Memory Map Pda Downloads

For those of you who use Memory Map Pocket Navigator to load OS maps on a Pocket PC here's a little trick straight from Memory Map to speed up transferring maps to the PDA..............................

Quote:

Although it has not yet been implemented as a supported feature, there is a way to send visible chart portions to your PDA via a card reader.

To do this, please follow these steps:

. When Memory-Map reports the size of the files for transfer to the PDA after using the menu option PDA > Send Visible Chart Portion to PDA, leave that dialog open, and switch to Windows Explorer.

. The files waiting to be transferred to the PDA are in a temporary folder, usually \Windows\Temp\Memory-Map-OS on Win98, or \Documents and settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp\Memory-Map-OS on W2k and XP.

. Select all the files and copy them to either a card reader or to another directory on your PC. When you have copied all the files, you can switch back to Memory-Map and cancel the download to the PDA. When you cancel, the files are deleted from the temp folder.

Regards,

Simon Jenkins

Technical & Sales Support

EVO Distribution Limited, including Memory-Map Europe www.memory-map.co.uk

Hey it works :rolleyes:

Well done Hornet for finding this tip, The time taken to transfer maps to the PDA has been my only critisicm of memory map up to now. Especially as I went and bought a card reader specifically to do this and then found it was not possible.

Many thanks

Mike

COPYING TO CARD READER FOR DUMMIES LIKE ME

In Memory Map, get the map to the size that you want to transfer to your card. WHAT YOU SEE ON THE SCREEN IS WHAT YOU WILL GET !!!

Now click on PDA on the top bar, now click on Send visible to PDA.

It will now tell you the file size that you are going to send to your card SD, CF, etc.

leave that as it is now.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now right click on the start button, ( bottom left of your screen ), now left click on explore.

Now click the + sign at the side of C drive.

Now click the + sign at the side of the TEMP file, and in there you should see a temp. Memory Map file that has been made the exact ame size as the one you created earlier.

Thats the little baby that you now want to copy to your card reader.

So now all that is left to do is to insert your SD or COMPACT FLASH card etc. into your card reader.

What I do now is to right click on the file and press COPY then go to the Control panel and right click and press paste, then drag it into the card reader drive. E,or F, or G, or what ever drive the card is in, there are several ways of doing this.

All that this whole process does is to put the map on your card in a fraction of the time it would normaly take.

Hope this makes all sense, it has been written in Queens English which was Invented in NOTTINGHAMSHIRE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I run ME, so other opp. systems XP or 98 etc. will find the TEMP file where HORNET ABOVE, POSTED THIS TOPIC.

PRAISE BE TO THE HORNET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AS HE HAS SAVED US ALL LOADS OF TIME.

Sorry for any confusion.

When I read Bob's note I couldn't understand how he thought I was a Memory Map distributor :D Having re-read my original posting I now see what's going on. What I did was to copy and past a reply I got from Memory Map technical support which included a signature line.

I'm pleased that someone was sharp enough to pick this up and comment :D:D Now if your eyes are that sharp Bob, your cache find total should start shooting up!!!! :D<_<B):D

I'm relieved those moderators didn't pull me up over it :D:D:)

Edited by The Hornet

OK here's a useful (I hope) contribution to this thread, after my last facile effort.

If you are using Windows XP, the Temp file may be "hidden"

This means you can't find it if you follow the instructions in Peter's original posting (the Memory Map quote)

When you right click on the start menu therefore, the Temp folder will not be visible at the suggested location: \Documents and settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp\Memory-Map-OS

There are a couple of ways to make hidden folders visible:

1) To make the folder visible, click on the Start menu, right click on Search.

Click on "All files and folders" in the next window.

Type Memory-Map-OS into the "All or part of the file name" box AND (important) also open up the "More advanced options" setting - then tick the "Search hidden files and folders" option.

Ensure that you are looking in the C drive and not just searchimg the Start Menu (see Look in: box)

Click on search, and you are taken directly to the folder.

2)It is also possible to view the hidden folders directly and find the Memory-Map_OS folder this way:

Right click on the Start menu, then Explore. In the toolbar click on Tools, then folder options. Then go to the View tab and in Advanced settings, select the radio button "show hidden files and folders (Click OK afterwards to close this window.)

Either way, the folder containing the file(s) is now visible.

Then copy and paste, or move the folder contents to your card. Copying this way to my SD card took about 20 seconds for a 13MB file rather than the much longer 15 minutes via the PDA link!!

Single card readers can be purchased very cheaply - 7 quid for my SD reader plus p and p

Multiple slot beasties cost slightly more and will do CF as well as SD plus Memory sticks etc.

If only anybody had asked :) ......I've been using this method for months.....Emailed Memory Map at the time to confirm if there was any other way of doing this, reply was not for this version 2003.....any difference with 2004?

As a sideline, must praise Garmin service dept for sending me a new Vista free of charge after our last one went wonky after 18 months(dodgy screen & thumbstick).

Will reach the ton one day.....been sitting at 98 for ages.