What Exactly Is Directroute?!

robotman

I have a SporTrak Pro and was wondering exactly is DirectRoute?

Does it allow you to use your SporTrak as an independent navigating system? If so, what do you need the PC for?

Feel free to point me to another thread discussing how DirectRoute works... I couldn't find anything about the basic concept of DirectRoute.

Thanks.

Yes, it calculates the route. Sometimes using a route you might not want. It tries to chose the fastest route.

No, it does not have topo information, but I geep my topo files on the same SD card, so i can switch back and forth if I want.

DirectRoute only works on certain Magellan GPS units.

And yes, you need to connect it to a PC to:

(1) Upgrade the firmware

(2) Upload map files

It will re-calculate the course, if you tell it to by pushing the goto button.

Edited by DustyJacket

DirectRoute has been discussed plenty in this group. There's a page of mine (link below) dedicated to it.

If you have a SporTrak or a SporTrak Map (which are two very different units) it's not for you. The only SporTrak mutants that need apply are the Map Pro. Color, and Pro Marine.

(Hey, man, I didn't make up these confusing product names...)

Thanks for the link. That was very informative.

I'm still a little confused with the topo info. I know DirectRoute doesn't have it, but can you still use your old Mapsend maps at the same time as DirectRoute?

I have a SporTrak Pro (which I believe is supported by DR). I don't know if it would be worth getting if you can't some how use the topo info which is very helpful while GCing. The ST Pro only has internal memory... no SD cards. Does anyone know if I can use the old Mapsend topo info?!

Thanks.

You can only select one map file at a time.

Since a Sporttrak does not have an SD card, that means when you upload a Topo map, that is what you use. If you then upload a DirectRoute map, then you'll be using DirectRoute.

On my Meridian, I have both types of maps on my SD card. I can switch back and forth between them, but cannot use both at the same time.

Actually, you can have both a MapSend Topo generated map and MapSend DirectRoute map on a Pro, but because of the limited amount of memory, this would limit you to a very small area. I wouldn't recommend it.

Initially, I thought that I would miss the topo but I've found that I am willing to give it up in favor of more accurate maps and street level routing. Routing is way more fun that I thought it would be.

I was able to fit a rectangle from my house in San Jose all the way to Disneyland on my Sportrak Color (which has a bit less available memory than a Sportrak Pro). I found it very useful when driving around areas I was unfamiliar with.

--Marky