False Geocaching "handles"

Silny Jako Bek

Some volunteer reviewers choose to perform their work anonymously; it is a matter of personal choice. Others maintain separate accounts for their player activity and their work as cache reviewers and forum moderators. In both cases, this helps keep the two activities separate and distinct. I hold opinions as an individual geocacher which may vary from the official rules which I have volunteered to enforce.

In certain regions, geocachers choose to hide caches under a separate account to maintain an aura of 'mystery' about who is hiding all the evil new caches. So long as they provide valid contact information when registering, and the account is not abused (e.g., for "bad" pirate activities, playing sock puppet in the forums, evading the cache placement guidelines in any way, etc.), this is ordinarily not an issue.

I've been using this name in the forums, only. If you look at my stats, you'll see I have no finds. Why? Because I geocache with two other friends and log finds under our TEAM name. In the forums, I don't necessarily want to represent the whole team...that's way too much pressure.;)

I've been using this name in the forums, only. If you look at my stats, you'll see I have no finds. Why? Because I geocache with two other friends and log finds under our TEAM name. In the forums, I don't necessarily want to represent the whole team...that's way too much pressure.;)

I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one doing that.

I am not talking about those who use a different name in the forums, or those who cache both as a team and individually, thus having more than one possibility for logging a find. Rather, I am confused about those who actually log finds under two (or more) different names and post finds for the same cache under different names.

As to the previous post by the virtuous Team Mule Ears, the cacher of whom I speak is a miscreant who will deliberately mislead without compunction in addition to his unusual prediliction for subterfuge...

Here's the situation that has my esteemed caching colleague Silny Jako Bek worked up:

A local cacher uses two separate names/accounts--let's say "Jekyll" and "Hyde." When he finds a cache, he'll sometimes sign twice, once as "Jekyll" and again as "Hyde." Does the same with online logs, one log as "Jekyll" and another as "Hyde." The "Jekyll" logs are fairly normal; for the "Hyde" logs he has created a fantasy personna that's part James Bond, part Emeril Lagasse.

SJB believes the "Hyde" logs contain disinformation to throw other cachers off the trail (Jekyll/Hyde often hits difficult puzzle caches).

That's the deal.

And SJB needs no thesaurus..

Someone could carry this multiple personality disorder out quite a ways, log every cache 5 times with different accounts. They would really only be making more work for themselves - perhaps they need that. There would be a lot of explaining to do at the next cacher's picnic tho...

SJB believes the "Hyde" logs contain disinformation to throw other cachers off the trail (Jekyll/Hyde often hits difficult puzzle caches).

I don't condone this practice, and I sure bet it sucks to waste a bunch of time on a cache after being led down the primrose path by what you thought was a helpful hint. But as annoying as this sounds, is it really all that big a problem? I will read cache logs sometimes before doing a cache, but I never consider them to be 100% accurate. I've seen a few where the cacher just got it wrong, or did it the hard way, and yet still found the cache.

I'm not saying it's not weird and annoying - it sure sounds like it is. But is it bad? It seems like it's a trick that could only be pulled a couple of times before the other persona lost all credibility.

Interesting subject. My husband and I just started, and decided to create different accounts because we each travel and expect to do this solo or with others as well as together.

I didn't think about the ramifications 'til I logged our/my activities from the past weekend, and he was just above me in the comments.

Is this going to be an issue? Are we "cheating" because we each logged a cache though we found it together?

Heck no... but thanks for asking!

Your reasoning for having separate accounts is totally legit. It's also fine for both of you to log the cache separately, since you were both THERE.

It would be different if you were traveling out of town, and your husband found a cache locally... only he could log that one.