Finds Of $100 Cash (or More)

I snagged a first finder prize of $100 on Beneath Encom. There were several geocachers searching out this multi on a rainy, cold day in November 2002. We all got stumped on the 2nd stage and after all but one other person gave up, my son and I found it. I shared the coords to the final spot with the other cacher (fishingfools), but my son got lucky and told me to look in the right spot!

I was co-firstfinders on this cacheElberta Beach Cache which contained $100 first finders prize. We split the prize, $50 each. Another cacher was at the site prior to us but couldn't find so they gave up and played on the beach below. They gave us a TB put in the cache, that was if we could find it and we did. We uploaded several pictures with our log entry.

Is it VERY rare to find $100 or more cash in a geocache? I heard a rumor about people finding $10,000-$100,000: is this just nonsense?

Sounds like a drug drop rather than a geocache. Most of the ones I find have loose change or maybe a sac dollar or a WG dollar. Large amounts really are rare. If you find one, let me know.

Is it VERY rare to find $100 or more cash in a geocache?  I heard a rumor about people finding $10,000-$100,000: is this just nonsense?

Sounds like a drug drop rather than a geocache. Most of the ones I find have loose change or maybe a sac dollar or a WG dollar. Large amounts really are rare. If you find one, let me know.

Hey, I am missing an ammo can with lots of cache... ;)

:D I left a brand new crisp $100 bill in 36-79 A Confluence Geocache to celebrate my 100th find last spring. Read the logs soon after for some fun. :rolleyes:

That was incredibly generous of you and incredibly lame of the cacher that snagged it to go back to a cache that they'd already found in order to do so. I guess it was just too much for them to pass up. I'm betting many others did the same thing, but after not finding the loot, didn't post a note. That's one way to find out what the price tag is on people's integrity. :rolleyes:

:D I left a brand new crisp $100 bill in 36-79 A Confluence Geocache to celebrate my 100th find last spring. Read the logs soon after for some fun. :rolleyes:

That was incredibly generous of you and incredibly lame of the cacher that snagged it to go back to a cache that they'd already found in order to do so. I guess it was just too much for them to pass up. I'm betting many others did the same thing, but after not finding the loot, didn't post a note. That's one way to find out what the price tag is on people's integrity. :rolleyes:

It's the same thing as going back to a cache for a TB. I don't have a problem with it.

Edited by The Weasel

Money does that to folks.

Is it VERY rare to find $100 or more cash in a geocache?  I heard a rumor about people finding $10,000-$100,000: is this just nonsense?

I brought my cache home tonight to do some maint. work on it, and of all the logs and stuff people said they had put in it, I found one item that should have been there, and 28 cents in change. Not one of the logs mentioned dumping their pocket change into my cache, or taking half a dozen other items out. I'm wondering if some of the finders of my cache were less than honest in their logs. :rolleyes:

Back on topic: My next cache will have some great FTF prizes, close to $50 worth, I think. Just a couple more items to round up for it, a paint job, and it'll be ready to place. :rolleyes:

I brought my cache home tonight to do some maint. work on it, and of all the logs and stuff people said they had put in it, I found one item that should have been there, and 28 cents in change. Not one of the logs mentioned dumping their pocket change into my cache, or taking half a dozen other items out. I'm wondering if some of the finders of my cache were less than honest in their logs. :rolleyes:

Back on topic: My next cache will have some great FTF prizes, close to $50 worth, I think. Just a couple more items to round up for it, a paint job, and it'll be ready to place. :rolleyes:

A rat trap makes a great FTF item, and you can get them at the $ store.

QUOTE (ghOzt @ Jan 6 2004, 05:59 PM)

QUOTE (wimseyguy @ Jan 6 2004, 02:50 PM)

I left a brand new crisp $100 bill in 36-79 A Confluence Geocache to celebrate my 100th find last spring. Read the logs soon after for some fun.

That was incredibly generous of you and incredibly lame of the cacher that snagged it to go back to a cache that they'd already found in order to do so. I guess it was just too much for them to pass up. I'm betting many others did the same thing, but after not finding the loot, didn't post a note. That's one way to find out what the price tag is on people's integrity.

i agree with ghost on this one

how lame it is to go back to a cache if it isnt your cache and only then to retrive your log and restock the cache.if i were the next cacher to find it for the first time i would have been hurt that someone would stoop to that level.what do tptb or moderators think on this issue?????

:D Ooops I did it again! :rolleyes: I forgot to add in one of those pesky punctuation marks. :D I meant to type $1.00. :D And for those character assasination types who replied to my original post-Realx it's only a game/sport/activity. :D

It's all for FUN!! :D

PS He didn't bother going back for a dollar but emailed me to clarify my post and we decided to have some online FUN!

PPS Sheeeesh! :D

Edited by wimseyguy
:D Ooops I did it again!  ;)  I forgot to add in one of those pesky punctuation marks. :D  I meant to type $1.00.  B)  And for those character assasination types who replied to my original post-Realx it's only a game/sport/activity.

I guess you're right about the character assasination part... $100 would have been hard for most people to resist, but to find out that it was all just a hoax (both then, and now in the forums)! I must say, what was the point?

If my overreaction and a sudden surge of cachers visiting that particular cache in hopes of getting a big payout were the intended effects, then... congratulations, I guess?!? ...or something.B)