Mac Os X Mapping Software

Okay folks, I did a search for Mac mapping software in the forums and found nothing.

I'm looking for a street mapping software package for Mac OS X. Anything is fine, but it has to be street level. I've looked at National Geographic TOPO! but that is pretty useless to me as I want to do driving directions from location to location so I can more efficiently plan caching trips.

Virtual PC and windows apps are NOT an option.

Not really what you're looking for, but while we're on the topic of GPS/Mapping software for Mac, check out Terrabrowser for Mac OS X. It downloads ariel photos (and topo maps) from TerraServer and lets you overlay geocaches, so you can see an ariel photo of your town with the caches marked.

It's not a good as it's PC counterpart (USAPhotoMaps), but for $10, it's a good little app.

Not really what you're looking for, but while we're on the topic of GPS/Mapping software for Mac, check out Terrabrowser for Mac OS X. It downloads ariel photos (and topo maps) from TerraServer and lets you overlay geocaches, so you can see an ariel photo of your town with the caches marked.

It's not a good as it's PC counterpart (USAPhotoMaps), but for $10, it's a good little app.

I have been using this latley and would highly recomend it and as soon as I get back to work i'm sOOOO buying it(shareware)

also don't forget it can do topo maps too

Edited by ralann

Well, here's what I think of it...

Route 66 is a very convienent product for road trips. For real time caching it isn't very useful though. You can't load waypoints into it, you can't type in a Lat/Lon and have it show it to you. The only way to view lat/lon is by using the 'ruler' tool and mousing over the map. I'm disappointed in it as a geocaching tool. I was hoping I could import tracklogs and the like, but that isn't available either. The maps are decent for driving directions. The GPS link-up is cool, but the refresh is SLOW, it always has me about 3 blocks away from where I actually am located.

I would recommend this as a product for planning how to drive to the cache parking area, but not for cache intensive ventures. It simply doesn't have all the useful features of the PC counterparts.

Yeah, I've got MacGPS Pro as well :P

Does MacGPS provide support for importing tracklogs from the eTrex series of GPSrs? I'd love to get MacGPS Pro, but without a demo I don't want to drop $40. I want specific features and I'd like to know what I"m getting into before I spend money like I did with Route 66. I've read their website, but there are no screenshots or information that is beyong the "marketing-speak".

Any info would be great.

Does MacGPS provide support for importing tracklogs from the eTrex series of GPSrs? I'd love to get MacGPS Pro, but without a demo I don't want to drop $40.

From http://www.macgpspro.com/html/newhtml/macg...o/features.html

"Supports all Garmin and Magellan handheld and fixed-mount GPS receivers with displays (except those receivers which only have a USB interface) for upload and download of Waypoints (with their Icons), Proximity Waypoints, Routes, Track Logs, and Satellite Almanacs. All coordinate transfers produce a map on the screen of the data transferred. All are saved in editable, tab-delimited text files, allowing easy data exchange with spreadsheets, databases, text editors, and other mapping programs."

Which GPS units can you connect to your Mac and how do you connect them?

Any NMEA receiver with a serial or Bluetooth connection. Macs which only have USB can use either a Serial-to-USB or Bluetooth-to-USB adaptor. Bluetooth only available in Mac OS X. I use a Geko 201 with a Keyspan USA-19W High Speed USB-to-Serial adaptor.

HTH,

Alex