First 100yr-old Benchmark Found

FSU*Noles

Howdy folks, I braved the -2F weather on the way home to nab a picture of this easy disk find today (PP1994):

http://img.Groundspeak.com/benchmark/lg/71126_100.jpg

I'm very new to this, so forgive my newbie question, but based on the other pictures in the gallery it seemed like it was in far better shape than I expected it to be. Is this unusual, or simply because it's above the ground? Sorry 'bout the log too - as this is my first official "benchmark disk" find, I'm still trying to figure it all out. But I'm having a great time as always, thanks for your help!

-Ken

I haven't found too many benchmark discs but you are right, that one looks real good for the date that is on it.

One of the things that interests me about searching for benchmarks is the history of it all. Some one, how ever many years ago, left something that not everyone is looking for. Once finding the disc, I like to look for the markers in the descriptions on the website to see what changes may have occurred in the surroundings.

I don't know - is that a little too sappy? No matter, it still keeps me going.

Tom

Hey, thanks everyone for the replies! The disk was in such great condition it made me wonder if they were ever "replaced" for any reason with the same markings, and maybe it wasn't 100 years old after all?

Either way I thought it was a great piece of Minnesota history. Our state doesn't have the history of some of the other ones, it wasn't even a state until 1858 so I was excited to find something marked 1903! Eventually it'll thaw out (still below zero today) and I can muck around in the ground for some other disks, but for now I'm still having a great time with these...thanks again, cheers!

-Ken

How do you exactly know how old they are? Theres the logs that show the first time they were checked up on but how do you find out when it was Personally cemented down and placed?

If you just look at the datasheet, it says when the marks was placed. In this case it says:

1903 by USGS (MONUMENTED)

The monumented date is the date it was placed.

Congrats on the find! Having found several that were over 100 years-old, I know the excitement you felt when finding it. I put a lot of research into finding what I believe to be the oldest NGS benchmark in Alabama (that isn't a church steeple, etc). It is always a thrill to find these. Keep up the good work and let us know of any other old (or new) finds you come across.