that item actually grew legs and walked back to my cache, but expired shortly before actually getting back into it. :lol:

Maybe I won't stop by after work and visit your cache after all :rolleyes:

I just found 28 cents in change in my cache....read the logs, and no one said anything about emptying their pocket change into it.  Also read the logs and noted that fully 3/4 of the "traded" items weren't actually in the cache, again with no logs stating someone else had picked them up.  One cacher mentioned taking a trade item and leaving it in another cache 30 miles away.  The next person to find the cache found that item a few feet from the cache lying in the dirt.  So, I'm thinking maybe that item actually grew legs and walked back to my cache, but expired shortly before actually getting back into it. :lol:

Maybe I won't stop by after work and visit your cache after all :P

Hey, I just restocked it, and it's got some pretty good stuff in it again. One of the best is the gc.com window cling. But, if ya do, ya gotta stop by the house and see my kitty...heheheheheheh....he's been waiting for you! :rolleyes:

You know what we need? An ability to rate users based on what they leave in caches. B)

In theory this sounds like a great idea. In reality it wouldn't work because people would just lie about what they left. Who would actually check the cache right after they logged to make sure they weren't lying?

Besides, what real purpose would the rating serve anyways besides bragging rights? If anything, the people that trade down would probably just keep track of all the people that trade up and go raid the cache after they log. ;)

I say keep it just the way it is.

We found this one after some pretty heavy duty bushwhacking. To make it easier for the next finder, we chopped out all vegetation 30 feet around the cache. We felled two large trees that might be a nuisance as well. We then triple wrapped it in a shopping bag, a kitchen garbage bag, and a brown hefty sack. After that, we tied a trail of ribbons, not more than three feet apart, leading from the road to the cache. I wasn’t sure if all that would be sufficient, so I ran to the hardware store for some day-glow orange paint and repainted the can. With the little paint that remained, I sprayed a large arrow on the barren ground pointing to the cache. Took a $20 gold coin (1887) and left a range golf ball that should be good for at least five more hits.

What a jerk...

I don't know about the trade down, it was not logged, but this my trade.

Took a cigarette and the hard candy, left a Pumba Key Chain and I AM travel bug (TB2D44).

Actually, that was quite the cache to get to, my log from January 12th, 2003, hey, almost my 1 year anniversary of that little adventure.

Jematique #1

I still don't like ice, I am guessing since cigarettes are so expensive here, I traded down.

I often read in the logs that some people take out things worth some $ and put in their sig items worth only a few cents. When you ask them about this they say that this is their sig item and it is much more worth than the thing they took out just because it is a very personal item and anyone should be proud if they find it in a cache.

But the worst are people taking out valuable things without logging.

Ummmm, Dead Monkey???

I hear JoeFrog trades those;

LOL... even after this week being the first time I've visited the forums in ages, that one still comes up. Hah!

There's someone around here that leaves samples of the nastiest body spray you can think of, called "Axe." We've started calling them the "Axe Bandit."

I often read in the logs that some people take out things worth some $ and put in their sig items worth only a few cents. When you ask them about this they say that this is their sig item and it is much more worth than the thing they took out just because it is a very personal item and anyone should be proud if they find it in a cache.

But the worst are people taking out valuable things without logging.

When I leave a signature item these days, I seldom take anything unless it's a CITO container, etc. And for the record, my signature items -- "Joefrog's Famous Marshmallow Guns" -- worth a bit more than a few cents!

.....Took the travel bug and will move it west this weekend. Left 6 cents

I haven't been through the responses, so I'm sorry if this has been addressed. But travel bugs are a separate game and not really trade items. If I saw someone who said they took a TB and left nothing, I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as they moved the travel bug along, or helped it towards its goal.

But yes, I've seen many bad trades that I'm surprised that people actually admit to. One of the more popular ones is where people think trading 5 junk items for one good one is even. "Took a Mini Mag Lite, left an acorn, a losing lottery ticket, a beer bottle cap I found on the way in, a penny and a toy soldier from my kid's toy box that was chewed by the dog"

Edited by briansnat
Grabbing a TB is not considered a "trade".  Therefore, anything left in a cache during the taking of the TB is not a trade  -  technically, it would be a bonus.  B)

I'm a newbie still picking up the jargon... At first glance, I briefly wondered how one could get Tuberculosis from a geocache...

;)

Grabbing a TB is not considered a "trade".  Therefore, anything left in a cache during the taking of the TB is not a trade  -  technically, it would be a bonus.  B)

I'm a newbie still picking up the jargon... At first glance, I briefly wondered how one could get Tuberculosis from a geocache...

;)

LOL!

Then there's the "BM"........which stands for Benchmark. Still not sure how you get two a two letter abbreviation from one word though.

;)

That would really be a bad trade. TB means travel bug, an item with a little numbered metal plate (travel bug dog tag) attached to it. The item travels from cache to cache and can be traced by entering its number into the cg.com website.