Dropped My Meridian Platinum In The Porta-john.

RockyRiver

Would you have retrieved it if it were and old E-trex?

Jayst

I was off work today and decided to go geo caching and was on my 2nd

cache when nature called me. I troted to the near by porta john and

undid my belt with GPS holster on side. I turned to get toliet paper

to wipe the seat and I heard a splash. I looked and the holster and

GPS were in that beutiful blue water they place in the holding tanks

of those big green plastic crappers. When I picked up the holster

splash again and it fell out the unzipped end. I rinsed the holster

and GPS off with a nearby hose for 10 minutes. One good note was the

porta john had just been cleaned that morning and it looked like I

was the first to use it since being cleaned(OR at lease I hope so).

I laughed after it happened, but was mad as a coot when I heard that

splash. I can say this, a meridian does float and is waterproof.

It seems to be perfectly fine. :D

That's just disgusting. I remember in Cub Scouts this one scout had to go to the outhouse so he borrowed his dad's brand-new, expensive flashlight. A minute later he came out saying he accidently dropped it in. That night every single cubscout went in the outhouse to check it out because the beam was still on and pointing up.

If this was at a Camporee in Rochelle, IL I was there, hilarious. :huh:

Ya see, thats why I just go way off in the woods to do my business!! :ph34r:

That's what I was thinking.

Edited by 2 CBR

For those of you who missed it, I have bumped the discussion of finding bags of doots in the woods. It's under The Hunt/The Unusual.

Just read the "bag of doots" thread, what a HOOT! I'm going to be caching in Colorado in a couple weeks and now I'm wondering if I'll run across any doot-bags... euuuuughh

Miz :ph34r:

So there I (Hound) was on cold and windy morning just outside Gettysburg, PA taking a moment of refuge to use the porta-john. Took off my gloves and tucked them under my chin to free up my hands. I'm thinking to myself about this link and start to laugh...wait....wait....that's right! There go my gloves and it's time for a new pair :):D:D

LMAO! Too funny! :wub:

Thats taking paperless caching too far

On the contrary, given the location, i think "paperless" would make things more gross. My question is, and I don't believe this has been addressed yet, how did you not bomb your own GPSr? There must've been some creative shaking or aiming involved... :anibad:

BTW: This is far and away the funniest thread I have read ANYWHERE!

When I took my Scouter training course, I was chatting with some cub leaders on course. We all got on the topic of "KYBOs" (Keep Your Bowels Open, or vault toilets) after a Scouter dropped his flashlight down the hole. It was lit, and stayed running for three days.

The Cub Leaders topped that -- they were on a camping trip with their Cub Pack, and somehow, one kid fell down into the hole. The other kids FINALLY told Akela about little Jimmy crying at the bottom of the KYBO. The leaders had the unpleasant job of rigging a rope sling and pulling him out -- and then hosing him off, fully clothed.

Poor kid was probably never the same again. And the other kids would never, ever let him forget it.....

This is exactly why I taught my kids at an early age the importance of having the ability to "pee" outside!!!

Now, not to be gross but... aw forget it. :P We're talking like "men" here, so I'll "have a go" at being manly and "stuff". That I would like told on this thread how you managed to tell them that risky butt overall lucky and blessed sport/pleasure. :laughing: Then tell us whether you had both genders you had to explain that to. :) I have a nice yard where since somebody's always hogging the only toilet in the house and feeding it yummy stuff that's not exactly easy to choke on(unless you have the glory of having the hobby of sitting on the john and feeling it come out plop by plop). :o So I am always reducing the chance of drought by getting rid of the extra liquid that I don't need and watering the lawn and the trees safely hidden from view by my neighbors. In fact, I tend to do that everywhere in the beautiful outdoors provided I can find a place that hides me from view(if I can't find an outhouse first that doesn't eat GPSr's) while at the same time giving forth some of my extra possesions away. :D I really am thinking about creating a ceramic log with a hole in it and putting it somewhere in the woods. It would have something inscribed into it. :laughing: Hey thanks for reading this. I hope I didn't "waste" your time. Have a good day and keep up the porta-potty stories. Thanks and have a great day. gwf :laughing:

This is exactly why I taught my kids at an early age the importance of having the ability to "pee" outside!!!

Now, not to be gross but... aw forget it. :P We're talking like "men" here, so I'll "have a go" at being manly and "stuff". That I would like told on this thread how you managed to tell them that risky butt overall lucky and blessed sport/pleasure. :laughing: Then tell us whether you had both genders you had to explain that to. :) I have a nice yard where since somebody's always hogging the only toilet in the house and feeding it yummy stuff that's not exactly easy to choke on(unless you have the glory of having the hobby of sitting on the john and feeling it come out plop by plop). :o So I am always reducing the chance of drought by getting rid of the extra liquid that I don't need and watering the lawn and the trees safely hidden from view by my neighbors. In fact, I tend to do that everywhere in the beautiful outdoors provided I can find a place that hides me from view(if I can't find an outhouse first that doesn't eat GPSr's) while at the same time giving forth some of my extra possesions away. :D I really am thinking about creating a ceramic log with a hole in it and putting it somewhere in the woods. It would have something inscribed into it. :laughing: Hey thanks for reading this. I hope I didn't "waste" your time. Have a good day and keep up the porta-potty stories. Thanks and have a great day. gwf :laughing:

What a blast from the past! On the topic of bullet proof GPSr's, my 60CSx has survived some significant incidents:

I've sunk it to the bottom of a salt water lagoon more times than I can count.

I ran over it with my pickup truck.

It slid off the roof of my buddy's Hyundai, bouncing off the blacktop at 45 MPH.

I wrecked my motorcycle with it in the handlebar bracket.

It still works like a charm.

Sadly, dropping it on the carpeted floor of my sister's Toyota broke the battery cover.

Garmin replaced it for free, even though it is several years out of warranty.

I worked at a YMCA camp one summer, and at the end of one session, some bully kids turned the ChemCan over with the fat kid in it. Naturally, it was the day before it was due to be serviced.

Handed a new bar of soap to smurf-kid, told him to get in the shower, take off all his clothes and throw them away, and to keep washing until he ran out of soap or I told him to stop.

Sent the bully kids to retrieve little boy blue's suitcase and lug it back a 1/4 mile up a steep hill. Had to explain to the parents the kid was now short a set of clothes, but hopefully clean and sanitary. Glad they required a tetanus shot for the campers.

Three solid months of porta-potty use during an unseasonably hot Texas summer makes me appreciate indoor plumbing.

I saw the 'age' of this original post right off....so don't know which pre-dates which but......

Ever since, I've been somewhat concerned about Garmin's choice of colors for my eTrex Legend.

And if it might've been a precursor of some kinda ad campaign geared towards "takes a dippin', & keeps on trippin'!!"

At least, I hope the choice was purely* coincidental.

*(And I DO mean, purely!!!!!

<_<

~*