Longest Dnf-free Streak

I have my longest ever streak of finds without a DNF - 39. What's your longest streak?

Before I answer, could you define DNF. I wouldn't want to be off-topic. ;)

DNF = Did not feed

He is talking about the ritual eating between geocaching finds!! Fasting is bad for geocachers!!

:lol:

If by chance he means did not find... then I have 53 and 47 between my last 2 DNFs...

Edited by Doc-Dean

While trying unsuccessfully to be funny, Johnnie Stalkers accidentally raised a good point. To answer in this topic, one really ought to be the type of geocacher who logs ALL their DNF's, under some sort of accepted definition. My personal rules for logging a DNF: I entered a goto for the waypoint but couldn't find it. AND I leave my DNF logs intact, even when I later find the cache. AND I log a DNF on EACH unsuccessful attempt for the cache.

By those standards, my longest streak without a DNF is 60 finds, and I have two other streaks greater than 40. Change any one of the above ground rules, however, and the results change dramatically.

Edited by The Leprechauns

For me, I do not consider a cache search to begin until I start using the information given on the cache page or by hitting the "go to waypoint" button on my GPS'r. That "point" varies from cache to cache.

With that in mind, I found my first 74 caches until I had a DNF and I haven't come near that streak since!

Am I getting worse or are Central PA cachers just getting better? ;)

Salvelinus

Johnnie Stalkers raises a good point.

How dare YOU make such wild accusations! I demand an immediate apology and retraction of this statement. I'll have you know I was not making a point as you so erroneously 'pointed' out, but making a joke. Perhaps a poorly vague one, but a joke none the less. Good day to you SIR. I said, GOOD DAY TO YOU SIR! ;)

Ok, Lep had a point about my point that I didn't really think about. Early on I was ashamed of my DNFs and hid them from the Geo Community and even friends and family. Wasn't long before I was sneaking out at night to get a DNF, but I never logged them in public. So it wasn't until about 20 finds that I realized the real benefit of logging DNFs and started doing it. Streak without 25.

IMO, a long streak without DNFs is a sign of a cacher who is doing mostly 1/1 caches that have been recently visited.  A thing to be ashamed of.

On more than one occasion, I've gone a few hundred finds between DNFs, and I do not fit Fizzy's profile. When I was more active, I did every cache of every difficulty that popped up in my caching region, and was FTF on a high percentage of them. So much for "generalities," to borrow a phrase from Lazyboy. I do agree that DNFs are nothing to be ashamed of, and are often the logs that are the most fun to read and to write.

Edited by BassoonPilot
IMO, a long streak without DNFs is a sign of a cacher who is doing mostly 1/1 caches that have been recently visited. A thing to be ashamed of. I rather prefer Marky's measure of total DNFs as a badge of honor.

Fizzy,

You don't do your own caches. Most of yours are really hard to find. I'm going to find Quit Iron Horsing Around , Quarterback and Hexpedition 3 someday!

So about these rules about logging DNFs, what about aborted missions? This very morning I set out to find a cache while my son was in preschool, but I didn't have very much time. The first spot I drove to in the park where the cache is hidden was on the wrong side of a medium sized river. I realized that I would not have time today to drive all the way around to where there is a bridge, so I gave up before I even got out of the car. I did not log a DNF, and intuitively, I think this is OK, since the log would serve no purpose to others. What do you all think?

James

So about these rules about logging DNFs, what about aborted missions? This very morning I set out to find a cache while my son was in preschool, but I didn't have very much time. The first spot I drove to in the park where the cache is hidden was on the wrong side of a medium sized river. I realized that I would not have time today to drive all the way around to where there is a bridge, so I gave up before I even got out of the car. I did not log a DNF, and intuitively, I think this is OK, since the log would serve no purpose to others. What do you all think?

James

I would at least post a note of your experience in that case, but ask yourself, "What's the harm in logging a did not find?"

There is no prize or penalty based on your logs. It only serves as your caching history. I prefer seeing my history accurately, so I log DNF's when I don't find the cache.

Johnnie Stalkers raises a good point.

How dare YOU make such wild accusations! I demand an immediate apology and retraction of this statement. I'll have you know I was not making a point as you so erroneously 'pointed' out, but making a joke. Perhaps a poorly vague one, but a joke none the less. Good day to you SIR. I said, GOOD DAY TO YOU SIR! :rolleyes:

Ok, Lep had a point about my point that I didn't really think about. Early on I was ashamed of my DNFs and hid them from the Geo Community and even friends and family. Wasn't long before I was sneaking out at night to get a DNF, but I never logged them in public. So it wasn't until about 20 finds that I realized the real benefit of logging DNFs and started doing it. Streak without 25.

Yeah but you were never caught in a bad part of town tring to 'score' a DNF. I think that should be the point that yes you had a problem, You identified the problem, and you conquered the problem.

I can not brag more then any of you. i can say 3.

Flame On!

For the sake of this discussion, here's how I define DNF:

You searched for the cache and did not find it.

What I think is and isn't a DNF:

DNF

• You searched and did not find the cache
  • You loaded the coords, drove to the location, hiked out, and ended up on the wrong side of the river and gave up
  • You searched for the cache, found its intended location, but it was missing (sometimes a DNF is beyond your control)

Not a DNF

• You ran out of time and didn't attempt to find the cache (no hike or hunt)
  • You got to the location, and it was surrounded by muggles, so you decided not to look for the cache

Edited by CacheMonkeez

My longest streak of successful hunts is somewhere in the 30's.

A while back, on this same topic, a local cacher claimed to have a perfect record of 50-something finds (or some number). Not too long later, I found a cache (for which I'd posted two DNFs), and his entry in the logbook at the cache said, "Third time's a charm. Looked for this cache twice before without success, but got it this time."

It was then I realized that it was pointless trying to compare numbers with self-appointed statistics.

Jamie

[edit] added stuff.

[edit2] added more stuff

Not a DNF

You ran out of time and didn't attempt to find the cache (no hike or hunt)

You got to the location, and it was surrounded by muggles, so you decided not to look for the cache

I don't agree with either of these, mostly.

There was a time I went to locate a cache with limited time for the hunt. I had two hours to make the drive and get it. The drive took a lot longer, and when I got to the park I realized that even if I were quick, I wouldn't make it back in time, so I aborted the hunt and logged a DNF. I consider that part of the caching environment, and because of it, I couldn't find the cache.

Also, in my opinion, muggles are part of the challenge. There was a time I was hunting for a micro very near a big tourist spot. Some old guy was standing there taking pictures, not far from where I figured the cache was hidden. I had to wait a few minutes, but then I found an opportunity to nab it. Funny--I signed the logbook and replaced the cache in the hiding spot, the whole time the guy was about six feet away and I never got any indication that he even acknowledged I was there.

Had I not been able to get the cache because of this guy, it certainly would have counted as a DNF.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z
By my count, I have 180 DNFs.  Anyone beat that?  :rolleyes:

--Marky

Uh yeah, I can beat that, no problem. I have more DNFs than I have forum posts.

I probably only log about 3/4 of my DNFs by Lep's definition. I don't want my DNF total to get too crazy.

Edited by kablooey
Good topic.

Between 47 & 51 and counting. (not sure exactly) I haven't had a DNF since July. Some of that number are events though, but ask Saxman, he can testify that it's possible to DNF an event.

Sn ;)B) gans

Snoogans,

That's quite a streak. Would you consider going after a risky, thrice-DNFed cache with your streak on the line? Or would you pass it up in order to keep your streak alive?

My last caching attempt was all DNF's, but only marginally so because of too many muggles and too little time. But that was only 3 - so I don't feel so bad after reading this thread (and they were all 9Key's or ones he was involved in. ;) Winfrey Point, 1911 and Texas High School Football cache.)

I misread this - I thought it said longest streak of DNFs! LOL! I thought those numbers sounded high. B)

Edited by SamLowrey

Using Lep's qualifications, my best streak is 22.

However, even Lep's definition leaves some room for interpretation. For example, let's say that the person that hid the cache posted the wrong coordinates and you got a DNF because of it.

Does that really count if you are keeping track of personal stats? I say it doesn't because you really didn't have a fair shot to find the cache.

Another DNF could have been the result of the cache disappearing. While it's still a DNF, I wouldn't really count it if I was keeping track of my longest streak without a DNF.

Good god, after re-reading what I wrote above I think that I have officially become a Geocaching Nerd. I wonder how much of my brain is now occupied by geocaching thoughts. ;)

Good topic.

Between 47 & 51 and counting. (not sure exactly) I haven't had a DNF since July. Some of that number are events though, but ask Saxman, he can testify that it's possible to DNF an event.

Sn ;)  B) gans

Snoogans,

That's quite a streak. Would you consider going after a risky, thrice-DNFed cache with your streak on the line? Or would you pass it up in order to keep your streak alive?

I find stats interesting in a Vulcan sort of way. I find obscure stats way more interesting.

I never considered a streak of finds, or DNFs, before this thread. Protecting a find streak is a foriegn idea to me. I don't care.

I have never spent less than an hour before claiming a DNF, (Usually wayyy more, I hate to give up.) so it depends on what the other three teams reported for their DNFs. My decision would be based on available time and that information.

Sn :DB) gans