Gps 'road Angel'

TX Hokie

I was looking at a UK-edition FHM magazine the other day and they had a holiday gift guide with an item called 'Road Angel'. It consists of a GPS receiver that you use in the car that does a couple neat things. For one, as you approach accident-prone areas, it warns you, but even cooler, it is programmed with the locations of all known speed cameras in the UK (which I'm told by UK friends are everywhere). It's database is updatable via the internet. Anyway, here is one link for a place selling the thing, there are plenty of others that Google finds.

<http://www.avoidfines.com/trolleyed/4/16/>

Anyway, I thought it sounded pretty cool. I'm in Germany for a few months, and there are a few spots around town that have those speed cameras. Would be nice to know where they all are *before* I see that flash!

I'm in Germany for a few months, and there are a few spots around town that have those speed cameras.  Would be nice to know where they all are *before* I see that flash!

Almost all speed controls in Germany are mobile and temporary (1 to 3 hours). Moreover radar and laser alert systems are verboten. If the police stop your car and find such a device they will confiscate and destroy it. ;)

Cornix

Moreover radar and laser alert systems are verboten. If the police stop your car and find such a device they will confiscate and destroy it. ;)

Would this be considered a radar or laser warning system? It's more of a database than a warning system. I agree that it would seem useless in Germany as the radar's are there for a short time only. I got flashed there not too long ago...

Here in Dresden, there are some permanent speed cameras around the town. You are right that there are mobile ones as well. However, even the permanent ones are easy to miss until it's too late, if you don't know where they are! I've gotten flashed a couple times since I've been here, but no tickets in the mail. I think sometimes they don't bother if it is a rental car.