Nail A Tree?

......... The soft green tape used to train shrubberies, no wait shrubs, would be a better choice. It is intended for this application and will expand with tree growth thus preventing the bark from being cut. ..................

I still say the stuff intended to tie trees to stakes would be the best option.

This comment seems to have been ignored while a single OT comment got quite a response. Huummmm wonder whats up with that?

OT: I have been camping on my own for around 35 years, own two dutch ovens, a colman stove, a primus stove, four tents three backpacks etc. etc. etc. On winter camps I bring firewood with me. I just feel that today in most campgrounds fires are more trouble than they are worth. Gathering firewood removes organic matter from the forest floor. But then again I live in a very popular camping destination area. Your area might be different.

A cache I recently did was hanging on the side of a tree. Not a clue, but the cache itself. I was in a flat tupperware type of container. The container was in a mesh bag about the same size as the container. Then the container and mesh bag were hanging by it's draw cord on a broken limb jutting out from the tree. Clever hide. Most people would be looking lower than it was...

A few responses to things I've been reading here:

We have a cache that uses a painted item of wood nailed to a tree about 20 feet off the ground. I can't be much more specific for fear of giving away some of the mystery to the cache. Suffice it to say that I don't think anybody else is going to wonder its purpose and if they did,they would have to get a nice tall ladder to mess with it. I don't think there'd be too much of a problem if you sank a galvanized nail into a tree in the middle of a forest for someone with a GPSr to find.

Cool campfire shot:

mosesstick.sized.jpg

Burn it all...well, in New England, we have more than enough crap decomposing in the woods, I guess, because I always light a fire when I camp and the trees seem to survive.

This may be dangerously off topic, and potentially a volitile subject, but I think its a mischaracterization to state that environmentalists "spike" trees in order to kill/maim/hurt the operator of the chain saw.

The purpose of tree spiking, as I understand it, is to PREVENT the trees from being logged. Killing/maiming/hurting one logger doesn't usually accomplish that objective. The idea, again, as I understand it, is to spike the trees, blaze a huge area of trees, and then let the proper authorities know the spiking has been done.

All in an attempt NOT to have the trees cut down.

Now, of course, there could very well be the rogue tree spiker or three whose objective may be to harm the loggers. However, I think the above-referenced plan is most commonly toted by environmentalists, no matter how extreme.

Lastly, with the caveat that I haven't followed this topic in a while, last time I checked there was not one logger tree-spike related injury on record. Again, this may have changed in the last several years.

Pan

OT: I have been camping on my own for around 35 years, own two dutch ovens, a colman stove, a primus stove, four tents three backpacks etc. etc. etc. On winter camps I bring firewood with me.

Even more OT...

dutchoven? There is a such a thing? I thought they where when you pass gas under the covers and hold the covers over your bedmate's head

Self moderated.......way too off topic.

Happens to me all the time Sparky! I feel your pain. :lol:

Did I mention that my original questions have been answered and I only left the topic open so the idea of other solutions could be explored for the benefit of others?

Why, no....no you didn't.....until just now.

And is that explored or exploited? :rolleyes:

OT: I have been camping on my own for around 35 years, own two dutch ovens, a colman stove, a primus stove, four tents three backpacks  etc. etc. etc. On winter camps I bring firewood with me.

Even more OT...

dutchoven? There is a such a thing? I thought they where when you pass gas under the covers and hold the covers over your bedmate's head

I never hang my dutch oven by a nail on a tree.

OT : These are the best outdoor cooking untensil there are. I use mine in the backyard firepit too.

3-4 # pot roast

3 or 4 spuds

2 large carrots

1 large onion

1 can tomatoes

s&p (not the index sparky) to taste

cover and bake moderate heat fro 4 to 5 hrs

I've never heard of the under the cover thing?

Happens to me all the time Sparky! I feel your pain. :rolleyes:

Did I mention that my original questions have been answered and I only left the topic open so the idea of other solutions could be explored for the benefit of others?

so I'm guessing you don't want my peach cobbler reciepe (sp)?

Happens to me all the time Sparky! I feel your pain. :lol:

so I'm guessing you don't want my peach cobbler reciepe (sp)?

Oh, man....peach or apple or cherry cobbler cooked over an open fire in a Dutch oven.....mmmmmmmmmmmmm......................dang, that's good eatin'!!! :rolleyes:

This may be dangerously off topic, and potentially a volitile subject, but I think its a mischaracterization to state that environmentalists "spike" trees in order to kill/maim/hurt the operator of the chain saw.

The purpose of tree spiking, as I understand it, is to PREVENT the trees from being logged. Killing/maiming/hurting one logger doesn't usually accomplish that objective. The idea, again, as I understand it, is to spike the trees, blaze a huge area of trees, and then let the proper authorities know the spiking has been done.

Now, of course, there could very well be the rogue tree spiker or three whose objective may be to harm the loggers. However, I think the above-referenced plan is most commonly toted by environmentalists, no matter how extreme.

Lastly, with the caveat that I haven't followed this topic in a while, last time I checked there was not one logger tree-spike related injury on record. Again, this may have changed in the last several years.

Pan

Not to get even more off topic, but...

I refered to them as "Eco Terrorists".

I did a quick Google search and I found one injury, George Alexander. If you do a search you will find some heavily biased webpages on both sides of tree spiking.

Campfires are a large part of the experience of camping for me. At the last Louisiana campout event, the fuel was brought to the campout. We were roasting a pig, so we needed a good bit of it. There is something about a campfire that just ices the cake. You get the feeling that ancient people might have chosen that very spot in a bygone age to gather around a fire for warmth and community. It really helps to just forget about everything, and live in the moment.

For backcountry camping that requires a long hike, it's much more practical to just bring a small portable stove. Just imagine humping in three days worth of firewood on your back.

No, a single nail will normally not harm the tree. Metal tags are attached to trees all the time by foresters, researchers, etc. but there is a right and wrong way.

Use an aluminum nail and tag. They are soft enough that if the tree eventually ends up being cut the saw will cut through it without damaging the saw. Copper or coated nails can poison some trees. Sometimes trees react to the nail and loosens and 'pushes out' the nail. Or may stain the wood, lowering its value. Aluminum will not do any of these.

Do not bury the nail to the head. Leave about 3/4 -1 inch sticking out to allow for the tree to grow. Otherwise the tree will eventually grow around the head and the tag.

The standard height for attaching tags to trees is about eye level above the ground measured from the uphill side. You can place the tag toward whichever side the viewer will most likely approach, but use this height (which may be 8-10 feet above the ground on the downhill side if the slope is steep). If this is not feasible, adjust as needed.

To avoid setting precedent and being copycatted by someone who does not know how do not use a nail unless no other option is available.

I've nailed a couple birdhouses on trees and it doesn't seem to hurt the trees.

You mean you couldn't actually hear them scream? :P

:rolleyes:

Question: If trees screamed, would you still cut them down?

Answer: Yes, if they were screaming for no apparent reason.

:lol:

That sounds familiar...

Campfires are a large part of the experience of camping for me.

I agree. Campfires are fun and an experience. I have learned that using white gas cooks better and faster, but nothing compares to a good cup of campfire coffee. You know the kind, about 1/2 cup of coffee grounds, a pinch of Copenhagen and boil for about 4 hours with a dash of ash for flavor.

I refered to them as "Eco Terrorists".

Out in the Pacific Northwest, the "ET"s are now going from the forests to the sawmills. It is unfortunate that some people are acting in this fashion and must result to primeval ways of showing their displeasure.

It is interesting to note that most the "ET's are young, unemployed and come from wealthy families.

Now back on topic, can you use a benchmark or control monument to do the same thing? I know in the surveying world, witness trees were a common way of verifying a monument, but it is falling out of favor. Make the cache description look somewhat like a joint benchmark/geocache. For example, find the Donation Land Corner and add the Claim number to XX°YY'ZZZ or travel X feet in XX°YY'ZZZ from the DLC and then use a sign to give additional clues as to the distance.

All of the US has been surveyed and has these available.

I've used "twist ties" to attach tags to branches, but for the last multi I put together like this - I screwed the tags to either dead logs (already fallen), fence posts, or dead sections of trees.

Forget about the trees - what about the GRASS! What about all those cachers with their size 12's stomping all over the grass. That's GOTTA be painful for the poor defenseless grass plants! :rolleyes:

Pan

Don't use nail if you don't have to. I've been a timber cutter and my dad just retired from 30 yrs of cutting. Nails 8p or larger generally will not hurt a logger unless he hits one while in the middle of cutting his backcut then it will dull or even ruin the chain. This is the most dangerous time while felling a tree, he wants to cut the wood as fast as possible and get the tree down before some wind can blow it over backwards. having to use a very dull chain or worse stop and change chains puts his life at great risk. I've been there and had trees blow over backwards or sideways or even split apart while sawing. putting the nails higher may still get in his way if after the tree is down it needs to be recut a little higher due to defects in the wood. Eco terrorists use spikes and these will not damage a chainsaw but will cost the cutter $40 to $50 to replace.

I don't know if the trees scream because I wear hearing protection and chainsaws are too loud.

I have 80 acres of timber, most of which are "loggable" trees, mostly walnut, oak, hackberry, and hard maple.

You have timber (plural) in Wichita? Color me impressed. :rolleyes:

-E

Nope, closest you'll find to that is when they yell it while cuttting out more hedgerow/windblock/antierosion shelter belts to make more fake-lake housing developments.

My timber is back in Eastern Kansas, south of KC about 90 miles. :lol:

Edited by Sparky-Watts

WELL I HAVE BEEN A TREE HUGGER FOR QUITE A WHILE AND HAVE ALSO WORKED AT THE LUMBER MILL A FRIEND OF MINE HAS,BOTH EXTREMES HERE.

MODERATION IS THE KEY TO EVERYTHING.

WE HAVE HIT NAILS,SPIKES,FENCE,TREE STAND STEPS AND ALL KINDS OF METAL IN TREES.

I DO NOT THINK 1 MORE NAIL WILL HURT A THING.

SURVEYORS PUT THEM IN TREES HERE EVERY DAY WITH THEIR WITNEES TREES AND TAGS.

WITH SHINERS TO MARK SURVEY POINTS

AND AND AND AND AND 1 MORE NAIL??? :rolleyes:

Perspective????

How many Geocacachers are there?

How many of those Geocachers actually hide caches?

How many of those Geocachers are actually going to nail something to a tree?

Now, the biggy......... HOW MANY TREES ARE THERE????

This is a tempest in a teapot.

Please go nail the coordinates to that darn tree and put this thread out of it's misery...LOL.

:DB):rolleyes::lol::P

You will definitely not hurt the tree in any way, but the loggers don't like their chain saws digging into nails. Down south, we lease large tracks of land owned by timber companies for hunting. The only nails we can drive into trees are the ones that have large yellow "Posted" signs hanging on them; that way, they are easily visualized and can be taken out prior to logging. However, there are ignorant people out there, and putting a non-harmful nail into a tree is not politically correct right now. Might I suggest a short length of 1" nylon webbing belted around the tree? You could use an inconspicuous color (camo, brown, green, black) and tighten it with the necessary plastic hardware. It shouldn't cost more than $1-2. Then, you could secure your metal tag to the webbing with a small piece of rope, twist-tie or locking zip-tie.

Could or would it upset the land manager?

Depending on the manager I would say yes. I wanted to use a tack to secure a tag down for a multicache (similar to what you brought up). But I asked the city parks director about it, and he said no, they didn't want any damage to the trees. So unless you have cleared it with someone who oversees the area, don't do it.

I would suggest either just hiding a micro with the coords (what I did), or putting a sticker/tag on an existing post or sign (if there are such things around).

Small and short nails aren't that bad for loggers and saws. It's the bigger12 and 16 penny or spikes that do the worst harm. A tag will stay on wothout putting a nail several inches into the wood.

Although I come from a logging family and have cut trees myself, here in the N.W. I think The pace of harvest should slow down a little bit.