Local Legends

pnew

I've noticed that in every area there always seems to be one or a few cachers that hide a alot of great caches or are known for their events. Not everyone makes it to these forums so post a link/ditty to/of your favorite area cacher or cache placer.

(not meant to make one cacher better than another but rather to recognize those who do a really good job)

In my area (Waco, TX) sawdust92 was the first and only cacher for the longest time. Just about the time he went crazy in loneliness the local cache scene exploded with a torrent of new caches. The GeoGoes contributed to much of that along with some others.

Edited by pnew

In Houston(Austin):

FTFs: Geowyz

Caches: Geowyz & Geek-Qualizer (Their caches are the stuff of legend.) :)

Caches Honorable mention: Babslover, SigJ, ParkerPlus, TerraTrekkers, and too many others to list actually...

Finds: UsMorrows, Mustard Devil, & The Trogs

Events: UsMorrows <WOW!! They could teach a class.> :rolleyes: (Austin: MoosieGirl)

Best cachin dog: Teddie (UsMorrows) Austin: Caymus (Big Mo)

Best cachin boat (Austin only) bbelk & his unsinkable Molly Brown

Favorite geocaching psychopath: SigJ (Austin: LowRacer) <I am normal compared with these guys....Seriously.>

For the stuff they leave after a find: Dreamcachers

Sn :rolleyes::) gans

Edited by Snoogans
I don't know how many finds he actually has, but in Western PA, I look up to The Leprechauns (sp?)

Well, I do appreciate that compliment and I will be glad to help you with any questions you might have as you start your geocaching career in Southwestern Pennsylvania! By the way, The Leprechauns have 560-something finds, but more importantly, around 20 hidden caches for everyone to enjoy.

Alas, your admiration is misplaced. For right in your backyard (not literally) there lives the TRUE legend and king of Southwestern Pennsylvania geocaching, Quest Master. His 25 or so hides, as a whole, are the most challenging of the "traditional" brand of geocaching that started this sport. And he's been around since pretty much the beginning. When I started more than a year later, I learned the ropes from folks like Quest Master and Puppyman.

Finding a Quest Master cache is a whole different level of geocaching. People visiting from other areas will confirm this fact.

In the great state of New Jersey we have Stayfloopy and Bassoonpilot (if there is a cache, Bassoonpilot will find it, no matter how tough...just try him.) and among the cache hiders, HartClimbs is garnering quite a reputation. Marty621 is one of the kings of great NJ cache hiders. Oh and speaking of kings, a real legend in these parts is the good King Pellinore. He doesn't own many caches, but the ones he does...whew! Here is a photo of His Highness speaking to another local legend, Skully & Mulder

2037183_300.JPG

Oh, then there is the mysterious Cache_Ninja. He only has a handful of finds, though he's been at this since 2000, but he was a prolific cache placer in the early days of the sport and every once in a while a new one from him will suddenly pop up. Most are tough caches in interesting places. But the odd thing is that nobody has met the guy (or gal). Some theorize that he is the alter ego of a prominent local geocacher, but nobody has any proof of this.

Edited by briansnat

In Idaho.

Idahoflyer, chief cook and bottle washer for Idahogeocachers.org he brought us all closer.

Niskibum - Evil Genius his signature item is a Fembot, but nobody has found one yet. I don't think he lets them out of his house.

Beentherefoundit - The ones nobody can ever catch up to.

Wizonkiz - Yarnspinner laureate.

Elvish Archer - For telling you how much fun he had no matter how much blood he had to leave at your cache to do it.

Well here in the Chicago area we of course have Markwell.

Some of the more prolific cachers are: Greenback, Spyderuser and Genius Loci.

There is only one other cacher active in the town where I live, GeoGeek65, and he is fast approaching 700 finds and 70 hides.

We had an event cache back in July where all of them and quite a few others (including the aformentioned BruceS and Lil Otter!) had a great time sharing tales from the trails.

Stayfloopy is GOD! The guy finds everything and quickly. I want to petition Jeremy to make Floopy a locationless cache - if you find him while you are caching you can snap a pic and log it. He's all over the place. Like a ninja! :)

There are some new people on LI who have gotten quite a few finds rather quickly - but I don't want to inflate some already healthy egos. Apparently their moms did a great job. :)

:)

The Sacramento area is lucky to have a bunch of great cachers.

As far as local legends, three come to mind, and each are very nice people.

Kimbo placed the first caches in the area and is still very active.

MikieP has been at it for a while, finds a lot and places great hides.

Last we have Jeo. I think he has the most local finds and he places the most evil hides. All of them are well made and very creative.

:)

Edited by GeoSharks

Here in southern oregon there are two that quickly come to mind. One is Hillywilly and he seldom caches any longer. He's the guy that got arrested some time back for putting a cache too close to a train track.

Then there is Quad Explorer who I give huge props to for helping me get started. He found my first hide which had listed coordinates which were 200 feet off. Instead of blasting me for it he looked around, found it and then emailed me the correct coordinates and being nice to me certainly kept me around.

Their find totals are low compared to what goes on these days but when Quad hit 300 I didn't know anyone else with 100 finds. I had about 20 then.

You can't seem to be able to swing a dead cat without hitting a cache placed by 9Key in the Dallas area where my folks are from.

Further, he comes up with creative ones like this. It drives me mad because his caches are not exactly my style and I usually don't have a lot of time to cache in the area and his take, it seems, much longer than my other finds (maybe this is just me - urban caches aren't my "thing.")

That is pretty close to you, pnew - maybe if you head up to Dallas you can give 9Key's caches a try.

Edited by SamLowrey
You can't seem to be able to swing a dead cat without hitting a cache placed by 9Key in the Dallas area where my folks are from.

Further, he comes up with creative ones like this. It drives me mad because his caches are not exactly my style and I usually don't have a lot of time to cache in the area and his take, it seems, much longer than my other finds (maybe this is just me - urban caches aren't my "thing.")

That is pretty close to you, pnew - maybe if you head up to Dallas you can give 9Key's caches a try.

Is there anyone in Texas that hasn't got a 9Key cache within a hondred miles or so? 9Key's Gator Bait was one of my first.

As for Sawdust92, his Old Time Memories, in Waco, is one of my all time favorite cache locations. I drove a hundred miles outta my way to get that one.

Sn :):) gans

Looking back to the days of feb-june of '01. It would have to ba a fella named Butch.

Anywhere I went, Butch was there 1st. If there was a trail, Butch had hiked it and had done so many more times than I and many years before I discovered it.

In Missouri, I dont think i have been to better, more awe inspiring, breathtaking places than a Butch placed cache. Even now his caches cant be beat.

It was my dream to someday actually beat Butch to a cache. Then, one day I did.

I think I saw him ducking thru the woods coming back from a cache once. That is as close to meeting him as I ever got.

If i could pick cache hiding spots like he does, it would be great.

Then of course there is BruceS who moves 3 times faster than anyone I know.

In Southern California (Orange county), it used to be Otis Pug. The Pugster was the man with some of the most clever hides imaginable. When a new Pug cache appeared, hordes of cachers would descend upon it hoping and striving to be the first to figure it out.

Unfortunately, the Pug has retired from the game. Rumor has it that there was too much politics associated with caches placed in some local parks.

Otis is sorely missed in this part of California.

Team Geo-Jedi

According to our opinion, are there a couple of cachers that are local legends:

Jasy - one of the first geocachers in Sweden. He was hiding his first cache in May 2001.

Cyberjunkie - he has found 500 cachers and hidden 104 cachers (the most number hidden caches from one cacher). Have made a couple of the more extreme hiking caches...

HakanA - He is the number 1 cacher in Sweden - he has found 895 caches.

A normal day he finds about 15-25 caches!

Gustaf - A guy in the capitol of Sweden (Stockholm) who has only been hiding a few caches, but cachers wount forget them... The most spectacular caches in Sweden! Here is a few of them:

One of the coolest virtuals: Satellite Spotting

One of the scariest caches (check the pics in the logs!):

Beware of the wolfs

There is a few more, but these are the most famous ones I think. A lot of people blame Jasy & HakanA as the reason they started to cache, first there was an article about Jasy and Geocaching, then it was an article about HakanA & caching..

Edited by hedberg
It drives me mad because his caches are not exactly my style and I usually don't have a lot of time to cache in the area and his take, it seems, much longer than my other finds (maybe this is just me - urban caches aren't my "thing.")

I think 9Key has hidden so many in the area now that he's got one for just about every style of hide, from 5 minute park-n-grab micros to flail around in the woods for the ammo box. Plus some bizarre and unusual ones. If you are ever in Dallas, try this cache:

Nevermore

I am willing to bet that this will be one of your more memorable caching experiences. It's fun alone or with a group.

Hehe, I wouldn't talk about legends since I'd have to include myself on the list, but if we simply resume the the most finds in Finland, there are at the moment 3 accounts who have more than 250 finds:

Harjus: 267. They're the fastest cachers in Finland, since they began caching no sooner than May 2003.

Divine: 254. This is remarkable (in my opinion, of course :) ) since I haven't logged a find from a single locationless cache, unlike the other top cachers.

Jouko: 252. He was #1 for a long time, until during 2003 some freaks powercached to his numbers.

Some of the other 'legendary' cachers around here:

Captain_Morgan&Family - Very active cacher both in forums and on the trail. Has the highest number of hides in Finland: 39.

Jyrki&Sari - Have influenced heavily the distribution of geocaching in its early stage by both hiding caches and making newspaper articles.

Erwast - Very keen geocacher, who's perhaps most legendary deed was a caching trip to Finnish Lapland at summer 2003, where he logged several very old virgin caches.

Edited by Divine
You can't seem to be able to swing a dead cat without hitting a cache placed by 9Key in the Dallas area.
I wonder how I can work a dead (stuffed?) cat into my new cache? :)

To give proper credit, the Sanity cache mentioned above was modeled after the Lock, Stock, and Buried cache by Team Geodillo of Austin.

North Texas caching legends?

* Prime Suspect's caches are always well thought out, very professional, and enjoyable.

* GeoVamp can hide a cache *anywhere*, and is our area's Social Director.

* Alchemist2000 is our local finds leader with more than 800 now. They make great corn on the cob too. :)

* Other greats: Akulakat, GeoDee, loubob, Sandbassking, Mudbig, Hackattack, HedgeHopper, Kattz, TexasTiger, I could go on and on...

It drives me mad because his caches are not exactly my style and I usually don't have a lot of time to cache in the area and his take, it seems, much longer than my other finds (maybe this is just me - urban caches aren't my "thing.")

I think 9Key has hidden so many in the area now that he's got one for just about every style of hide, from 5 minute park-n-grab micros to flail around in the woods for the ammo box. Plus some bizarre and unusual ones. If you are ever in Dallas, try this cache:

Nevermore

I am willing to bet that this will be one of your more memorable caching experiences. It's fun alone or with a group.

Cool! I've been wanting to do a night cache. And you are right about his "style(s)." This one was kinda in-between - Edelweiss

Here in Portland, OR . . .

oregone probably has the most finds, but has slowed down a little recently. Regardless his logs are legendary.

fractal - not as many finds, but his hides are generally fantastic, as are his events. Pair him up with soup, and the events that come from this alien symbiosis are slightly dangerous. ;)

Lots of other prolific cachers like - Grandpa Rocks, pdxmarathonman.

In Mississippi, our 2 "early adopters" of Geocaching, Leatherneck and Pater47, are still going strong...great and fearless cache searchers, and can generally be counted on to place top-quality hides as well in really nifty locations. They're also 2 of the nicest and most helpful guys you'll find - I don't know if I would have become as addicted to caching as I have without their help early on.

We also miss 2 other early local legends, Topher72 (relocated out of state) and Mojesic (called up to active duty). AND, we also miss JamieZ, who seems to have abandoned our fair state after once leading the pack here after his PaterQuest! When ya coming back down here, Jamie?!?

More recently, ShoelessJoe and SuperSquid have been particularly prolific - if a cache comes up ANYWHERE within our state borders they will be on top of it shortly (I think Shoeless has already found over 75-80% of the caches placed in our state). Shoeless is also a stud cache hider - challenging hikes, and often requiring advanced mathematical skills to solve some of his puzzles (and I'll get him for that!). :rolleyes: And SuperSquid is particularly generous: He leaves stacks of custom made hiking staffs affectionately known in Mississippi as "SSOs" (Super Squid Originals) at new caches that he hides - it's a state badge of honor to have an SSO.

Being a smaller state, we're proud of our whole caching community here, and we continue to breed "local legends" throughout the state!

-Dave R. in Biloxi

Edited by drat19
:D In Raleigh, NC it has to be WE4NCS. We also :D:rolleyes::rolleyes: him for introducing the Bison Design tubes to this area.

I was already a Bison tube hider before I spent a few months in the Triad and Triangle on business last year - several of WE4NCS's hides gave me new and devious ideas for hiding them that I hadn't previously considered! Little did he know that the WE4NCS fungus would spread to Southern Mississippi! :D:D

-Dave R. in Biloxi

I agree with all of DRat19's "MS Legends" but he left two noteworth people out.

He mentioned some of the top finders but he left out one of the best hiders.

Mauler6 is known for his "typical Mauler" traditionals (dadgum fine, well stocked caches in great historical and/or unique locations) as well as neat new containers and other evil hiding techniques. Mauler seems to know where every Civil War site in the state is located.

And you can't forget our state-hopping cache-aholic, Drat19 (First Mississippian to log 1k finds - and MS only has 500ish active caches).

:rolleyes:

southdeltan

Edited by southdeltan