Waas / Egnos For Europe

Obi Wan

I have it turned on on my Geko; got several good sessions connected to EGNOS during the Autumn, but only the occasional blip since November. Got an EGNOS signal very briefly by the Cat & Fiddle late December. I leave it turned on just for the thrill of perhaps seeing the DIFF identifier instead of ACCURACY. Still have no idea what DIFF really means, though ;)

Thanks for the replies.

The other thing I heard, was that if you leave switched on when its not working it decrease accrucay.

Is there any truth in this or is just speculation?

Otherwise I can just leave it enabled and shout Hurrah! when it starts working.

Cheers.

Obi. :rolleyes:

For what its worth there is no useable reception in the UK at the moment.

When the GPSr does see a WAAS sat (not likely at the moment) it will try to use the correction data for the sats it is told about. This can be bad...

...if the GPSr only sees correction data for 1,2, or 3 sats and the rest don't have it the accuracy is (apparently) degraded.

I don't recommend having it switched on until the full network is operational.

Andy.

I had great problems with this..... bought a Sportrak pro colour...and it led me a merry dance .....As I understand it WAAS is only operating in the States ...Europe is still "experimental" garmin et al ignore the correction data but Magellan just accept it ..... a couple of great links :-

http://gpsinformation.net/waasgps.htm

http://gpsinformation.net/main/magellan-codes.txt

bottom line is that I inhibited it and the Sportrak works fine .. it was giving errors of 230ft previously.

WAAS will apparently reduce error from 12 ft to 3 ft ! hmmmmmmmmmm

Only problem there is that any EGNOS signals you pick up are still in test mode, and as such may contain deliberate errors. This means your GPS may well *think* it's accurate down to a few feet but in reality could be out by maybe 100ft... best to wait until the full EGNOS system is up and running before you go trusting your accuracy to that extent! :rolleyes:

So, are you basically saying that I should switch off the WAAS mode on my Garmin Geko 201 ??

Moon herb ...dont think you need do anything with a Garmin ( see attached extract last line ) and link to complete article

http://gpsinformation.net/waasgps.htm

"This does NOT mean that you can be in England, Mexico, Canada or any other location very distant from the WAAS correction stations and expect the USA WAAS corrections to be useful even if you can receive the WAAS satellites. In fact, if you are in Europe, Africa, Australia or anywhere more than perhaps 500 miles away from the shores of the USA, the use of WAAS signals may well REDUCE the accuracy of your GPS fixes. Europe's EGNOS system (compatible with WAAS but for operation in Europe) is in the test phase now and is transmitting a "do not use" flag. Magellan GPS receivers ignore this flag and use the signal anyway (for what it is worth), but Garmin receivers honor the flag's intent and will not use the EGNOS data as long as the "do not use" flag is set."

regards FFB

When I said WAAS I meant EGNOS (just generic use of augmentation system).

EGNOS is in test so is not reliable.

The sats sending correction data are difficult to see in the UK (at the moment) so don't try to use them... You won't be see enough sats to be useable.

You can't trust any data sent as the system is still in test.

Don't put the GPSr in WAAS/EGNOS mode regardless of manufacture (to be safe).

Andy.