What And Where

Cptn. Jack

Hawk 4 in Greensboro, NC on June 30, 2001.

I had read about Geocaching and really wanted to try it out. So I borrowed a friends older than dirt GPSr. I mean this thing was old! It was about the size and weight of a brick and wouldn't hold a signal in the middle of a field on a clear day.

We started down the trail with the GPSr locking and unlocking on a signal, until we came to a small foot bridge. Now we had a good lock and the arrow was pointing across the bridge, only trouble was the bridge was being guarded by a water snake that was very impressive in size. Not having a hiking staff (an idea was born!) we looked around for a stick to move the snake out of the way. Now here we stand in the middle of the woods and not a loose stick to be found. :D

It took 10 mins of searching before I found a stick bigger than the snake to encourage him to give up the idea of being the bridge guardian. Then the hunt was on! I was looking for the cache. My wife who is terrified of snakes was now devoting all of her senses to avoiding another encounter rather than looking for the cache.

We spent the next hour tearing up 2 acres of woods trying to find this thing. I took a misstep and rolled down a ridge. After getting up and making sure my wife hadn't seen the unmanly act, :rolleyes: I crawled up the otherside and rested on a log. While I was looking to see if the GPSr had a signal yet, it didn't, I looked down and there was the cache!

I yelled at my wife who was about 200 yards away that I found it. She started over and promptly rolled down the same ridge. :rolleyes: I of course laughed at her for being clumsy. Our second hunt was even worse. I don't know why we continued to pursue this silly game.

El Diablo

The first one I looked for is different than the first one I found!

I looked for the first one the previous day, and missed the totally obvious hiding spot. Only in hindsight is it totally obvious (but not a typical "hiding place"). I figured it just HAD to be hidden much more difficult than it was. Now I look everywhere. The first one I actually found (the next day, right before I went back to re-seek the DNF) was a fun cache, I remember the hunt well. :rolleyes:

My first cache was Cindy's Little Secret. It was on July 10 2002. I remember it was or had rained. I took a DQ Blizzard toy and left a purple carabiner. Sadly I lost the DQ Blizzard Toy when I totaled my truck. Other than that, I have just about all the items I have ever found in caches. I plan on building a shelf of some sort and displaying all my finds. Yeah I know, give me the big "L" sign :rolleyes:

Well, the first cache I found has been archived. I wasn't registered to the site at the time, so I never logged it online. I found it with a friend over a year before I registered, and I have my first trade, a hot wheels oscar meyer weenie mobile from that very cache. The first cache I ever looked for is still active, and gets finds steadily. The first "official" find is also still active.

First find LakeTrails Part Deux

First official find New Orleans Public Library – City Park Branch

First cache I looked for, my third "official" find Dwarf Sumac

My First cache was C & N Cache by Blodlizrd & SoupNazi. It was plundered about a year after it was placed.

I went on lunch break with my manager and co-worker that were trying to get me into the sport. I didn't have a GPSr yet, I just kinda followed behind them. When we got near the area they were following their GPSr's and I saw what looked like a trampled path leading into the woods and at the end of the path was the cache!

I hit two that day and found the first 13 without my own GPSr, I just followed along or borrowed one. I broke down and bought one after that. Funny thing was right when I got my own GPSr, I got laid-off. Talk about timing!! I had a lot of time to just cache! and cache I did! I found 34 more caches before finnaly getting another job.

Edited by CWL

My first one was Feargus I on 9/22/2001. It was less than a mile from my house.

I signed the log with my full name and a few weeks later was contacted by the owner who asked if I was related to X and Y (not their real names). Well X is my father and Y is my brother. Turns out that the owner was a retired police officer and served on the same force as my brother and father and they knew each other well. Small world.

My first cache was Buckeye State Happy by CCCooperAgency. I was unaware at the time to the proficiency of this cacher. 4190 finds and 320 caches placed.

With my 4 year old son and 6 year old nephew in tow, I took my brand new GPSr to the closest cache that looked good to me. They both had a great time and I was thrilled.

There are a lot of veteran cachers out there who contributed greatly to this sport before most of us even came along. We owe them our thanks and respect.

My first one was Näsi Park, which has later changed it's name and place (by few meters).

I found it on my way from work to home without GPSr. I had recently read about geocaching at local newspaper, and at work I checked Gc.com to see if there were any caches in my town. After I found the cache, I very soon placed the order for my GPSr. :rolleyes:

My First cache was C & N Cache by Blodlizrd & SoupNazi. It was plundered about a year after it was placed.

I went on lunch break with my manager and co-worker that were trying to get me into the sport. I didn't have a GPSr yet, I just kinda followed behind them. When we got near the area they were following their GPSr's and I saw what looked like a trampled path leading into the woods and at the end of the path was the cache!

Great photo of CWL on his first cache hunt!

456858_200.JPG

No Razorbacks...