Bc Geocaching Assoc - Web Site Launch

MrGigabyte

January 1, 2004

British Columbia Geocaching Association - Web Site Launch

We are pleased to announce the launch of a new valuable resource for locating and sharing information relating to geocaching within British Columbia.

The site includes many features that allow members to contribute content to the site. These include, News, file downloads including software and GPS waypoint files, Web Links, Newest Caches, Coming Events, just to name a few. In addition, there are discussion forums for members which will help BC cachers connect with other BC cachers for the specific purpose of discussing geocaching, group caching, events, cool caches, etc.

It is our hope that BC cachers do take advantage of these features and thus allow the site content to grow to meet the needs of the community.

This site would not have been possible without the efforts of the following local BC cachers and their contributions in the design, creation, implementation and testing of the site: MarinerBC. MrGigabyte, MrPeabody, Seneca, and The Wet Coast Explorers.

For more information, please visit http://www.bcgeocaching.com

Congratulations! This is a really good looking site. I hope outsiders will be welcome to visit often.

Boy, I sure wish this activity had been discovered while I still lived out there. I lived in lower mainland for 25 years and would have loved to have had this sport while our kids were growing up. We always managed to have fun but this sport is great and out there the the choice is almost unlimited. Here in MB, it is beginning to catch up. Albeit slowly.

Cool. Can we be the first international members?

~Lucy~

Lucy... We would be honoured to have all members of Washington State Geocaching Assoc. join us.

As I recall after several pints of beer Saturday night, you volunteered to sign on as our Association Secretary, did you not? :-)

Cool. Can we be the first international members?

What are the dues and what are your objectives?

~Lucy~

I certainly hope so! Please join as soon as possible, L&R! Of course we expect to see Pepper soon, too. Welcome.

We would ask that you pass on your WSGA experience, regarding those very matters.

Very nice work. As you have no doubt seen, Ontario is working its way to Organization and if we can get something half as nice and clean as you guys have set up I would be very happy. Feel free to drop into out thread and hand out any advice you have gained from your experience.

It does not seem to be much of an association of geocachers if the website owner blocks people he does not like from accessing the site. As was suggested on the BCGeocaching.com website, perhaps it is merely Mr.Gigabytes Sandbox.

So here's what's happening... I'm browsing the forums on that site and suddenly the pages won't load. After testing from my other computer I determine the problem, or what I suspect it is. I force a change of my IP address on the computer I'm using and suddenly I can access the forums on that site again. Later that evening it happens again and I'm forced to change my IP address on the computer. I get to work this morning where I have also logged into the site and cannot access the entire site from here either. I am unable to change the work's IP address so cannot access the site from here. But from home I'll just keep on changing my IP address.

What I wonder though is why my IP address is getting blocked all the time? I guess someone doesn't want me playing in their sandbox. From what I hear (or read in my e-mails to me) I'm not the only one that has been blocked.

So not much of an "association" in my opinion. Oh well. Tough nuts! :unsure:

well i can't get into the forums... i think it's the web site... not that he hates us... but out of cuiriosity, RobertM Is it just the forums? or is it the actual website also?

I find it odd that they would ban you... and personaly i think it's a pile O' bull a poopay... Maybe i'm not filled in on some piece of puzzle... but who knows? i'll leave it at this untill i' find out the Remaining...

It was the entire site. I was blocked at the firewall level. After phoning Mr.G and speaking to him for about an hour he came up with an excuse that his firewall blocked a certain range of Shaw accounts (because of DoS attacks, on a Sunday though?), which just happened to be the 2 ranges of IP addresses I was using. Interesting thing though is that from work I use Telus, so I'm quite interested to hear the excuse about why I'd be blocked and have the same access problems from there too. But now it's all sorted out and I can access the site.

But...

After J5 posted his contraversial topic asking about me been blocked/banned the forums were brought down.

The entertainment never stops. :)

Seeing that the BCGeocaching.com (BC Geocaching Association) web site is down, and this is caching related to the community within Canada, and on topic in this topic I think it's okay that I post this message here.

I think some of the concerns many local BC geocachers are having with the current way going forward in terms of the BC Geocaching Association is the transparent manner and secrecy of various issues / way things are been done, as well as the many remaining unanswered questions as posed on the bcgeocaching.com website, not by me, but by others in fact.

Another potential issue that needs to be addressed is the whole process going forward from actual incorporation. This point has been raised in a message started by others as well. The current BC Societies Act, with which I am familiar and so are many others, is that nothing stipulates the time frame when the first directors are elected after the initial 5 (or minimum of 3 according to the act) are put in merely for conveniance of getting the association set up. I suggest that matters such as these be closely monitored and that all involved should push that these issues be addressed.

Another important point is accountability which is also mentioned in the act. Also conflict of interest is an important issue that needs to be monitored.

Basically there are many issues that need to be dealt with that are not directly laid out in the Act. By steamrolling ahead to get an association formed without the support of the local community and without ironing out the many issues that should be dealt with I don't think is the best approach. I'm aware (from a phone call with Mr.G) that certain applications have even been expedited to speed up part of the process.

I think another important point that needs to be considered is that many aspects in the association can be done on a volunteer basis. As such there should be no costs for example the volunteer work / time put in by say MrGigabyte / MarinerBC / WetCoastExplorers / Seneca / MrPeabody, etc. With in the BC caching community we have a LOT of various skills from lots of talented people, and why pay for something that could be done on a volunteer basis? The reason I mention this particular point is that I'm aware that MrGigabyte has apparently paid one of his programmers in his company to do some of the programming in PostNuke at quite a high rate it would seem. This concerns me.

My 2c. I look forward to hearing others' point of view / comments.

Thanks

RobertM

Edited for spelling and grammatical errors. :bad:

Edited by RobertM

Q: How many discussion board readers does it take to change a light bulb?

A:

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed.

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.

1 to demand that the post be moved to the "Lighting" section.

2 to argue that it be moved to the "Electrical" section.

7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs.

5 to flame the spell checkers.

3 to correct spelling/grammar flames.

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb"... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid.

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp".

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct.

19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum.

11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum.

36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty.

7 to post URLs where one can see examples of different light bulbs.

4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URLs.

3 to post about links they found from the URLs that are relevant to this group, which makes light bulbs relevant to this group.

13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too!".

5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy.

4 to say "Didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

13 to say "Do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs".

and then...

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.

getting this back on topic (sort of)

MBC any idea when the forums will be back up and running?

I was hoping for tonight, but will know much more tomorrow.

Sorry, folks. We had no idea that the BCGA Forums would be THIS popular. I will post in here when I know more.

Wow, this topic has been seriously derailed.

Any news on when/if the BCGA Forums will be back online, Mariner?

Any updates on the actual formation of an association?

Gorak

Geo 134

Wow, this topic has been seriously derailed. 

Any news on when/if the BCGA Forums will be back online, Mariner?

Any updates on the actual formation of an association?

Gorak

Maybe the Forums have been taken offline while the association is being formed in order to prevent the posting of dissenting views? Hmmmmmmm :lol:

Maybe the Forums have been taken offline while the association is being formed in order to prevent the posting of dissenting views? Hmmmmmmm  :lol:

I would hope that would not be the case. It is a logical forum for all BC geocachers to have input regarding the formation of an association that is to represent them. Perhaps, if the technical difficulties in resurrecting the BCGA Forums are insurmountable, the business of forming the associiation could be conducted publicly on this forum or another one created by a local volunteer expressly for that purpose.

Gorak

Geo 39DQW

what is the urgency in this matter?  B)

Because the wheels have been set in motion but the lines of communication to those they would represent have been cut off.

If we had the faith of a mustard seed...

...we still wouldn't be able to move mountains, despite what some carpenter preached. That requires excavators and an environmental assessment. B)

Gorak

Geo 12

If we had the faith of a mustard seed...

...we still wouldn't be able to move mountains, despite what some carpenter preached. That requires excavators and an environmental assessment.

He who cries foul about derailing just a couple posts back derails the thread himself - and of all things, by quoting a signature line and espousing his rhetoric.

How typical.

On topic - Have you tried to communicate with the website owner via private correspondance?

I've had a couple of posts deleted on this wonderful new site.  Anyone else or am I special?

I had a couple of posts deleted, but it made sense to do so. I started a thread asking a question about avatars. When all was said and done, the question and some of the discussion didn't make sense in context anymore, but the answer still did, so the early posts were deleted. No problem.

It's funny now though, as the thread still shows I started it, but I don't even have a post in it anymore.

Don't know what you had deleted, so I can't comment on that.

SylvrStorm

I had a couple of posts deleted, but it made sense to do so. I started a thread asking a question about avatars. When all was said and done, the question and some of the discussion didn't make sense in context anymore, but the answer still did, so the early posts were deleted. No problem.

It's funny now though, as the thread still shows I started it, but I don't even have a post in it anymore.

Don't know what you had deleted, so I can't comment on that.

SylvrStorm

It was discussed at length on the bcgeocaching site Sunday night; I'm not going to rehash it here, it was not a fruitful discussion.

I am however, still waiting for an answer.

Now someone has gone and done it - the site is down. I saw the word fatal and the word die and got out of there at light speed. Leave for a couple of hours and your whole world goes upside down. I wonder if the east end kid had a hand in this? Just get into a good soap opera and the network cancels it. Everybody out there please e-mail somebody to get my program back online. :(

The Lone Neuron :rolleyes: